Incredible $70 Upgrade

fredgarvin

fredgarvin

Re: Incredible $70 Upgrade
« Reply #41 on: 3 Sep 2017, 12:56 am »
Seriously, seriously.  Half the members of this forum use homebuilt diy equipment like tube amplifiers, or cheap Chinese tube amplifiers bought direct from China, or "modded" equipment by guys named Joe in a garage somewhere,  none of which have UL or CE certification.  It's an outlet with what appears to be appropriate sized wire. If you're using 200 watt Class A mono block amps that need a dedicated 20 amp circuit each, avoid this product. 

If you call and talk to the Mapleshade people about their "minimalist" philosophy,  things may make more sense.....or not. If you get the opportunity to audition their demonstration system in West Virginia, you might be surprised by what they achieve.

If it was a power cable instead of an outlet much linen would be getting soiled by these same folks.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #42 on: 3 Sep 2017, 01:10 am »
Are you sure about that?

Yeah, I've seen them in stores before too, I still don't think it's a great idea which is why I added "imo". It just seems like an odd choice of material to use.

srb

« Reply #43 on: 3 Sep 2017, 01:18 am »
Some manufacturers of wood wall plates offer models that have a metal backing which they say meets National Electrical Code compliance for flammability.

witchdoctor

« Reply #44 on: 3 Sep 2017, 02:03 am »
Yeah, I've seen them in stores before too, I still don't think it's a great idea which is why I added "imo". It just seems like an odd choice of material to use.

DaveC, thanks for joining my thread, why not just try one and report back? I know Mapleshade is a competitor but that's in the cable side, not outlets. I'll make sure and post if I smell smoke but no worries. I think you'll be fine.
Do you know Pierre Sprey from being in the cable industry?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #45 on: 3 Sep 2017, 02:52 am »
DaveC, thanks for joining my thread, why not just try one and report back? I know Mapleshade is a competitor but that's in the cable side, not outlets. I'll make sure and post if I smell smoke but no worries. I think you'll be fine.
Do you know Pierre Sprey from being in the cable industry?

Thanks! Personally, I'm a little wary of the wood plate and have not looked into whether it meets code, which I feel is important... I have never met Pierre but have some of his recordings, I like them a lot.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #46 on: 3 Sep 2017, 12:14 pm »
Really don't like the idea of a wooden faceplate (fire hazard).

BTW, hospital grade receptacles are randomly tested for "pull out" (to see how tight they grip the plug).

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #47 on: 3 Sep 2017, 12:27 pm »
I tend to agree ! I just  have 5 PS audio classic outlets solidly built, for $ 200.00 from PS audio website  turned off electrical  breaker switch, cleaned the wiring contacts and installed them ! Had my next door neighbor, who is an incredible electrician (worked for Lawrence livermore Labs for 23 years  before retiring) checked the wiring right through the Attic  and made it practically a dedicated line, he changed the breaker and of course  I have solar panels with a very clean inverter giving me clean energy for my main system, and the whole house  would I go for those maplewood outlets ? I think it would be a bit risky for the equipment itself. So I how does my system sound well  I am just happy  :D

I have three cryogenically treated hospital grade 20 amp duplex receptacles to serve my audio system, each wired to a dedicated 20 amp/12 gauge circuit, and all three wired to a separate ground.  Our 13 year old house has its own utility transformer.  Note that I've tried battery powered amps and DAC to no discernible advantage, but went to this extent as it only cost $100 to do "while we were at it".  Not dismissing the affects of power aberrations (the proper term) as I've heard them, but have never encountered them in this house or a 50 year old house that had a "rats nest" of an electrical system.  Two years ago added grid locked PV solar, so the power we use is from the utility.  Going "off-grid" as you suggest requires expensive batteries to account for clouds/nighttime use, so I surmise you're actually using utility power like we are. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #48 on: 3 Sep 2017, 12:30 pm »
To paraphrase the simpsons,  "if anyone knows about electricity, its the Amish"
If it can not be solved with a hammer you have an electrical problem.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #49 on: 3 Sep 2017, 01:33 pm »
The Home Depot product is a cover plate, it's not part of the mounting system. All the parts in the mounting system need to be listed for that particular use.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #50 on: 3 Sep 2017, 02:05 pm »
Someone mentioned 'grip'. Yes, I like a nice tight grip from an electrical socket too.
Some continue to have a good grip for many years. Others loose it.
Worst I owned was a Monster HTPS7000. After just a few plug ins they got sloppy loose.

The lack of grip is also why I called out all Leviton as being junk.

All the Pass & Seymour I have used, going back 20 years.... Have maintained a good tight grip.
So have the OEM outlets in both my Furman REF20i. (really tight!) (Unknown origin of the duplex)
And pretty good in my PS Audio P600. (PS Audio brand duplex)
Ditto the Acme (audiophile) silver plated outlets

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #51 on: 3 Sep 2017, 05:04 pm »
  Before one subjects Pierre or Ron to scrutiny and insult I suggest you look at their experience and qualifications. Pierre a Yale graduate was one of of our Secy of Defense "Wiz Kids" and Ron an accomplished EE.
  You may not like their outlet offering however not an excuse to bad mouth such learned and accomplished people. Yes I know them personally and DO NOT sell their products.
  Mapleshade has a minimalist approach to audio. Not for everyone however works very well for them and their customer base. Unless one has personally experienced Mapleshade products your opinions are moot.

charles

fredgarvin

« Reply #52 on: 3 Sep 2017, 06:00 pm »

I had them on the outlets here when we moved in 20 yrs ago. I replaced them too. Mainly because I didn't like the look, but I can see your point.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #53 on: 3 Sep 2017, 06:04 pm »
If it can not be solved with a hammer you have an electrical problem.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

fredgarvin

« Reply #54 on: 3 Sep 2017, 06:08 pm »
Some manufacturers of wood wall plates offer models that have a metal backing which they say meets National Electrical Code compliance for flammability.

Now that you mention it, I remember my old wooden plates had a metal backing. I'd forgotten that.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #55 on: 4 Sep 2017, 06:09 pm »
  Before one subjects Pierre or Ron to scrutiny and insult I suggest you look at their experience and qualifications. Pierre a Yale graduate was one of of our Secy of Defense "Wiz Kids" and Ron an accomplished EE.

If that's the case, I would have really liked to see their information on how they found any relevance of skin effect at 60Hz mains frequencies, and more importantly whether reducing contact area and conductor thickness still meets electrical/fire regulation for carrying specified household amperage ratings.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #56 on: 4 Sep 2017, 07:19 pm »
 :deadhorse:

witchdoctor

« Reply #57 on: 4 Sep 2017, 09:15 pm »
If that's the case, I would have really liked to see their information on how they found any relevance of skin effect at 60Hz mains frequencies, and more importantly whether reducing contact area and conductor thickness still meets electrical/fire regulation for carrying specified household amperage ratings.

If you call Pierre will talk shop with you. I think its better just to try it