Has Anyone Heard VR33's vs VR35's??

smilach

Has Anyone Heard VR33's vs VR35's??
« on: 24 May 2017, 01:02 am »
I currently own a pair of VR-33's driven by a Spectron Musician III Mk and fed by a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC.  In terms of space, I need a speaker that can be placed close to a wall.  What difference in sound might I expect if I replaced my VR-33's with a pair of VR-35's??

KLH007

Re: Has Anyone Heard VR33's vs VR35's??
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2017, 02:10 pm »
Call up VSA and ask?

SundayNiagara

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2017, 07:54 pm »
In theory at least, they should be a lot more revealing of what is upstream.

BigSwede

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2017, 06:43 pm »
Yeah, same design with upgraded components, so I would expect more refinement and detail... but I haven't heard the VR-35 so I am just speculating.

bside123

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2017, 07:21 pm »
I own the VR-35s with the upgrades. Have not heard the VR-33s, except for once in a hotel room at a show.

VR-35s --- GOOD! They like high current power.

There have been a few threads on this subject here on AC. Just do a search

smilach

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2017, 01:55 am »
I own the VR-35s with the upgrades. Have not heard the VR-33s, except for once in a hotel room at a show.

VR-35s --- GOOD! They like high current power.

There have been a few threads on this subject here on AC. Just do a search

I did do a search.  I could find plenty of posts comparing the two speakers but the discussions always came down to cabinet construction, drivers and components but nowhere did I find a post that discussed the difference in sound between the two.  I could find posts where individuals opined the VR-35 would be more "transparent" given the "improvements" made to the design but nothing from someone who had made a comparison.  The other posts would describe the sound of the VR-33 or the VR-35 but comment only upon one of the two.

My next step was to go through 27 pages of posts in this circle going back to late 2009 and found the same things.  I'm looking for input from someone who has listened to both speakers and can comment on how they sounded, what was different and what was the same.

I wouldn't have posted my question if I had found the answer in a search or in scanning 7 years of posts in this circle. If I have overlooked a post somewhere I offer my apologies to everyone here and would be extremely grateful for a link sending me to the correct info.

Regarding amplifier power, I was using a Spectron Musician III with the cap upgrades on my VR-4 Gen II's and I am enjoying its sound with my current VR-33's.  :icon_lol:

smilach

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2017, 04:17 pm »
Call up VSA and ask?

Albert is both knowledgeable and brilliant but some of the statements he makes regarding his speakers remind me of a used car salesman.  I am not saying he is dishonest or is not trustworthy but I would prefer to hear from someone who has actually heard both the VR-33 & VR-35.  Yes, that person might not provide the ultimate insight on both speakers but they do not have any financial interest in the choice(s) I make.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2017, 09:12 pm »
Albert is both knowledgeable and brilliant but some of the statements he makes regarding his speakers remind me of a used car salesman.  I am not saying he is dishonest or is not trustworthy but I would prefer to hear from someone who has actually heard both the VR-33 & VR-35.  Yes, that person might not provide the ultimate insight on both speakers but they do not have any financial interest in the choice(s) I make.

..I've had lots of interaction with Albert and think your used car salesman analogy is patently unfair.  No question he's passionate about this business and his designs but never deceitful..IMO

SundayNiagara

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2017, 11:16 pm »
..I've had lots of interaction with Albert and think your used car salesman analogy is patently unfair.  No question he's passionate about this business and his designs but never deceitful..IMO

I've never heard that either.

tvyankee

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2017, 06:57 pm »
I agree what was said.

smilach

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2017, 05:03 am »

My post specifically stated I was not accusing Albert of being dishonest or not being trustworthy.  'Nuff said.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2017, 04:48 pm »
My post specifically stated I was not accusing Albert of being dishonest or not being trustworthy.  'Nuff said.

..not quite enough said.  Referring to anyone as a used car salesman is hardly a positive endorsement where I come from..

SundayNiagara

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2017, 08:39 pm »
..not quite enough said.  Referring to anyone as a used car salesman is hardly a positive endorsement where I come from..

Where is the 'Like' button?

Believe it or not, I know a good used car salesman. :)

mdconnelly

« Reply #13 on: 7 Aug 2017, 02:37 pm »
Sorry I missed this post earlier.    I have owned the VR-35s for several years now (love them!) and I did get to hear a pair of VR-33s briefly awhile back, albeit not in my room nor with my components.  To be honest, I don't recall the components used to drive the VR-33s so I'm not likely to provide any earth-shattering insights.  What I can say is that they are physically identical and my take was that they sound quite similar - no surprise - but a clear nod to the 35s across the board.  What I do recall thinking at the time was that the 35s had a much better defined and responsive bottom end, but that could have been the electronics or room.  Still, I'm totally confident that the VR-35s accomplish exactly what Albert set out to do... to create the best speaker he can given the fundamental design philosophy of the VR-33s.   If you like your VR-33s then I'm certain you'll love the VR-35s.  Your Spectron and PS Audio DAC will certainly make the VR-35s sing.

For what it's worth, IMO Albert is beyond reproach although I totally agree that there's great value in hearing from customers with experience.  With that said, there are probably few individuals that fully understand both the design and sonic differences between these speakers as Albert does.  I've always found him quite responsive so if you are on the fence, I'd suggest you try to reach out to him or someone at VSA.

Good luck!

pack66184

« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2017, 05:02 pm »
I owned the 33's for several years, they were my first venture into a high end speaker before moving into the Unifield 3's. After all the research and reading I called VSA to place my order. Albert answered the phone and we discussed the hobby, my current amp, and compatiblity well over an hour before he asked if I was ready to purchase. That conversation cemented my respect and loyalty to VSA.

htradtk

« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2017, 11:56 pm »
Let me chime in here. VSA is the best in the business! Back in 2008, I originally ordered a pair of VR-5SE's. about two weeks later my dealer calls me and said that Albert has a brand new model just introduced: VR-5 Anniversary and ask if I wanted the new model, of course I said yes! Then in 2012, I sent them to VSA for the MKII upgrade. Again VSA is very customer oriented! They treat the customer like family! Now on November 4th I will finally meet the VSA team at the Capital Audio Fest! Very excited!

Henry