2ch system in front of built-in cabinets

SFDude

2ch system in front of built-in cabinets
« on: 9 Jan 2020, 01:36 am »
Does anyone have a setup where they have placed their system in front of built-in cabinets which surround a fireplace?

How does this affect acoustics and what sort of treatment options/ideas do you recommend?

Additionally, I haven’t sorted out if I want to place gear inside the built-in cabinets or use a rack off to the side wall. For those who have placed their gear inside the built-in cabinets, what sort of special work did you do to ensure things were a) well-ventilated, b) cabling especially to speakers were able to be placed without keeping a cabinet door open?

Any pictures of your setup would also help with ideas! Thanks.

-dave

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: 2ch system in front of built-in cabinets
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2020, 12:11 pm »
Are the cabinets deep enough for the gear?

Can you just remove the doors? 

Do you have electrical power to the cabinets?

Can you route speaker cable behind/below the fireplace? 

Acoustically randomly filled open cabinets would provide a bit of diffusion.  High volume (sound pressure) levels could cause the cabinets/doors to vibrate.  Closed cabinets/fireplace is less than ideal and precludes front wall treatment, but should be better than lots of glass or possibly even bare plaster/drywall. 

SFDude

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2020, 04:08 pm »
JLM, hopefully some pics will answer your questions.

Here's the system as it is temporarily set up:

I am unsure whether acoustic treatments along the upper shelves would be worthwhile or placing random objects that allow for diffusion/absorption characteristics is sufficient. You can see a curtain on the left (thick felt) which helps tame the first point reflections off the left side (which are windows). The right side has built-in bookcases which are helping with first point reflections off the right.

The rear of the room opens up into my kitchen area so I don't have much issues dealing with rear wall reflections.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2020, 04:17 pm »
I would just set some QRD style diffusion in the rear wave of the speakers.  I would also consider putting deep absorbers in the top shelf on each side for a bit of bass control.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2020, 07:19 pm »
I would just set some QRD style diffusion in the rear wave of the speakers.  I would also consider putting deep absorbers in the top shelf on each side for a bit of bass control.

VG advice listen to bpape.

charles

SFDude

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2020, 07:37 pm »
Thanks.

bpape: Would the deep absorbers be placed on the upper leftmost and rightmost shelves? The shelves are adjustable and, hence I can occupy the entire cabinet space with absorbers or partially.

And I'm unsure what sizing for the QRD diffusors would be needed. Just speaker height and width?