DAC-9SE and external Headphone Amplifier

Relayer_CR

DAC-9SE and external Headphone Amplifier
« on: 10 Aug 2021, 08:27 pm »
HI, I'm interested in DAC-9SE.  However, I already have a headphone amplifier, I'd like to know how can I connect my headphone amp and DAC-9SE.  The headphone amp has it's own volume control, do if I connect it to DAC 9SE by means of xlr or rca, will I have something like a pre connected to a pre, I mean, 2 pres!  Would it work fine?  Or is there any option to use DAC-9SE with fixed volume. 

So at the same time I need to connect DAC-9SE to a stereo amplifier, I'd like to have it connected to the amplifier and to the headphone amplifier.  Can I do this with DAC-9SE?

I decided not to go with Alita because I have a headphone amp.

Regards!

José M:

rustydoglim

Re: DAC-9SE and external Headphone Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2021, 08:45 pm »
For a good preamp design, a fixed volume is the same as a preamp with the setting "fixed" (ie don't touch it :)). So, set DAC-9SE to any volume (start with mid level) that sounds good with your preamp, then just leave the volume setting (it is auto memorised) alone. 
See this FAQ: https://nuprimeaudio.com/ufaqs/what-kind-of-volume-control-and-preamp-do-you-use-for-your-dac/
A DAC doesn't really use the analog volume control (it is there for the analog input, that's where the confusion comes from).

DAC-9SE has two sets of outputs, you can connect the XLR to amp and RCA to headphone amp.

Relayer_CR

Re: DAC-9SE and external Headphone Amplifier
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2021, 08:48 pm »
Thank you very much for your very fast answer, excellent information!