Audiophile Society (Sydney)

HumanMedia

Audiophile Society (Sydney)
« on: 11 Aug 2006, 03:46 am »
Does anyone got to these last-sunday-of-every-month meetups here in Sydney?

Are they worthwhile?

jules

Re: Audiophile Society (Sydney)
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2006, 04:41 am »
Interesting question ....

If there's anyone out there who is a member of the Sydney audio soc, or any other Aus. audio soc. they are most welcome to use this forum to give their group some online presence and maybe give us an idea of what sort of rites and rituals they perform in their gatherings :bowdown:

jules

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2006, 06:01 am »
I don't know anything about them... :oops: altho I'm curious...

Greg Erskine

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2006, 08:03 am »
Here is a link to their website www.audiophiles-nsw.com.

jules

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2006, 11:50 pm »
Thanks Greg,

I nearly stopped at the home page when I read "where the aesthetics in sound is the obsession and the aesthetics in music the raison d'aitre .... " but there's some material in there that's well worth a browse.

errr, you didn't write the motto did you?

jules

HumanMedia

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2006, 12:07 am »
Im going to head out there on Aug 27 to see what its like.

They are having a CD Player shootout of 5-8 models.

Apparently you come check it out for free, but if you want to regularly come to meetings there is an AUD$40 fee.

Venue:  Haberfield Community Centre,
              78-80 Dalhousie Rd, Haberfield.
Date:    Sunday August 27th, 2006
Time:   3 PM to 6 PM
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2006, 12:20 am by HumanMedia »

jules

« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2006, 12:14 am »
Thanks for the details HM,

It's a bit far away for me but it could form a gathering point for other AudioCircle people who happen to be near there.

Maybe you could give us your impressions of the CD players afterwards if you like?

jules

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2006, 01:04 am »
Date:    Sunday February 26th, 2006

Hm, that can't be right...  :scratch:

jules

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2006, 01:27 am »
Ah yes ... I checked their website and that appears to have been the date of their last meeting [though it's listed as the date for their next].

Their next intended meeting is apparently in August but I couldn't see a date in there. I've emailed Justin Lam to get something definite.

jules

HumanMedia

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2006, 12:20 am »

Hm, that can't be right...  :scratch:

Oops, should be Sunday 27th August 2006.

jules

« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2006, 05:10 am »
Meeting this coming sunday  .......

Haberfield Community Centre
78 Dalhousie rd.,
Haberfield

Jules

THIS MONTH ... UPMARKET CD SHOOTOUT!!

HumanMedia

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2006, 08:55 am »
The meetup was good fun.

Some knowledgable people out there, and they brought some good equipment.

The winner of the CDP shootout was the Cary.  (Sorry, I dont have a list of all the players)

I think I will go again.

ipy

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2006, 07:06 am »
.......  (Sorry, I dont have a list of all the players)........

I understand from an Audio Dealer that it might include a Linn CD12 & perhaps one of the Ayre CDP as well.....

amdan

« Reply #13 on: 9 Oct 2006, 08:10 am »
The 'winner' was the Cary 303/300. The other players were an Ayre, Linn LP12, Audio Aerole(spelling?) and a modified Pioneer.

The society meeting can be a lot fun. A lot more shootouts are planned and member feedback is welcome. The next meeting features a interconnect shootout.

Anybody interested should come out and join us one Sunday. There is no obligation. The members are a friendly bunch. However, do let one of us know that you are coming so that we can look after you! You are welcome to contact me on email or post here.

garf

« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2006, 12:17 am »
hi,
i've never attended a meetup like this. May I know when is the next one? Thanks!

HumanMedia

« Reply #15 on: 9 Nov 2006, 08:31 am »
hi,
i've never attended a meetup like this. May I know when is the next one? Thanks!

I believe they are the last Sunday of every(?) month.

garf

« Reply #16 on: 9 Nov 2006, 01:16 pm »
I believe you guys are talking abt ASoN. If so, the next meeting (according to their website) should then be the Christmas Party in November (26th?). Perhaps Amdan can clarify with the date/time/venue?

navi

« Reply #17 on: 9 Nov 2006, 02:07 pm »
The 'winner' was the Cary 303/300. The other players were an Ayre, Linn LP12, Audio Aerole(spelling?) and a modified Pioneer.

The society meeting can be a lot fun. A lot more shootouts are planned and member feedback is welcome. The next meeting features a interconnect shootout.

Anybody interested should come out and join us one Sunday. There is no obligation. The members are a friendly bunch. However, do let one of us know that you are coming so that we can look after you! You are welcome to contact me on email or post here.

Hey Amdan

What Amps/speakers and cables did you use in the shoot out?

amdan

« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov 2006, 03:28 am »
hi,

The meetings are held on the last Sunday of the month. The next meeting is on the 26th of November. Note that this is the last meeting until February. They are held at the Haberfield Community Centre, 78 Dalhousie Rd., Haberfield .
You are welcome to join a couple of our meetings to see what we do. After that you will have to apply for membership if you would like to continue coming. If you do come, please let me know.  There is a joining process which requires 2 referees within ASON. If we don't know who you are we won't be able to provide a reference. I will be at the next meeting. Ask for Suhendran.

amdan

« Reply #19 on: 10 Nov 2006, 04:03 am »
By the way the next meeting will have the following equipment

Preamp :    Bel Canto DAC3/pre-amp

Amp:      Bel Canto Reference 1000 power amp

CDP:      Musical Fidelity Class A valve CDP

The speakers are yet undetermined. The Bel Canto equipment is provided by War Audio in Perth.