2012 TDF

LadyDog

2012 TDF
« on: 1 Jul 2012, 03:59 pm »
Guess it is time to start the 2012 Tour De France thread.  Always a good time of year for us bikers.

I'll go out on a limb and say somewhat of an upset, neither Cadel or Wiggins is going to win it.

Nick77

Re: 2012 TDF
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2012, 09:19 pm »
I was sure thinking this was Andy's year, just found out he previously crashed out with a broken hip.  :(

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2012, 11:19 pm »
Yep, Andy is out.  Very sad because he would have made this a better race.  Great time trial by Sparticus! 

LadyDog

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jul 2012, 01:52 am »
My dark horse, Frank S.  Guess we'll see.

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2012, 04:30 pm »
It's still REALLY early but I'm going to go with Wiggins (I know it's not a stretch...).  Cuddles looks tough and I'm sure he will keep his team in it but I don't think he can do it again.  Schelck is a great mountain rider and has a very good chance (unless he crashed today and I'm behind on my news) but he's a bad time trial racer and would need to build up a huge pad in order to have a chance. 

My dark horse is Levi.  He's coming off a broken leg but is looking good.  Maybe I'm biased because he's an old bald dude.  I would love to see him in the top three or in yellow either way.  I also like that kid who won yesterday, the Slovak (forgot his name, I think it's Segan or something like that).  He's only 21 and has almost no chance.

It sucks that my favorite riders have almost no chance of winning.  My favorite, Fabian Cancellara (who I feel is the best all-around cyclist in the world) is too big to win the tour (too heavy) and coming off a major injury.  He doesn't quite have the majic of the Big Mig to pull it off.  They also say he's saving it for the Olympics but I don't buy it.  A TDF win is way cooler than a stack of gold medals. 

LadyDog

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2012, 02:46 am »
As you said Jack, a lot of stages to go.  Tour seems geared a bit more to those who can do both the time trials and the mountains.

SPOILER ALERT:

Not a real big Cavendish fan, so was not rooting for him today.