VMB-1...great amp!

TomekZ

VMB-1...great amp!
« on: 31 Oct 2005, 03:47 pm »
Having had about 8 different chip/gainclone/LM3875/LM3886 type amps, I recently bought a pair of the VMB-1 mono blocks. I bought these on the recommendation of a friend who also had numerous chip amps. He suggested that the CI VMB-1 was superior to all others, though allowed that each of the others had their own virtues. Now after three weeks burn-in (the VMB-1 was near new when I received it), I concur with my friend. The CI has the greatest extension and detailed bass and treble and a very clear and detailed midrange. It is more discriminating of recording quality, yet remains most liquid in texture.  Also it seems to hold complex orchestral music together without blurring. All of the other chip amps seemed to have rather simple powersupplies, which is where the CI goes a different route, I believe.

I've one question about speaker loading. Presently, I'm using 8 ohm single driver speakers, but was thinking of building a dipole with the result being a choice of either a 4 or 16 ohm load. Is there any concern with either of these two speaker loads.

~Tom

CIAudio

VMB-1...great amp!
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2005, 08:56 pm »
Glad you're enjoying the VMB-1's. We not only use a good power supply section, but also our circuitry around the amp IC is different then most.

The 4 ohm load should be fine providing it doesn't dip much below that, and the speakers are of good efficiency.

el84bill

Re: VMB-1...great amp!
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2009, 01:52 pm »
Got a pair on the way...can't wait to give them a go... :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: VMB-1...great amp!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2009, 03:42 pm »
Too bad they're no longer in production.  I ended up with Tom's old pair and love them.  Very well built (overbuilt actually).  If they fit your spl/ohm needs, you should be very happy with them.