Rega P2 W/F how to fix

mflaming

Rega P2 W/F how to fix
« on: 27 Jan 2022, 05:21 pm »
The Rega wow/flutter issue is much discussed in all the Rega forums, so I hope this post isn't too redundant.

I have a P2 from around 2001 and the w/f is at about 0.5%. It is unlistenable for certain albums with sustained tones. Anything with steel guitar for instance.

I've looked into the 24V upgrade motor for $250 and then there's the power supply for another $450. Maybe that will fix it, but then I've read about a hum that the 24v conversion will possibly introduce. I've already put a new $50 belt on.

Should I start down this upgrade path or just bail and get a Technics or something with an accurate direct drive?

toocool4

Re: Rega P2 W/F how to fix
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2022, 07:18 pm »
Have you tried to contact Rega, just to see what they recommend?
Also the amount of money you are thinking of spending, have you thought about trading in your current P2 and moving up the Rega line?

mflaming

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2022, 10:49 pm »
I hadn't even thought to contact Rega since its 20 years old, but will try.
For replacement, I'll probably move on from Rega to something else.

rotarius

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2022, 11:35 pm »
I have owned the older P2 without the 24v motor and it did not have such an issue.  You could just get a replacement motor for it.  Although you will never get the speed stability of a quartz lock DD, it wasn't too shabby. The arm was great but everything  else is barely passable.  The reason why Rega fans spend a lot on upgrades.  I ended up putting a Rega arm on a Technics SL-1210 and it turned out great.