Thinking about a Norh ACA 2b - opinions?

Alexdad54

Thinking about a Norh ACA 2b - opinions?
« on: 8 Sep 2009, 02:29 pm »
Hi, first post here...
I have been looking for a good "budget" tube preamp for a while now (see the Salk Circle) and have had a couple of people recommend the ACA 2B. I've been in contact with Michael Barnes and his staff and could get one here in less than two weeks. To be honest, what makes me hesitate (apart from wondering a bit how it will mate with my B&K EX4420 SS amp for a tube sound) is the question of potential future service and/or repair. Thailand is a long way to send something if any issues arise.I have thought about sticking to an older, more mainstream company as it would be easier but I have heard really good things about the 2B's sound.
Can anyone provide their opinions/suggestions re this issue and also how it sounds in their systems? It's not a lot of $$$ to risk but I'd like to be as knowledgeable as possible before I decide.
cheers,
Dave

avta

Re: Thinking about a Norh ACA 2b - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2009, 08:02 pm »
Welcome Dave. I have one but no longer use it. I moved on to other things.  It's a nice pre and certainly worth the price however the issue about service is a real one although you might be able to find service locally.

Alexdad54

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2009, 09:08 pm »
Welcome Dave. I have one but no longer use it. I moved on to other things.  It's a nice pre and certainly worth the price however the issue about service is a real one although you might be able to find service locally.
That's what worried me a bit as it's a circuit board not point to point and I haven't a clue if a tech would want to touch it, even if I could find one here in Philly.....looks like such a sweet item though......

truant

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2009, 01:15 am »
I had one more than a few years ago when it came out.  As I recall it has a very lively(bold & beefy)and engaging sound though a bit ragged.  It was not particularly friendly to tube rolling which frustrated me.  Perhaps this is no longer the case. On the heels of the Norh I bought a Dodd pre which was much more refined but not quite as lively.  I had it connected to a pair of IRD monoblocks. I'm throwing you a curve here but for not much more $ you could buy a lightly used ONIX/Melody SP3 integrated.  I don't have mine anymore but I do miss it from time to time.