The spring TAAS Meet (yesterday)

lo_tse

The spring TAAS Meet (yesterday)
« on: 4 May 2008, 02:30 pm »
To me, this is probably the most enjoyable gethering so far. :thumb: :thumb:  Relax atmosphere, great hospitality (again, thanks to Tony and his lovely wife for hosting the meet) and lots of listening to different gears.  The "Frankenstein speakers" (just kidding) with the dipolar tweeters transplant that Igor brought were amazing.  Not to mention the speaker stands that he had the courage (and stamina) to bring with it. The woofer is just outstanding.  I was also very impresed with that little DAC sitting on top of that piece of wood "au naturel". 

Overall, it was a great saturday afternoon.  Great to meet with the guys again to chat about anything audio.  Thank you again Mark and Tony for organising the gethering.  Looking forward for the next one.

Allan

markC

Re: The spring TAAS Meet (yesterday)
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2008, 03:32 pm »
I had a lot of fun yesterday. It was a smaller turn out than previous, but allowed for a more intimate setting. We laughed and joked about anything and everything. We also listened to a lot of great tunes and gear. Eaphan's little flea power D.I.Y tube amp was cool. It actually was able to fill Tony's large room to acceptable listening levels on 90ish db speaks.
Igor's speakers were quite amazing in that I've yet to hear a mid-bass driver run wide open without any x-over without any break-up, beaming or other nasties. The natural roll-off of the MB driver with a single cap for the tweets produced great, room filling music. Also his little "Dac on a slab" was quite impressive.
Thanks to all that attended for a great afternoon. We'll do it again in the fall.

wafermadness

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2008, 04:49 pm »
Thanks to those kind words guys, but take it easy cuz my hat doesn't fit now! This gives me more incentive to "collaborate" with Dr Frankenfurtive in my basement lab, and keep playing with some swell ideas...... (adjusts hump now) aa

But seriously, we all learned that talking and "doing" are two very different things. Just because we cannot explain something in scientific "white paper" terms does not mean it cannot or will not work in the "real world". If it wasn't for tweakers, experimentors or "thinkers", then we would all still be listening to 50-year-old designs...... :cry:

Big thanks to Tony and Phylis of course, Mark for his many organizational skills and to all the members who turned out. It was great to participate in such a fun and friendly gig.

Best Regards

Igor

aerius

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2008, 05:32 pm »
I had way too much fun at the meet and almost choked on an almond cookie when I couldn't stop laughing, I think someone has a picture of that.  Surprisingly my dinky little amp worked pretty well with Tony's big speakers as long as the volume wasn't cranked up too high, but it farted out badly when asked to drive Igor's speakers.  Speaking of which, the back to back tweeter contraption is one of those things which intuitively seems wrong in 10 million ways, but somehow it sounds freakin' good.

Also, this is the first time I've ever seen a home with a urinal.  I was like buh?  You can't be serious, and then "dang, it really is real!"

A few pictures from the meet

Us humans weren't the only ones having fun

Wide angle of the room

The trademark speaker lean

A group "how the heck does that darn thing work?!" moment

wafermadness

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2008, 05:20 pm »
Hey All! :D
It was quite the afternoon, I once again thank all who made it possible and to all the great people who where there.
I finally uploaded some small pics of the event to my gallery. Feel free to check them out, they certainly make me chuckle..... :lol:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;user=40110

Best Regards

Igor

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2008, 02:23 am »

Another classic "Lonewolf Lean" (tm) by Pat, showing his proficiency at this craft......

markC

« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2008, 02:30 am »
Very good Igor. Your too damned funny! It truly was a great time and we'll do it all again in the fall.

bluemike

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2008, 03:33 am »
Wow I should be on the cover of GQ  :lol: :lol:

It was truly a good time thanks to Tony and the group for making it happen

Pat