here is a plug for VAC amps

2bigears

here is a plug for VAC amps
« on: 14 Dec 2006, 02:16 am »
selling a 30/30 ren sig mk3 as i just bought a 12k dollar SET.the sound difference was not too far apart.this is a testament to VAC gear for sure.those guys make good stuff.the journey continues    :D :) :DPat

Jon L

Re: here is a plug for VAC amps
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2006, 03:53 am »
Hmm.  That's interesting.  I've used a VAC Renaissance 30/30 MkII for years, and armed with nice NOS VT231 and AVVT 32B tubes, it sounds fabulous, but I also hear a large difference in sound signature vs. SET amps.  One is not necessarily better or worse, but they do sound quite different in presentation IME :scratch:

I assume that $12K SET is 300B based, but may I ask which one and what speakers were used?

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:00 am »
went to an 845 tube 24wpc.feed Zu Defs. next move is room teatment. :) :D:D

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:02 am »
went to an 845 tube 24wpc.feed Zu Defs. next move is room teatment. :) :D:D

2bigears,

Are you local to us here?

Cheers

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2006, 04:50 am »
  look a little west,Alberta. :D :) :D

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2006, 09:11 am »
big removal of the above first listen/impression.this new piece kicks some ass.P/P and SET are far apart.SET is really--really neat stuff.i moved the listening position to 1/3 room,am playing with speaker placement,will need some acoustic panels at first points,and things should be true hi-fi.these SET mono blocks work gloriously with the Zu Defs,most excellent combo,this is what the Zu boys want the world to hear.finally after a seemingly long flight,this is starting to take shape.thank the man above for that and this site for help and guidance.there is more to this hobby than meets the eye for sure.synergy is a big big thing,the system has  to connect in friendly way.also,not having brick and mortar stores in sight does not help,the type of music you play dictates type of gear...on and on.fun stuff :D :) :D  p.s.VAC is good,may have to roll some driver tubes and see what happens if i can't sell her.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2006, 09:25 am »
So Pat....what amp do you now have ?
Glad its working out for you..... :thumb:

Chris

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2006, 09:40 am »
hi Chris,thks.i went with the Audion 845's.they line up with Zu well.even with a bright room,the gear is sounding very nice.just need a few panels to trap some bass.not sure where to go for panels.is there a better panel,or are they equal in build/sonics???? :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2006, 09:53 am »
Nice Pat....enjoy !!!
As for panels....there are plenty....I have no personal fav.
Head over to the Acoustic Circle, and look around. It will give you some ideas.
You can post and see what you need to get the best out of your room.
Keep the music flowing........   Chris