I made it into Bound for Sound! - Well, kinda!!!

Spirit

• Facilitator
I made it into Bound for Sound! - Well, kinda!!!
« on: 13 Dec 2006, 10:19 pm »
Quoted from the Nov 2006 issue of BFS which I just received today:
Written by the Publisher Martin DeWulf:
"In the last issue of BFS, I spoke of our new coffee percolator that had a standard IEC connector for the AC.  When I saw the superb pluggage on the pot, my first thought was of attaching an audiophile approved power cord for the purpose of "improving the quality" of the coffee brewed.  Yes, I was speaking with tongue in cheek, yet several responses came forward.  One of those responses referred me to a Canadian based audio publication which claimed that an audiphile AC cord, when attached to an electric pot used to boil water, caused the water ro come to a boil quciker than it did with the standard cord that came with the appliance.  I am yet to check out the Canadian claim."
And who was the little Canadian Blue Jay who told Marty about this......yes, yours truly, your humble Moderator, Spirit.
BTW - here is the original claim which still appears in the "The Audiophile Store" section of UHF Magazine which is based in Montreal. I quote:
"Hospital Grade connection:
When we put a quality AC plug on our kettle boiling time dropped by 90 seconds! The best AC plug we have ever seen is......."
Those of you who attended our first meeting may recall that I asked Peter McAlister about this claim and he thought it was, to put it bluntly, rubbish.
Anybody want to comment?

DonnieW

Re: I made it into Bound for Sound! - Well, kinda!!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2006, 11:01 pm »
Well I took that to the University of Toronto AP dept.  Before they even let me in the door they asked me whether the voltage was stabilized for the test?? 

Good question.

I've not read the article, however, if there is a voltage fluctuation there would be considerable variation to the results.

Enter my test...

I've got a decent voltage stabilizer ( +/- .1 volts) and a great Black and Decker Audiophile kettle.  I'd love to try this at home with a bunch of cords.

Dan Banquer

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2006, 11:02 pm »
Try taking a voltage and current measurement and get back to us.
                           d.b.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2006, 11:02 pm »
Certainly should be easy to verify...except which kettle, with which standard plug, and which audiophile AC plug?

I have a 1500W kettle that can boil x amount of water in 4 minutes. 90 seconds would be a huge delta!

So the concept, again, with an "audiophile plug" is that more current can flow due to less resistance?

DonnieW

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2006, 11:10 pm »
I need a coffee so I might as well try this out.  Pre-flight (normalizing) checks that seem in order:

Check the temperature of the water before the kettle is on

Ensure the kettle itself is not retaining heat from a previous boil

Plot voltage/amperage in the event there is a change

Use exactly the same amount of water  each time (say 3 times per cord alternating) :duh:

Anything else?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2006, 11:11 pm »
I've got a decent voltage stabilizer ( +/- .1 volts) and a great Black and Decker Audiophile kettle.  I'd love to try this at home with a bunch of cords.

You seem to have a lot of interesting stuff at your disposal there DonnieW. You don't happen to be friends with "Q" by any chance, do you? :o :lol:

Cheers

Dan Banquer

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2006, 11:12 pm »
I need a coffee so I might as well try this out.  Pre-flight (normalizing) checks that seem in order:

Check the temperature of the water before the kettle is on

Ensure the kettle itself is not retaining heat from a previous boil

Plot voltage/amperage in the event there is a change

Use exactly the same amount of water  each time (say 3 times per cord alternating) :duh:

Anything else?

Sounds good from here.
    d.b.

ZLS

« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2006, 11:52 pm »
aa   Of course you must extend the study further and substitute Audiophile grade wall sockets.  The ultimate of course would be the $50 non reasonant wall socket plates, the sound of the steam whistling must not be allowed to effect the findings.

DonnieW

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2006, 12:02 am »
Test is in progress... Need two more cycles with each cable.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2006, 12:13 am »
I'll have a mochachino thanks...

Cheers :beer:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2006, 12:30 am »
The best part of all of this was the letter BFS recieved and published from an Italian reader.
He went into great detail about preparing food with 4 Pyrex deep dish crock pots from @1965 modified of course to accept expensive power cords with dedicated  AC lines. They wired in phase/out grounded/lifted.
Every variable was accounted for and the playing field was leveled.
At the end of the extensive taste testing the conclusion was...... I guess you will have to order the November issue of BFS to find out.

Lin  :D
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2006, 12:42 am by opnly bafld »

DonnieW

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2006, 01:49 am »
Okay... I'm done.  By no means was this critically scientific, however, it was done with enough care to satisfy my curiousity. 

It's not worth getting into too much detail, however, it makes sense to mention the equipment.

Component:  Black & Decker 1500W Direct Element Kettle
Cable 1: Stock three-pronger from B&D (white)
Cable 2: Furutech FI-25M(G) through 6' of 10/3 OFC to FI-25(G)  (retails for $240 I'm told - loaner from friend while I wait for [cough cough] a freebie)
Power Source: Standard Leviton 15A outlet - Feed from APC Smart-UPS 2200VA 1980W 120V AVR
Testing Liquid: Stock Tap Water (Peel's Finest)

** I found out that an aftermarket IEC doesn't plug into a kettle due to the molding of the plug-hole.  Therefore I had to take the kettle apart to get the Furutech plug to mate.

The Contenders

The Results

Spirit

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2006, 01:52 am »
Should have used a Cuisinart!
Great work - you're a dedicated Audiophile!
I will email you tomorrow about the cough you have.  I may have something to
soothe it.

DonnieW

« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2006, 02:10 am »
I need to read the actual article to understand what the motivation and point of the test was.  Each electrical engineer I spoke with seemed to think that (at face value) the test would be meaningless.  I want to know the objective of the test... what bearing does it have on cable purchase decisions?  I want a good cable for it's durability, connection (contact) quality and shielding.  Those are difficult to measure, but are likely what contributes to a better power cable.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2006, 02:19 am »
DonnieW,

Man, you're the bomb! ( or is it the buzz? ). That's too funny! :lol:

The great Black & Decker coffee wrecker power cord showdown!! :guns:

Makes the showdown at the OK Corral look like a tea party!!  :lol: :lol:

Cheers

DonnieW

« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2006, 02:25 am »
DonnieW,

Man, you're the bomb! ( or is it the buzz? ). That's too funny! :lol:

The great Black & Decker coffee wrecker power cord showdown!! :guns:

Makes the showdown at the OK Corral look like a tea party!!  :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Speaking of tea... I forgot to mention that the tea I made during the testing tasted better when boilded with the AUDIOPHILE cable  :lol:

Yorgi

« Reply #16 on: 14 Dec 2006, 05:30 am »
Donnie you are the best.  That was a great test and your determination in pulling apart the kettle to get the Furutech to fit had me on the floor.

Did you notice any difference in the temperature of the cables after the kettle boiled?  My stock kettle cable is hot to the touch after use.

DonnieW

« Reply #17 on: 14 Dec 2006, 11:47 am »
Donnie you are the best.  That was a great test and your determination in pulling apart the kettle to get the Furutech to fit had me on the floor.

Did you notice any difference in the temperature of the cables after the kettle boiled?  My stock kettle cable is hot to the touch after use.

Ya it was fun... too bad it's 6:30AM and I need a coffee - an the thing is still in pieces   :duh:

Funny you bring up the cable temperature.  I did notice the stock cable was probably 20 to 30 degree C more than ambient, whereas the Furutech was no more than ambient.  I didn't mention it because there are obviously insulation differences that might be keeping the outside of the bigger cable cool thus misleading us to think it's running cooler.  That said, there is something to your observation Yorgi... it is a 10/3 cable - so when loaded up it should run cooler than say a 14/3 or smaller.

Dan Banquer

« Reply #18 on: 14 Dec 2006, 01:29 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to do this test Donnie.
             d.b.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #19 on: 14 Dec 2006, 01:37 pm »

DonnieW also goes by the alias, The Mississauga Mythbuster! 8)

Cheers