Zu Omen mk2 (DW+)

who?me?

Re: Zu Omen mk2 (DW+)
« Reply #20 on: 17 Aug 2018, 10:29 pm »
Thanks for reviving the thread! I have been using my Omen Mk 2 with a Luxman vintage SS amp from the early 80s. It sounds AWESOME. I really am very happy with the combo. These are great speakers.

Cool, I remember your posts from 6 months ago.
 Glad you found something that works! Which Luxman model?

Now you just gotta get some tubes in there somewhere 💡 ....

plakey

« Reply #21 on: 17 Aug 2018, 11:24 pm »
Luxman LX-450.. Had it recapped.

I’m thinking about a tube dac in the mix next.  :D :D :)

Poultrygeist

« Reply #22 on: 31 Mar 2019, 12:15 pm »
I no longer have my Omens but my Volt+D ( TPA3118 ) which sounds excellent with FRSD would be a good match.

Hope to have the Volt 3255 when it's released.

charlieboy

« Reply #23 on: 12 Apr 2019, 07:42 pm »
I have them and run them with a PeachTree Audio integrated amp/DAC and they sound amazing! With the Clarity cap upgrade they are basically the much more expensive Omen MKII's at 2,300.00 .  The only difference in the two is the Zu-B3 input, an engraved nameplate, some metal bracing ,and the internal wiring (which the Omen MKII uses their Mission MKII wiring). I don't need the Zu-B3 input, my standard nameplate is just fine,I haven't heard a squeak or rattle from the cabinets, and the internal wiring that is used seems just fine. I dont think these things justify the additional 1,200.00. I could not be happier with the DW's performance especially at the price I purchased them for and I have owned some pricey speakers in the past.

« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2019, 06:53 pm by charlieboy »

charlieboy

« Reply #24 on: 12 Apr 2019, 08:12 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2019, 03:31 am by charlieboy »

mick wolfe

« Reply #25 on: 13 Apr 2019, 06:07 pm »
FWIW, I've found the resistor mod Zu offers significantly bumps up system performance. (at least for me) The mod lowers the DW's nominal 12 ohm impedance, but more importantly, smooths the impedance curve giving your amp a friendlier look. Best $40 I've spent in recent memory. I use 2-25ohm resistors per side. Wonderful results with both my Latino ST70 and LM 218ia.

charlieboy

« Reply #26 on: 13 Apr 2019, 06:55 pm »
That's good to hear Mick. I have those snubbers (25ohm and 10ohm) I believe sitting in the office. I'll give them a go hopefully soon.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2019, 08:47 pm by charlieboy »

charlieboy

« Reply #27 on: 5 May 2019, 02:54 am »
A few changes/upgrades as of late:
Plinius 8200 with Galbo Designs "Ultimate Mod" (currently serving as preamp), James Burgess custom monoblocks running in triode (2x6550, 1x12SN7, 1x5751), PeachTree Audio 65SE (serving as DAC), Modified AT1240 TT with AT33EV cartridge Cardas wiring straight to the Plinius phono stage, Otari MTR10-2 Reel to Reel, a PC music server running Fubar 2000 with over 10 terabytes of Hi-Rez files (DSD, DXD, Flac, and WAV), and a pair of Zu Audio Omen MKII loudspeakers. Room is 24x20x8
« Last Edit: 18 May 2019, 03:49 am by charlieboy »

Kalali

« Reply #28 on: 7 May 2019, 03:24 pm »
Pass XA25 or a First Watt J2 for lesser budget.

Sc53

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jun 2019, 06:01 pm »
Someone on the VPI owners forum referred me to this old thread when I mentioned I just received my new Zu Omen II DW speakers—and was playing them for a few hours with the hard plastic covers sealing the 10” drivers! I thought the muffled sound was just the speakers breaking in.  I am using a new-to-me Line Magnetic 519IA 845-based integrated with the Zu’s and the sound is amazing! I previously had ProAc D15 with PrimaLuna Dialogue One integrated in this system. Too early for me to pick a favorite, esp because the new flavor is always the best, but for the price these Zu’s and the used Line Magnetic are definitely a cheap and cheerful system for me! I got my Zu’s in electric blue and my Line Magnetic is orange so I am enjoying the new colors in my living room as well as the new sound!

AvsFan

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jul 2019, 04:19 pm »
I have no experience with Zu but have been using the Digital Amplifier Company Stereo Maraschino with my Charney Audio Maestro. Detail in spades, great tonal balance, imaging, sound stage, deep controlled bass, and exceptional mid-range. Well worth the try with a high eff speaker.

http://www.cherryamp.com/stereo-maraschino-stm

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=174

Well.... after reading through this thread again, I didn't even realize that I commented on it in Aug, 2018.  :D
And after almost a year since my last post and another set of Dirty Weekends, this time with the clarity cap upgrade and 6-7 amps later. Just yesterday did I come to realize the full potential of these ZU DW's!
Digital Amplifier Company Stereo Maraschino. It's REAL! And the synergy with the Dirty Weekends is SPECTACULAR. Like I have said, I have gone through many amps over the past almost two years, since owning the Dirty Weekends and the STM is a game ending amp for my two channel system. The ZU's will sound good with any amp. That's the benefit of owning these speakers. Low power to high power. And everything in between. And believe me, I have powered them with all. But I remember Sean telling me a long time ago, even though 2 watts from a SET amp will sound sublime through the ZU's, if you really want to hear their true potential, feed them quality and clean good power! And that couldn't be more true. With this STM, my ZU's jumped to life! Like they were supercharged or on steroids. And it's just not dynamics an sheer impact. The minute details and resolution I am getting with this amp is stunning me. I was listening yesterday to songs I thought I knew well, and was like what was that? Remix? New instrument in the song I have never heard before? There were some passages in music that actually startled me. The micro dynamics and resolution is VERY impressive. IMO, there is a synergy with the STM and ZU's that is amazing. Oh, and the bass control and punch is........, WOW! I always thought the DW's had good bass, this takes it up to a completely different level. Just to let you know, I am using his DAC DAC HS1 as well, so I am sure that is contributing to a lot of what I am hearing. too. But this STM i sspecial, not another Class D chip board put in a nice looking display case. The only thing I am talking to Tommy about right now is bumping it up to the King 60v version, I am using the 48v version right now, which seems to be plenty but hey, even more power and headroom is welcome.  :D

genjamon

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2019, 05:51 pm »
Thanks for the update! Interesting. Have you installed any of the resistor add-ons that Zu offers? I have found a pretty big difference with tube amp synergy with two of the 25ohm resistors on each speaker.  I have a feeling SS amps do a lot better with the impedance swings of the speaker than tube amps when those resistors are not in place to smooth the impedance curve.

If you’ve found this great synergy even after having tried the resistors, then that’s even more interesting to me!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 17 Jul 2019, 05:56 pm »
Congratulations on your new amp AvsFan. That little wonder will also light up your LRS like a match made in heaven!  :thumb:

I’ve had my Maraschinos for two years now and there simply isn’t another amp/amps at any price, tube or SS that interests me.  :D :D

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #33 on: 17 Jul 2019, 06:09 pm »
Well.... after reading through this thread again, I didn't even realize that I commented on it in Aug, 2018.  :D
And after almost a year since my last post and another set of Dirty Weekends, this time with the clarity cap upgrade and 6-7 amps later. Just yesterday did I come to realize the full potential of these ZU DW's!
Digital Amplifier Company Stereo Maraschino. It's REAL! And the synergy with the Dirty Weekends is SPECTACULAR. Like I have said, I have gone through many amps over the past almost two years, since owning the Dirty Weekends and the STM is a game ending amp for my two channel system. The ZU's will sound good with any amp. That's the benefit of owning these speakers. Low power to high power. And everything in between. And believe me, I have powered them with all. But I remember Sean telling me a long time ago, even though 2 watts from a SET amp will sound sublime through the ZU's, if you really want to hear their true potential, feed them quality and clean good power! And that couldn't be more true. With this STM, my ZU's jumped to life! Like they were supercharged or on steroids. And it's just not dynamics an sheer impact. The minute details and resolution I am getting with this amp is stunning me. I was listening yesterday to songs I thought I knew well, and was like what was that? Remix? New instrument in the song I have never heard before? There were some passages in music that actually startled me. The micro dynamics and resolution is VERY impressive. IMO, there is a synergy with the STM and ZU's that is amazing. Oh, and the bass control and punch is........, WOW! I always thought the DW's had good bass, this takes it up to a completely different level. Just to let you know, I am using his DAC DAC HS1 as well, so I am sure that is contributing to a lot of what I am hearing. too. But this STM i sspecial, not another Class D chip board put in a nice looking display case. The only thing I am talking to Tommy about right now is bumping it up to the King 60v version, I am using the 48v version right now, which seems to be plenty but hey, even more power and headroom is welcome.  :D
Thanks for the compliments!  We added a link to your post on our main review thread:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127654.0

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #34 on: 17 Jul 2019, 06:18 pm »
Thanks for the update! Interesting. Have you installed any of the resistor add-ons that Zu offers? I have found a pretty big difference with tube amp synergy with two of the 25ohm resistors on each speaker.  I have a feeling SS amps do a lot better with the impedance swings of the speaker than tube amps when those resistors are not in place to smooth the impedance curve.

If you’ve found this great synergy even after having tried the resistors, then that’s even more interesting to me!
Are they placed in parallel with the speakers?

arem1460

« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2020, 04:03 am »
Bumping an old thread because I’m new here. Anyone have recommendations for amplification to pair with the DW in the $1-1.5k range? I’m looking to upgrade from a 90’s Rotel receiver that I don’t have any particular issue with, I just know there has to be better out there. I’d like to be able to connect a sub as well. Thanks!

AvsFan

« Reply #36 on: 12 Jun 2020, 06:26 pm »
Bumping an old thread because I’m new here. Anyone have recommendations for amplification to pair with the DW in the $1-1.5k range? I’m looking to upgrade from a 90’s Rotel receiver that I don’t have any particular issue with, I just know there has to be better out there. I’d like to be able to connect a sub as well. Thanks!

I've owned DW's going on three years now, they are a mainstay in my home and never going anywhere, I LOVE my DW's! They have been hooked up to MANY different amps and the higher quality and more power I feed them, the better they sound. Don't let anyone tell you that powering them with low wattage flea amps is the way to go, because it's not. Sean over at ZU, even suggests putting real power to them. So if anyone wants to argue about it, call up the owner of ZU and argue with him.  :D
 I am actually bringing them back into my two channel office system this weekend to do some comparisons. I have Digital Amplifier Companies monoblock Golden Cherries in here and have not tried them out with the Dirty Weekends yet. The DW's sounded spectacular with the DAC STM I had them paired with, the Golden Cherries are in a completely different league than the STM. But for $1000-$1500, that STM will light up your DW's!

AvsFan

« Reply #37 on: 12 Jun 2020, 06:39 pm »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #38 on: 12 Jun 2020, 07:30 pm »
<photos>
Thanks for uploading the photos.  Nice looking setup!

To save space, most Cherry KING Desktop Maraschino owners place the amps on top of the power supplies, but they look cool next to the amps.

djpk

« Reply #39 on: 17 Jun 2020, 03:26 am »
I've owned DW's going on three years now, they are a mainstay in my home and never going anywhere, I LOVE my DW's! They have been hooked up to MANY different amps and the higher quality and more power I feed them, the better they sound. Don't let anyone tell you that powering them with low wattage flea amps is the way to go, because it's not. Sean over at ZU, even suggests putting real power to them. So if anyone wants to argue about it, call up the owner of ZU and argue with him.  :D
 I am actually bringing them back into my two channel office system this weekend to do some comparisons. I have Digital Amplifier Companies monoblock Golden Cherries in here and have not tried them out with the Dirty Weekends yet. The DW's sounded spectacular with the DAC STM I had them paired with, the Golden Cherries are in a completely different league than the STM. But for $1000-$1500, that STM will light up your DW's!
I purchased the Omen DWs and nearly returned them when I paired them with a 300 watt per channel amp. They sounded thin and without the body I expected. Then I purchased a Burson Audio Bang V6 Classic amp and at only 29 watts per channel into 8 ohms the Omens sound fantastic. They just need the right synergy I suppose.