Line arrays of full range drivers?

Danny Richie

Line arrays of full range drivers?
« on: 6 Aug 2019, 11:14 pm »
I've been asked that a bunch of times. Does that really work?

Check out this Tuesdays Tech Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vUlN72-T9I&list=PLUFNGRKZZWXzCt2Syx4yjR4Oy7V-uiePB&index=8&t=327s

Captainhemo

Re: Line arrays of full range drivers?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2019, 11:37 pm »
Nice editing  with the  drop in pics  Ron    LOL
Another     great  episode  danny
jay

revg1952

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2019, 11:50 pm »
Danny
another great video
Gary

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2019, 12:29 am »
Yes, informative as always.

How about explaining what it takes to make multiple drivers work. You’ve touched on it in multiple videos but it has not been the major focus and judging from the comments on YouTube, a number of people don’t get it. They didn’t pay attention to the frequency dependent part and started bashing any design with multiple drivers. I would bet if somebody saw a picture of the Wedgies thry’d say something like “but you just said you can’t  use multiple full range drivers...”

Another point would be how line arrays work and why comb filtering doesn’t pose the same problem in a properly designed line array.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2019, 02:48 am »
Yes, informative as always.

How about explaining what it takes to make multiple drivers work. You’ve touched on it in multiple videos but it has not been the major focus and judging from the comments on YouTube, a number of people don’t get it. They didn’t pay attention to the frequency dependent part and started bashing any design with multiple drivers. I would bet if somebody saw a picture of the Wedgies thry’d say something like “but you just said you can’t  use multiple full range drivers...”

Another point would be how line arrays work and why comb filtering doesn’t pose the same problem in a properly designed line array.

There are 52 Tuesdays in a year. Hopefully I can get to all that stuff.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2019, 03:21 am »
Nice topic. In my city there is a famous mastering tech that have a big studio and do remastering
jobs in old historic recordings. He have great books as the Telefunken tube circuits brown book and a Bessel book that show two serial line arrays with 5 and 7 FR drivers in which the central driver is out of phase.
I suppose the center out of phase driver are to fix comb filtering but not sure :scratch:

gab

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2019, 12:48 pm »
Nice topic. In my city there is a famous mastering tech that have a big studio and do remastering
jobs in old historic recordings. He have great books as the Telefunken tube circuits brown book and a Bessel book that show two serial line arrays with 5 and 7 FR drivers in which the central driver is out of phase.
I suppose the center out of phase driver are to fix comb filtering but not sure :scratch:

FRM - I think you must be referring to a Bessel Array

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=6012

WC

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2019, 12:58 pm »
Another interesting video. Keep them coming.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2019, 02:00 am »
Thanks Gab for the link, the 5 drivers LA seems useful to home audio.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2019, 02:10 am »
If the distances in the paper abstract for the Bessel array suggested are even for a 5x4" driver array, the 20x listening distance suggested would be 33'. 

Does not seem very useful for a home application.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2019, 02:18 am »
Oh well too bad.