Would buying the DVA M22’s be $ well spent considering my current set up?

willjk

Current system 2.1:

- NAD C 388 hybrid digital integrated amplifier with HDMI2 and Bluos modules
- Arendal 1961 towers and 1V sub
- Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable with Ortofon 2M Blue stylus
- Blue Jeans cabling
- Sonny A80L QLED 77” tv

This is my main system in my living room that I use for music and movies.

I’ve been wanting to move past my current NAD integrated amp (which has been great) to separates while keeping the budget below $4K. Also the Arendal 1961 towers prefer twice the watts of the NAD to really perform.

I’ve narrowed down the first upgrade down to the DVA M22 monoblocks (including the Van Alstine RCA to XLR converter $279) based solely on reviews.  I have not heard them live.

I’ll have to sacrifice the NAD’s role as an amp and use it as a pre-amp only until I have the budget (next year or 2) for a good pre-amp and DAC.

Those that have reviewed or say they love these amps for the most part use/have higher end components (speakers/pre-amps, etc) compared to my “budget” system.  My concern is if I do this upgrade it won’t be money well spent in terms of improved listening experience. 

Has anyone made a similar leap and did the upgrade meet your expectations?

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
It's DVA M225, in case you might want to edit your post for clarity.

RonN5

Willjk

I think you should also make some comments about what you are finding lacking in the NAD and what you are expecting from the 225s.  Just as an example....(if you are finding the NAD too or dry/clinical...then maybe the DVA SET 500 is going to be a better option)

And in addition... maybe sell the NAD...you would probably only get about $600 or so and put the money toward one of Frank's preamps.....as this plus the 225s/Set500 plus the XLR convertor plus the preamp would still be in your budget after the sale???

JCarney

Hi willjk, welcome. Tell us more about and show us your speakers. Sensitivity, 4 or 8ohm, driver compliment is what will help. Letting us know they are power hungry sorta points us in the right direction. I am not at all familiar with the Arendal name, so the more info provided the better. Is your room treated and anything else you think might help in the advice sought from the many knowledgeable people on this site.

JCarney

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Here are the specs:
TWEETER
28mm

FREQUENCY RESPONSE
Sealed 49Hz-20KHz (+/-3dB)
Vented 39Hz-20KHz (+/-3dB)
WOOFER
4 x 5,5”

IMPEDANCE
4-ohm nominal

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY
120Hz / 1500Hz

SENSITIVITY
87dB / 2.83v / 1m

https://arendalsound.com/product/1961-tower/

newzooreview

Full Klippel measurements are here: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/arendal_1961_tower/

They can easily make use of more power, and in a larger room they would benefit from the power, especially with movies.

How large is the room?

willjk

The living space room is 17’ x 15’ but is part of an open floor plan of 17’ x 22’

TomBo

The best judge is your ears. My first foray into Van Alstine, I jumped from a NAD integrated amp to a fet valve amp and preamp...that I heard with my own ears at Frank's place when I picked them up. (I purposely booked a stopover flight in Minneapolis on my way home from New York).it was an astonishing improvement!.. second jump more recently into the SET 120 Control Amp/Vision Q+ phono preamp was just as ear opening as the first time. The best validation you have made a good decision is to hear it yourself. In both my cases it was well worth it. Zero regrets. You will know it when you hear it.
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2024, 09:31 pm by TomBo »

WGH

... I use for music and movies.

... the Arendal 1961 towers prefer twice the watts of the NAD to really perform.

The NAD has 150 watts per channel which should be enough for the 87dB Arendal speakers and you have a sub so loudness should not be a problem unless your listening room is huge. What you don't like is the Class D sound, I generally find Class D lacking too.

Preamps that include a phono preamp, HDMI and a DAC are rare. The Bryston BR-20 preamp has an excellent DAC, HDMI inputs and single ended inputs so a phono preamp can be plugged in.

And the Bryston blows the budget so I need to re-think this...

The AVA DVA SET 500 would add just a hint of warmth and bottom end which your speakers would appreciate and leave more room in the budget for future upgrades. Unless you are thinking of getting the DVA Digital Preamp/DAC. The DVA225 amps would be a perfect match but the DVA A2D analog-to-digital converter would be needed for the phono preamp. And then there is the question of HDMI input.

Keeping the budget below $4000 leaves only $1200 for a preamp, DAC and phono amp after buying the SET 500. You might be able to achieve a step up in quality buying used.

The Vision RB preamp with Vision phono, a SET 500, an affordable DAC and a 4K HDMI to Audio extractor would be a huge improvement.

toocool4

Before you rush out and start spending money, you should try and get out there to dealers and listen to more things to give you better ideas on where your problem is, if indeed you have problems.
One thing I can say is that is a lot of speaker for very little money, personally I have not come across any floor standing speakers that perform at around that kind of money the Arendal 1961 cost. That kind of money will get you a stand mount that will give you better sound quality for your money. What I see here is quantity over quality.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt as I have never heard the Arendal 1961, but in general you get what you pay for.

Rusty Jefferson

Since you'll be losing your digital front end if going this route, I'd suggest the AVA digital preamp/dac and running the M225s balanced, not single ended. The preamp/dac sounds much better balanced. This would be a stunning upgrade for reasonable cost. Then use their A/D converter for your turntable and you're done.

willjk

Before you rush out and start spending money, you should try and get out there to dealers and listen to more things to give you better ideas on where your problem is, if indeed you have problems.
One thing I can say is that is a lot of speaker for very little money, personally I have not come across any floor standing speakers that perform at around that kind of money the Arendal 1961 cost. That kind of money will get you a stand mount that will give you better sound quality for your money. What I see here is quantity over quality.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt as I have never heard the Arendal 1961, but in general you get what you pay for.

Arendal uses the same direct to consumer model as AVA so don't let the price tag fool you.  I think they are a great value for the $ and as all the legit reviews will say, preform great too.

toocool4

Okay I see willjk, I stand corrected. I would still say listen to more kit before you start spending more money, find out if you have issues first.

mr_bill

I have an AVA A/D converter and it is a great piece!

I.Greyhound Fan

I did one of the initial reviews on the prototype DVA 225 monoblocks.  They are great amps, full bodied sound, dynamic, hits hard with bass with a hint of warmth.  They are well worth the money.  You could do a lot worse.  All AVA gear punches way about their price point. If you can't afford the FET Valve preamp, consider the T-10 RB or the Vision SLR preamps from AVA.  Or go the used route. Another preamp to consider is the Schiit Freya Plus.  It is a tube preamp and balanced, so no need for a converter.  Made in the USA just like AVA and good customer service and return policy although not as generous as AVA which has the best customer service in the business.  A lot of people really like the Freya Plus.  It performs way above its price point as well.  Any of these preamps can be easily flipped or returned if you don't like them.

If the mono's are not in the budget, consider the DVA 500.  I heard the DVA 750 and it is awesome sounding and I suspect the DVA 500 to sound about the same.

By the way, you have nice gear.  The Arendal speakers peaked my interest last year as I am possibly looking to move on from my Magnepan 1.6's.  The Arendals have good reviews but I need to hear them before buying which is next to impossible.
That ProJect TT is awesome for a starter.  I am not a fan of the Ortofon Blue cartridge.  I find it too bright but that is just me as a I prefer a warmer full bodied sound.  I am a fan of Nagaoka and Hana cartridges for their great sound at reasonable prices.  Also, BJ cables are a great starter cable, but I would consider upgrading to Belden 8402 interconnects or XLR's.  I use them and they sound better than some $400 cables I own and way better sounding than my BJC IC's and XLR's.  As always, YMMV as audio gear is so subjective.

https://btpa.com/IC8402XLR-XX.html

They are more musical, warmer and smoother sounding than the BJC's.

Happy Hunting.

willjk

Everyone thanks for your recommendations, advice and time! Much appreciated!  The journey is half the fun!

JackD

Larry

If you are still looking to replace your Maggies you might want to run by HiFi Sound in Minneapolis and look at the Verity Otello they have in the showroom along with the Alta Audio Alec.

I.Greyhound Fan

Larry

If you are still looking to replace your Maggies you might want to run by HiFi Sound in Minneapolis and look at the Verity Otello they have in the showroom along with the Alta Audio Alec.

Thanks, I will do that.   I was there about 1.5 months ago with a friend who was looking at streamers and tube amps.  I did not have time to listen to speakers.  They also carry the Wharfedale Elysian's that I want to hear.

JackD

I love my Otello's and the Alta's get great reviews.  Both of the would definitely have more WAF than Maggies.  If his picture is accurate the Otello's are in a rarely seen upgraded Zebrano finish.