"New" Kinks

orthobiz

"New" Kinks
« on: 29 Jun 2004, 10:00 pm »
Village Green Preservation Society released again, redone, mono and outtakes, 3 CD's long! Import released June 28.

If you do not have this 1968 classic, do yourself a favor and rush out to buy it. It is truly one of the great albums of the era and comes from a great band when they were in their absolute prime.

Will comment further when mine arrives. I don't think they have one disc in the original order with two bonus CD's, so I'll have to see how I adjust. I'm a creature of aural habit.

I think the period from Something Else through Everybody's In Showbiz was a phenomenal run of creativity.

Check out http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-06/18.shtml#story2 for more.

Any Kinks fans out there?

Biz

bob82274

"New" Kinks
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2004, 10:41 pm »
Well I'm not the world's most masculine man
But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
And so is lola

I also enjoy 'Sunny Afternoon'.  I have been meaning to get some of their albums so that I can hear more of their work.

Rocket

Kinks cd
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2004, 04:17 am »
Hi,

Thankx for the information regarding the kinks.

Although i don't have many of their albums i did manage to see them in 1982 and in 1996 i went and saw Ray Davies do a small show here in perth.

I still think 'You Really Got Me' is one of the all time classic rock songs.

regards

rocket

Kim S.

"New" Kinks
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2004, 06:03 pm »
I'm a huge Kinks fan.  I have over 30 cd's by the Kinks and solo work by Ray and Dave Davies.  I already have the Village Green Preservation Society CD.  An earlier issue.  I agree its a great album.

orthobiz

"New" Kinks
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2004, 12:25 am »
OK, here's the final answer:

Go out now and buy the new Village Green Preservation Society CD, British import. Three CD's, one in stereo with extra tracks, one in mono with extra tracks, and one with just...extra tracks. Sterling production, excellent packaging, totally cool. No filler!

This album was somewhat neglected when it first came out. The (excellent) liner notes talk about Beggars Banquet, Electric Ladyland and the White Album overshadowing this one. But as great as those albums are, this is one you cannot afford to overlook.

Village Green is not just an album, but a state of mind. It's all the comforts of home, family, your hometown. It is just about totally positive (although Wicked Wanda is somewhat naughty) images, people you know from childhood, etc.

In this election year with its mudslinging, namecalling and negativity, this album is guaranteed to bring up your spirits. To those who say, "Kinks, oh yeah, 'You Really Got Me' was great..." I say go ahead and take a chance. You won't be disappointed.

biz

Gordy

"New" Kinks
« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2004, 01:38 am »
Also due out this week (Aug. 24) on SACD hybrid are...  Give The People What They Want, Misfits, Muswell Hillbillies, One For The Road and Schoolboys in Disgrace.  All on Koch Records :D

orthobiz

"New" Kinks
« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2004, 02:35 am »
Muswell Hillbillies gets my first vote.

biz

Thump553

"New" Kinks
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2004, 07:49 pm »
Sleepwalker always struck a chord for me-great album to crank up.  Kink Kronikles was the best compilation I ever bought, ever.  Not sure if that came out on CD but I'd highly reccommend it if it is.

orthobiz

"New" Kinks
« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2004, 01:00 am »
Kink Kronicles is (are?) out on CD.
Many of the songs are on Village Green.

biz

Kim S.

"New" Kinks
« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2004, 11:34 am »
There is a hybrid sacd/cd put out by Mobile Fidelity that is worth noting.  Everyone is in Showbiz.  This was originally recorded when the Kinks were probably at their nadir of popularity.  It contains "Celluloid Heroes", one of the poignant pop songs ever recorded.  Most of the other songs on the first half refer to food in some way or another which I thought amusing.  The last half of the disc is live.  Mostly songs from Muswell Hillbillies, which is also one of my favorites.  The sound quality is excellent for both the cd and sacd layers.

orthobiz

"New" Kinks
« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2004, 02:04 pm »
Celluloid Heroes is perhaps the finest moment of the Kinks. I never tire of that song, it came on the heels of Lola and the failure of RCA to make it a monster hit worldwide is one of the biggest crimes against pop music (of course, nothing to compare to Badfinger, but you get the idea).

Sitting in My Hotel kinda reprises Celluloid Heroes, like You Wear It Well and Maggie May.

but I digress...

biz

Kim S.

"New" Kinks
« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2004, 10:57 am »
The best Kink song would be hard to pick.  On the serious side I'm thinking about "See My Friends".  Don't remember what album its on but its from the Waterloo Sunset period. A tasteful sad song dealing with death of someone close.  On the fun side, there are just too many good songs to mention.

orthobiz

"New" Kinks
« Reply #12 on: 5 Sep 2004, 01:09 pm »
alllmusic.com:

See My Friends: from "Kinkdom"

And lots of compilations because it was a single

biz

Gordy

"New" Kinks
« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2004, 01:40 pm »
Quote from: orthobiz
alllmusic.com:

See My Friends: from "Kinkdom"

And lots of compilations because it was a single

biz

Yup, yup, it's also included in 'The Kinks E.P. Collection, Vol 1.', a very nice box set from Castle Records.  10 - 4 song ep's in original picture sleeves, album style.  Both vols. are housed in archival type ragmat(?) flip top boxes, tres 8).    Vol. 2 includes some Swedish, French and Spanish release only versions of Dandy, Death of a Clown, Dead End Street etc.

Kim S.

"New" Kinks
« Reply #14 on: 6 Sep 2004, 10:43 am »
My copy of "See My Friends" is from a complilation I could not find when I made the earlier entry.  I also have a live version from a live double CD called  "To the Bone".

orthobiz

"New" Kinks
« Reply #15 on: 6 Sep 2004, 12:35 pm »
To The Bone:

Just love the version of Do Your Remember Walter with the cheezy cabaret accordion!

biz