BRYStON BDA-1

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYStON BDA-1
« Reply #20 on: 14 Sep 2008, 11:47 pm »
Mr. Tanner, how quickly might we find out if the software volume control is a go or no-go decision?

We are running tests now on what happens as you lower the volume digitally - so far there is always a loss of resolution (you use up bits).  So we are going to see what reduction in volume is heard (not heard) in blind listening tests.

james

b5pt9

« Reply #21 on: 14 Sep 2008, 11:52 pm »
Would this be a software upgrade to existing BDA-1 or a new model?

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #22 on: 15 Sep 2008, 12:21 am »
[ We are running tests now on what happens as you lower the volume digitally - so far there is always a loss of resolution (you use up bits).  So we are going to see what reduction in volume is heard (not heard) in blind listening tests.

james

It is my understanding, and I am by no means completely clear on this, that as the BDA-1 increases the bit depth on 16 bit material to 24 bit, that this allows volume control with the 8 extra bits with no reduction in resolution. Of course after that, the reduction in volume will result in loss of resolution. The critical thing though is, that if the gain staging is correct, by the time the volume has been reduced utilising the 8 extra bits, the volume is low enough so that the loss of resolution is not readily apparent. I will be anxiously awaiting the findings of your engineers.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2008, 12:34 am »
[ We are running tests now on what happens as you lower the volume digitally - so far there is always a loss of resolution (you use up bits).  So we are going to see what reduction in volume is heard (not heard) in blind listening tests.

james

It is my understanding, and I am by no means completely clear on this, that as the BDA-1 increases the bit depth on 16 bit material to 24 bit, that this allows volume control with the 8 extra bits with no reduction in resolution. Of course after that, the reduction in volume will result in loss of resolution. The critical thing though is, that if the gain staging is correct, by the time the volume has been reduced utilising the 8 extra bits, the volume is low enough so that the loss of resolution is not readily apparent. I will be anxiously awaiting the findings of your engineers.

Hi Konut,

Yes I undestand it the same way so we are going to run some listening tests.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep 2008, 12:35 am »
Would this be a software upgrade to existing BDA-1 or a new model?

Hi,

Software upgrade if done in the digital mode.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 16 Sep 2008, 10:46 am »
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 7:10 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: BDA-1

Well now you have gone and done it.  I thought the rest of my system was pretty decent until I got the BDA-1 and now I can’t listen to my other stuff anymore.   

The BDA-1 is neutral, spacious, very good deep bass while still having tight and controlled bass, good soundstage, and very clean overall.  I still hear a bit of grain at the very top, but I think that is from other components in my system at this point. It allows me to hear the differences in digital output from various components more than I have heard before.  Its truthful without being overbearing but demands that you feed it a clear signal to get the best. 

Thanks,
Bill

b5pt9

« Reply #26 on: 16 Sep 2008, 04:08 pm »
I find the consistency of user feedback on the BDA-1 interesting.  Bass, space and soundstage again and again.

mcullinan

« Reply #27 on: 16 Sep 2008, 04:26 pm »
I would add exceptional inner detail in the highs which were covered up previously.
Mike

b5pt9

« Reply #28 on: 16 Sep 2008, 05:29 pm »
I would add exceptional inner detail in the highs which were covered up previously.
Mike

Agreed.  Things like "hmm I never noticed that 2nd violin in the background before" or "ah that's what she whispers right at the beginning".  Pretty cool little machine 8).

mdconnelly

« Reply #29 on: 16 Sep 2008, 06:40 pm »
Perhaps this has been asked and answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

How does the BDA-1 stack up against the Bryston DAC card for the BP26 or the DAC in the BCD-1?    Is it different technology or a very nice repackaging of the same DAC?    If different (which I suspect it must be), how are the differences manifested - sonically?, functionally?

Any info is greatly appreciated. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 16 Sep 2008, 06:54 pm »
Perhaps this has been asked and answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

How does the BDA-1 stack up against the Bryston DAC card for the BP26 or the DAC in the BCD-1?    Is it different technology or a very nice repackaging of the same DAC?    If different (which I suspect it must be), how are the differences manifested - sonically?, functionally?

Any info is greatly appreciated. 

Hi,

The DAC's in all the preamps and the CD Player as well as the BDA-1 external DAC are the same manufacture - Crystal. The BP26/BP6/B60/B100 use the Crystal 43122 DAC.  The BCD-1 CD Player and the External BDA-1 DAC use the Crystal 4398 DAC. 

As I have said before the quality of many of the different available DAC's we tested are excellent.  The main difference in our digital products has much more to do with the discrete analog Class A circuits around the DAC's and the critical attention to power supply and grounding integrity throughout the circuitry.

james

mdconnelly

« Reply #31 on: 16 Sep 2008, 07:28 pm »
James, thanks for the quick response.   So, would you expect a BCD-1 coupled with a BDA-1 to sound better/different than just a BCD-1 due to the details you've invested in all facets of the BDA-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 16 Sep 2008, 07:55 pm »
James, thanks for the quick response.   So, would you expect a BCD-1 coupled with a BDA-1 to sound better/different than just a BCD-1 due to the details you've invested in all facets of the BDA-1?

Hi,

Good question!

I have been running BLIND tests over the past month with different experienced listeners in my home (I have 3 systems with exactly the same front end (BP26/BCD-1/BDA-1) and so far it has been a tough call. No one has been able to consistently tell which is which.

It will be interesting to get some input back from the field as more people use the CD Player with the External DAC combination.  Absolute Sound Magazine is doing a comparison of different external DAC's on the market and they are using the Bryston CD Player as the reference against the other DAC's.  I have sent them a BDA-1 as part of that test set up.

At this point I guess my advice would be to go with the CD Player if you perceive your most critical listening will be with red-book CD's and go with the BDA-1 External DAC if you think your future listening will involve a number of Hi-Res Digital sources.

james
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2008, 09:44 pm by James Tanner »

NewBuyer

« Reply #33 on: 16 Sep 2008, 10:50 pm »
Mr. Tanner, how quickly might we find out if the software volume control is a go or no-go decision?

We are running tests now on what happens as you lower the volume digitally - so far there is always a loss of resolution (you use up bits).  So we are going to see what reduction in volume is heard (not heard) in blind listening tests.

james

Hi James,

What are your thoughts on using a high-quality analog volume control, instead of a digital one?  That would be my preference, but would require additional hardware instead of just a software upgrade.  Perhaps offer a second model ("BDA-1V")?  :?:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 16 Sep 2008, 11:08 pm »

james

Hi James,

What are your thoughts on using a high-quality analog volume control, instead of a digital one?  That would be my preference, but would require additional hardware instead of just a software upgrade.  Perhaps offer a second model ("BDA-1V")?  :?:

Yes I am thinking a Digital Stereo Preamp may be a product to consider in the future using the volume control we developed for the B100 and SP3.

james

brucek

« Reply #35 on: 17 Sep 2008, 11:37 am »
The main difference in our digital products has much more to do with the discrete analog Class A circuits around the DAC's and the critical attention to power supply and grounding integrity throughout the circuitry.
All of which the SP2 and SP1.7 possess. Yet, we have users of the BDA-1 who rave how much better it sounds than the processors internal DAC when used as a DAC and processor in bypass combination. Curious, since when used as a DAC with the processor in bypass combination, extra electronics is added.

How could it possibly sound better?

brucek

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 17 Sep 2008, 11:47 am »
The main difference in our digital products has much more to do with the discrete analog Class A circuits around the DAC's and the critical attention to power supply and grounding integrity throughout the circuitry.
All of which the SP2 and SP1.7 possess. Yet, we have users of the BDA-1 who rave how much better it sounds than the processors internal DAC when used as a DAC and processor in bypass combination. Curious, since when used as a DAC with the processor in bypass combination, extra electronics is added.

How could it possibly sound better?

brucek

Hi Brucek,

The DAC's in the SP1.7 and SP2 processor(s) are part of a main digital circuit board that is optimized for Surround multi channel formats.

james
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2008, 02:07 pm by James Tanner »

brucek

« Reply #37 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:23 pm »
optimized for Surround multi channel formats
I can't really imagine the DAC itself is that much different, so does optimized for multi channel formats indicate that resolution, noise floor and or distortion is increased as the signal passes through the DSP on the way to the DAC, or perhaps the volume controllers after the DAC in an SP2?

brucek

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:36 pm »
optimized for Surround multi channel formats
I can't really imagine the DAC itself is that much different, so does optimized for multi channel formats indicate that resolution, noise floor and or distortion is increased as the signal passes through the DSP on the way to the DAC, or perhaps the volume controllers after the DAC in an SP2?

brucek

Hi Brucek,

Yes the complexity of the circuit and the signal/grounding paths involved with the surround circuit boards are different and much more intricate than the CD Player or the BDA-1.  Also the digital Stereo signal is a downmix from the surround signal.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #39 on: 17 Sep 2008, 06:36 pm »

very interesting.
i just can't await the bda-1 to make comparisons with the sp2 and the bps 26 aa. since i know that the 26 sounds better than the sp2 (bypass) to my ears it's kind of exciting what differences there are between the sp2's internal dac and the bda-1.

al.