My New System - Modwright, Channel Islands, Reality Cables - Step by Step

pugs

I think you're right about break in.  The Modwright has improved a lot since I first got it.  I probably have about 50 hours on it now.
It won't come into its own until 300 hours. 500 if it has Blackgate caps. Just keep it on 24/7.

I opted for the Bybees in the AC line, but did not upgrade to Blackgates.  I bought my unit from Dan as a demo model but it didn't have many hours on it.  It is the newest version with new relays and I beleive some tweaking of the grounding scheme, whatever that means.

Gordy

The name of the phenomenon escapes me, but if you're leaving preamp tubes on 24/7 you need to feed them an input signal!  Personally, the chances of lightning storms, voltage spikes etc. hitting while tube equipment is unattended is just too high to justify leaving them on. 

Gordy

I presume it would only pertain to input tubes, but I'll try to find the thread.  It was at least 8-10 months ago and on another site. I think I can contact the designer/author... sorry, but I'm off to work for now.

pugs

I received the D-200's about 5 days ago and have had some time to listen to them.  I ordered three to power the front three channels of my HT, but one was DOA.  It is currently being shipped back to Dusty for him to check out.  When I first fired them up in the 2 channel system, they were very impressive.  Notes were jumping out like I have never heard before.  The sound was very clean and punchy.  I was playing them at pretty low volume since it was about 1:00 AM.  It wasn't until yesterday that I had a chance to play them loud.  One problem - they didn't get very loud.

I had concerns with the gain of the Modwright when using my B&K.  With the D-200's it seems that they don't go as loud as the B&K.  With the volume of my Modwright all the way up at 11, I am only getting max SPL's of approximately 90db.  I never measured the SPL's while using the B&K, but I think it was louder.  The B&K distorted before turning the Modwright up to 11 so I never really tested it.  I need to find out if the Modwright or the D-200's are the problem.  I don't think I should need the higher gain version of the D-200's. 

When listening to the D-200's at normal listening volume (~80-85db) they sound clean and punchy like I stated above, but now there is a little harshness like I was experiencing before with the Tempest and Mono Extremes.  I am not getting the bass and fullness that I want.  I have tried both Volex and Groneberg power cords, and so far I like the Gronebergs.  They are a little more warm and smooth.  The Volex cords only have about 15 hours on them so maybe that's part of the problem.

I am a concerned that the D-200's are not for me.  I am trying to be calm and patient, but after sinking all of that money into my system, I expect more.  Also, I'm also not sure if the Salk's are really for me.  I think they are just too revealing, and just a bit thin and bright for me.  I should also state that I have been using the Salks with the contour switch on.  With the swith on, the balance shifts a little lower and allows me to get a little more bass and warmth. With the switch off, the highs are too prevelent and become distracting.   The Salks sounded best with the B&K/Modwright combo.

I am just going to leave my sytem running 24/7 for a while.  I'll see how everything sounds when I get my Reality Cables, but if things don't improve much, I might have to eat the restocking fee and return the D-200's.  If I do return them, I think I'm just going to try a multi channel B&K Reference amplifier since I seem to like smooth warmth more than detail and clarity.  The Modwright is not going anywhere.  I love it.

I just don't get it.  I have equipment that should produce incredible sound, but it's just alright.  It's times like this that I just want to sell everything off (except the Modwright), buy less expensive average Joe name brands and stop spending so much money.  I love music.  It has always been a big part of my life, but trying to find that perfect sound does not seem atainable without spending a rediculous amount of money - which I already have. 

To be continued...

pugs

Too bad you didn't have the opportunity to try the Modwright with the Odyssey Monos, with everything else the same. I'd think this would have been a killer combo, yet many people love the Modwright/D200 combo, too.

Was the SWL9.0SE purchased used or new?

Hang in there and see what Dusty has to say. If the D200s have a problem, he'll make it right.

I purchased the Modwright from Dan as a demo unit.  He spent a lot of time on it prior to shipping making sure it was perfect.

I think the Mono Extremes would have been very nice with the Modwright.  It's probably a good thing I didn't hear the combo, because there was no way I could keep them due to their size.  My room looked like crap when I had them.

pugs

Just got of the phone with Dusty.  Like Tvad4, he recommended I try a different source.  I hooked up a cheap panasonic 5 disc changer, and what do you know, I have volume.  12:00 on the Modwright is now pretty loud.  Now I need to find out what is wrong with my Squeezebox.  I have the new analog mods which is supposed to preserve the 2.1Vrms output.  Any ideas?

pugs

Please disregard everything I have said about the D-200's so far. :oops:.  I have been using Slimserver firmware 15 for my Squeezebox.  I switched to firmware 48 and volume levels are normal again.  I am able to blow my eardrums out now!  I switched the firmware back to version 15, and I still have high volume levels.

I think what happened is that I used the preamp attenuation feature on Slimserver when I was running the Squeezebox straight to my my B&K while I was waiting to receive the Modwright.  I turned it off when I received the Modwright, but I don't think it took affect for some reason.  Now the music is loud when the volume on the Modwright is around 12:00.

Now I seem to have more bass and fullness.  I am not ready to evaluate the D-200's yet, but things sound better.

hertz

Connect one decent cd player like the rega planet or jupiter to your pre-amp with a good interconnect and see how it sounds. Squeezebox ! jeez !

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Connect one decent cd player like the rega planet or jupiter to your pre-amp with a good interconnect and see how it sounds. Squeezebox ! jeez !

The Planet or Jupiter is not anywhere close to the quality of a modified squeezebox!

I would put my Bolder Cable modified SB2 + Bolder Cable Ultimate PS against almost ANY digital front end out there based on my experience and some direct comparisons.

George

cody_the_cat

I thought I would throw in my two cents.  I have used the SWL9.0se with two class D amps; PS Audio HCA-2 and Bel Canto eVo2 gen II with really impressive results.  Source is Jolida JD100A with Amperex Bugle Boy tubes and PBN Audio Montana SP III speakers and Nordost Blue Heavens all around.  I prefer the Bel Canto eVo2 amp to the HCA-2 because the transients are more defined and sound more organic, yet detailed.  As always in this hobby I wonder what another amp, such as the D-200 would sound like.  For now though, I am quite happy with the system and more than pleased with the swl9.0se and Dan's second to none customer service/support.   

carusoracer

The Planet or Jupiter is not anywhere close to the quality of a modified squeezebox!

I would put my Bolder Cable modified SB2 + Bolder Cable Ultimate PS against almost ANY digital front end out there based on my experience and some direct comparisons.

George

No intention to HiJack Thread. Can you explain and or give me the specifics on how this whole setup works. I have considered for sometime but can not profess to be computer savy... :dunno:  Can also PM Thanks

DSK

Please disregard everything I have said about the D-200's so far. :oops:.  I have been using Slimserver firmware 15 for my Squeezebox.  I switched to firmware 48 and volume levels are normal again.  I am able to blow my eardrums out now!  I switched the firmware back to version 15, and I still have high volume levels.

I think what happened is that I used the preamp attenuation feature on Slimserver when I was running the Squeezebox straight to my my B&K while I was waiting to receive the Modwright.  I turned it off when I received the Modwright, but I don't think it took affect for some reason.  Now the music is loud when the volume on the Modwright is around 12:00.

Now I seem to have more bass and fullness.  I am not ready to evaluate the D-200's yet, but things sound better.
Pugs, that's interesting. I read previously that although the pre-amp attenuation setting was available in firmware 15, it didn't actually work until later firmware versions. You seem to have it working in 15?

BTW, Zybar is right ... it takes a very high-end digital source to match a well modified SqueezeBox and PS.