Footer/Spike Thread Question

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Footer/Spike Thread Question
« on: 14 Sep 2018, 09:25 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone knows what the thread size is for the plinths on Song3's? I'm considering trying a set of IsoAcoustics Gaia footers for my speakers.

My house is about 60 years old and the wood floors are very springy and squeaky. I feel like I'm losing a lot of bass energy into the floor. When I'm downstairs, in the room under my speakers, I can hear a lot of vibration and bass from the speakers above. I might try some granite slabs under the speakers but I'm dealing with a considerable WAF so not sure those will fly. I figure the footers won't be noticeable and I've heard good things. Anyone have any experience with the Gaia's or something similar?

Paret

• Keller, TX
Re: Footer/Spike Thread Question
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2018, 03:19 am »
Get them.

I have them.

They work.

Ask Hydro

:thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2018, 12:00 pm »
They are 1/4-20 inserts.

- Jim

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2018, 07:39 pm »
Get them.

I have them.

They work.

Ask Hydro

:thumb:

Thanks! What did they do for you? What speakers are you using them with?

Hydro

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2018, 04:07 pm »
I have them on two sets of SS-10's. One in my studio that is on pier and beam wood floors and another in my "game room" with concrete floors. The Gaia's helped both systems a lot. I expected the biggest change in the bass and it did tighten up the bass in both rooms. The bass in the studio is not as muddy and every note is articulated, still not as solid as in the game room. The greatest change however, was in the mids and imaging. I am an imaging freak and both systems reacted the same. Much more 3D in every way, bass, mids and highs. It isn't just that the bass got out of the way, it is like a different set of speakers.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2018, 05:27 pm »
I have them on two sets of SS-10's. One in my studio that is on pier and beam wood floors and another in my "game room" with concrete floors. The Gaia's helped both systems a lot. I expected the biggest change in the bass and it did tighten up the bass in both rooms. The bass in the studio is not as muddy and every note is articulated, still not as solid as in the game room. The greatest change however, was in the mids and imaging. I am an imaging freak and both systems reacted the same. Much more 3D in every way, bass, mids and highs. It isn't just that the bass got out of the way, it is like a different set of speakers.

Thanks. I think I will try a set. I'm going to try the Gaia 3's since they're rated up to 70lbs and the Song3's are right about 70 pounds.

Hydro

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2018, 05:35 pm »
Hope they work as well for you. Let us know what you think when you try them.

Paret

• Keller, TX
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2018, 06:34 pm »
Hope they work as well for you. Let us know what you think when you try them.

What Hydro said.

I have mine on my Song 3A’s

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2018, 08:00 pm »
What Hydro said.

I have mine on my Song 3A’s

Are you using Gaia 2 or 3?

GlennDog

« Reply #9 on: 2 Nov 2018, 05:43 pm »
Jim,

Can you comment on the thread pitch used on the HT2-TL’s?

Looks like it might be 3/8 - 16

I just picked up a pair of Gaia II and the assortment of threaded inserts that came with, won’t work…

I’ll have to call them and see if they have any other options

joeyd

« Reply #10 on: 2 Nov 2018, 06:56 pm »
My SS8 had 3/8-16 threads. I contacted Gaia and they shipped the correct inserts.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2018, 07:46 pm »
Jim,

I just picked up a pair of Gaia II and the assortment of threaded inserts that came with, won’t work…

You can buy inserts for inserts from online sources for less. Let me check tonight to see where I recently bought some for my units to fit my Wilsons.

Ah, photo shops use them for tripods to cameras, etc.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Leg-Assembly-Parts-Accessories/ci/399/N/4075788753

GlennDog

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2018, 07:56 pm »
Thanks Joey

BRM,
 It’s a custom insert with different thread pitch on each end.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2018, 09:01 pm »
I know what they use since I have them but often bundling devices together gets you there. That's what I did. I needed a certain size so I took their adapter and adapted it once again to fit the Gaia's.

Use a long set screw and adapt it as well to the footer thread.

Don_S

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2018, 09:12 pm »
If you have/want GAIAs, there are many thread sizes available in addition to the three sizes supplied with each set.  Just ask for the size you need. There is no need to find third-party adapters.

I tried the third-party route without much luck.  Then I thought to ask if other size adapters were available from the manufacturer.  Problem solved simply.  :duh:  I love happy endings.  :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2018, 10:23 am »
Jim,

You are correct.  They are 3/8-16.

- Jim

Charles Calkins

« Reply #16 on: 5 Nov 2018, 06:14 am »
I'm wondering if anyone knows what the thread size is for the plinths on Song3's? I'm considering trying a set of IsoAcoustics Gaia footers for my speakers.

My house is about 60 years old and the wood floors are very springy and squeaky. I feel like I'm losing a lot of bass energy into the floor. When I'm downstairs, in the room under my speakers, I can hear a lot of vibration and bass from the speakers above. I might try some granite slabs under the speakers but I'm dealing with a considerable WAF so not sure those will fly. I figure the footers won't be noticeable and I've heard good things. Anyone have any experience with the Gaia's or something similar?
  I've seen the isoacoustics demo on you tube. Sounds to me that they do work. But $500 per speaker I think is way too much $$$$$
   I'm thinking buying 8 threaded casters to replace the spikes on my speakers. 8 3 inch  rubber casters cost  $40.00. I might do that.
   Right now it's on the back burner. Holidays are here. All the stores have their Xmas displays out.

Cheers
                                                                             Charlie