Gary Dodd update

Danny Richie

Gary Dodd update
« on: 27 Feb 2015, 05:37 pm »
I am sharing this not to open up a discussion but to let those of you that know Gary know how he is doing. If you have any questions about this please send me an e-mail about it.

Wednesday Gary was in the bathroom shaving when his nose started bleeding (a lot) and he passed out. When he passed out he hit his neck and jaw on the counter. It is badly bruised. And he is pretty sure his defibrillator kicked in and hit him pretty hard several times. That means his heart stopped again. He has a black eye bruised ribs and he lost a big piece of skin off his arm. Some of these injuries are consistent with him flopping around on the floor being hit with the defibrillator. He woke up on the floor about three hours later with blood all over everything,

So he picked himself up and made it to a phone that belonged to a friend. He called and said come get me. He sounded really bad. I told him I could be there by around noon the next day.

So I emptied my trailer and went down to the tax office and updated the tag on it. My wife and I left Thursday (yesterday) and went down to Dallas to get him. So that is why I was not answering the phone yesterday. The temperature was really cold, the wind was blowing, and there was a threat of snow. But we didn't get snowed on.

Gary had been in bed all morning when we got there and was not prepared for a move. He did not look good and had not eaten much in three days. I got him to eat a banana that I brought him and a chewable gummy vitamin. He looked and felt better by the end of the day.

We got one load but need to go back for another, but right now it is snowing. And we still need to go unload the trailer. We pulled in last night in the dark and cold and decided to unload the next day.

My mother-in-law has an empty small two bedroom rent house that we have fixed up and are moving him into later today. I will try to get him back to eating on a regular basis and see if I can get his strength back up. He has been out of all his meds for several weeks two. I'll have to figure something out there. He needs some of those pretty badly.

I don't know where this will go from here. He is one of the greatest audio minds of our time and I'd love to get him back to doing all the great things he has done in the past, but right now the goals are short term and revolve around stabilizing his health.

Keep him in your prayers.

steve f

Re: Gary Dodd update
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2015, 05:47 pm »
If you don't have health, you don't have anything. He has our best wishes and prayers.

steve

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2015, 06:03 pm »
Danny, you're a saint!   :notworthy:

Has he contacted the drug companies abut getting free meds?   

PM me with where to send a check for his meds.  I no speaka PayPal.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2015, 06:08 pm »
   Danny please send Gary our love and prayers. He is very lucky to have a friend like you. God bless you and Gary.

charles

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2015, 06:34 pm »
Bless you Danny - you are an amazing friend to Gary! I hope that it all somehow works out. Thoughts and prayers are being sent your way and I hope Gary gets well quickly.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2015, 07:07 pm »
Gary has an amazing friend in you, Danny.

Is there no 'net' or other social medicine program in Texas for folks such as Gary? Those who cannot afford to pay for meds have no choice but to go without - is this how it is? Are there no federal programs?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2015, 07:15 pm »
Gary has an amazing friend in you, Danny.

Is there no 'net' or other social medicine program in Texas for folks such as Gary? Those who cannot afford to pay for meds have no choice but to go without - is this how it is? Are there no federal programs?

Guys, now that he is here within our care we will explore all possible means of assistance. Let's don't turn this into a thread about our health care system.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2015, 07:17 pm »
God bless you, Danny.

I sure hope to see you up and running, Gary.  You are in our thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed on your journey back to recovery.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2015, 10:40 pm »
Call me.  Let's talk about what we can do...

arthurs

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2015, 10:59 pm »

I'm in to help, keep me posted once you guys have talked.  In the meantime, I have an original version Purity Audio Harmony Tube Buffer in great condition I'll let go for $1000 (more than half off retail) and 100% of that goes to Gary.  Great audiophile grade component to add some tube flavor to your setup.  PM me if interested.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2015, 12:02 am »
He's very lucky to have  a friend like you.
Get better, Mr. Dodd!

Bemopti123

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2015, 12:23 am »
I hope that Gary recovers and with a friend like you, all the better.  It seems like you are more like a brother than a friend to him.  All my prayers are with your and Gary. 

jpm

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2015, 12:27 am »
Occasionally, we find ourselves presented with a unique opportunity to do something heroic. Sometimes it might not seem like a big deal to us, other times it's at considerable personal cost. 

What gives me hope for humanity is to know that people grasp those opportunities, whether on their own, through membership of a religious group, through charitable work or even just by remembering all the good that comes from paying our taxes as well as the stuff we'd like to change.

It's evident that Danny isn't sharing this information for recognition, though it's well deserved. So let's celebrate our humanity and take this as a reminder to keep our eyes open for chances to help people that may depend, sometimes uniquely, on us.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2015, 01:14 am »
Much love to you and your wife and Gary.  I hope Gary gets his tube glow back soon. 

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2015, 03:02 am »
Thanks to Danny for helping Mr. Dodd
 and hope Mr. Dodd get better...

Guy 13

crohrer9

« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2015, 03:30 am »
Staring at my 120s right now.  Thank you Gary for bringing me listening bliss. Get well soon.

usp1

« Reply #16 on: 28 Feb 2015, 04:50 am »
Thank you Danny for being such a good friend. Hope you get better soon Gary.

dangerbird

« Reply #17 on: 28 Feb 2015, 10:31 am »
You ar a good man Danny!

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #18 on: 28 Feb 2015, 02:45 pm »

Ditto - Please let me know what I can do...

Thanks, Danny!

kngale1

« Reply #19 on: 28 Feb 2015, 03:16 pm »
There are federal and state programs designed to help in these situations.   Mr. Dodd can apply for housing assistance, food stamps, Medicare & Medicaid, SSD, daily personal care assistance ...  It's a PITA dealing with the bureaucracy but at the end, Mr. Dodd will have the care he needs and assistance to get back on his feet.   

I think in PA, if you're a mother of one and job pays less than $68K, state advise get on government doe and stop working.    With all the programs available, you will lose $$ by working.

I suggest pick up the phone and start calling and best of luck to Mr. Dodd.