M series positioning

Jprod

M series positioning
« on: 26 Jan 2020, 03:34 pm »
Now that some of you have had the M3/m5 for a little I was wondering what you have done with positioning the speakers ( ie distance from back wall and toe in )

I originally had them about 48 inches from back wall and toe in in mid 20°s.  Last night I tried 36-38 inches from back wall with 30° toe in.  Will listen some tonight to see how it sounds

Clayton recommended a lot of toe in with these speakers - more so than the old M3’s.

timing3435

Re: M series positioning
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2020, 08:30 pm »
 I have the M3S's. I have found that my seating height also makes a big difference. Toe-in and I get my ears as close to the height of the Mid /Tweeter for my best listening experience.  Best, T3435   

sockpit

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2020, 02:20 am »
I have the M5s 7 feet apart, same distance to my listening position in a 13 by 11 by 8 room.  They are on the long wall, 32” from it.  It’s a tight space, also a functioning office.

I found toeing in so the tweeter is directed right at my ears to be too harsh, so I’ve relaxed the angle and continue to experiment.  No loss of imaging even when pointed straight ahead, so far as I could tell.

Honestly, I’ve been concerned with the “uni-wave” tweeter-mid being rather bright compared to my previous ribbon tweeter, but have to admit it’s getting smoother with more hours logged.  I’m probably well over 150 at this point.  Either break in is occurring in the tweeter membrane or in my ear/brain.  Skeptically yours. 

timing3435

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2020, 06:45 pm »
No worries. I am very happy with the integrated sound. I want the twang of a hard guitar hit as harsh as it is. 

jazzman463

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2020, 02:27 pm »
 In my 13 X 12 room I just moved my M5's from 36 inside,40 "outside edge ,  from the back wall to 45 inside edge and 52" outside edge. I have about 135 to 145 hours on them . I am just starting to play with positioning . I did add two bass traps ( GIK monster/ thin) last week which I am also moving around. Most of my listening is done in UL at 80 to 85 dB. Still waiting for a bit more dynamics/focus  at low volume ( below 80 db ). At 85dB and above speakers are fantastic. The bass traps do clean things up, and I do not think they detract from the Mids, I think I am hearing more mids.  Moving the speakers to the new position seems to give a more holographic presentation.  Fun, fun, fun.

Jprod

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2020, 06:30 pm »
I moved my m5 to about 40 inches ( measured to the front of the speaker )  from the back wall with 25° toe in. The bass improved.  Seems like my old M3 turbos liked being out further while these like closer to the front wall. I actually ordered soffit traps from GIK but they won’t be delivered until mid Feb
I agree that below 80-85 dB they don’t sound as good.  The bass falls off precipitously.   Hopefully that will improve with break in