• http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1622 on: 23 Nov 2022, 12:48 pm »
Chris - can you send me your email please - jamestanner@bryston.com

james

Chris Cheung

« Reply #1623 on: 24 Nov 2022, 10:09 am »
Thanks Adam & Chris help to solve the hang up problem by service mode. My BDP-1 is running in Roon Ready mode healthily now. Thanks a lot.

Matt Cooney

« Reply #1624 on: 23 Dec 2022, 06:30 am »
Hi James,
I put in an email to support, but pinging here too.  Odd problem with by BDP-2.  In seems to operate correctly in all respects but will not play a song.  It will cue songs up correctly, and all other buttons seem to act correctly, but it literally will not start to play the song (clock remains at zero seconds, as opposed to playing but have a subsequent signal issue).  Same problem whether operating MPD or using front panel.  I have made sure firmware is updated and restarted.
Thanks
Matt

Jozsef

« Reply #1625 on: 23 Dec 2022, 06:57 am »
I had this happen just a couple of weeks ago. Unplugging it for 30 seconds was not effective but ten or fifteen minutes did the trick and it's been working correctly ever since. They do like to have power free from glitches but I don't now recall precisely what sorts of anomalies effect them.

Matt Cooney

« Reply #1626 on: 23 Dec 2022, 07:03 am »
Thank you for that tip!  I did try unplugging for a while, but not very long.  I have been making system changes lately that maybe caused a glitch.

ttsto

« Reply #1627 on: 26 Dec 2022, 12:57 pm »
Hi, posting here a problem and solution I found related to NAS not being discovered
I own BDP1 and music is stored on QNAP NAS TS451A. Recently I upgraded the firmware of the NAS (many versions) to 5.01 and following this BDP1 was not able to access the music shared folder, sometime showing this error:

failed to connect:mount error(95): Operation not supported Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
sudo mount -t cifs -o username='xxxxxxx',password='xxxxxxxx',uid=106 "\\\\1xx.1xx.xx.xx\\Music" "/media/Music_on_MediaCenter.local" 2>&1

Looking how to solve it I found reference that it may with a older version of SMB protocol and indeed, my NAS had a setting to allow discovery only via SMB3 and SMB2.

When I changed it to SMB1 NAS setup worked and I can enjoy music again.

I wanted to share this with technical staff from Bryston, maybe they will consider upgrading the SMB protocol, and with any of you who had / will have similar problem

freshaudio

« Reply #1628 on: 15 Mar 2023, 05:11 am »
Hello members! What is the purpose of the 5vdc bus from psu board to the main board on BDP-1/2/3?
I lifted this bus then it seems I have better audio quality when streaming Qobuz/Tidal on my BDP-1.

JfTM

« Reply #1629 on: 18 Jul 2023, 04:04 pm »
Help!!

My BDP-1 sat in its box for several years. I just fired it up. It updated to 2.45 right away and I thought off to the races.

Not so fast

My BDP-1 sees my hard disk but doesn't see any content.

Can anyone help?

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #1630 on: 18 Jul 2023, 08:43 pm »

Go to your MM dashboard.  What services are enabled?

http://bryston-bdp-1/bryston/settings/services.php

I think you will need to enable UPNP CLIENT for it to work this way.

Also see the post above yours regarding NAS discovery and SMB/CIFS version 1.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2023, 01:51 am by Stefan_DR3 »

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #1631 on: 18 Jul 2023, 08:47 pm »
Hello members! What is the purpose of the 5vdc bus from psu board to the main board on BDP-1/2/3?
I lifted this bus then it seems I have better audio quality when streaming Qobuz/Tidal on my BDP-1.

You might not notice but your motherboard is probably failing POST now. Just a guess but it probably supplies 5V to the USB ports, so those may not be working, among other features.

jcn3

« Reply #1632 on: 20 Jul 2023, 07:41 pm »
Help!!

My BDP-1 sat in its box for several years. I just fired it up. It updated to 2.45 right away and I thought off to the races.

Not so fast

Can anyone help?

The USB ports can only put out 500mA of current.  A spinning HDD will require more than that.  If you insist on connecting the drive that way, you will need to power it externally.

JfTM

« Reply #1633 on: 12 Oct 2023, 06:42 pm »
Update. BDP-1 still not working.

To recap what I've tried.

Long story.

My, early, BDP-1 sat in its box for a few years. Recently got it out and connected. It updated to S2.45 seamlessly.
I’m on MPD 17.6.
BDA-1 showed 48K and Lock.
Then problems started.
Initially connected a WD 1TB hard drive in the rear port. The BDP-1 saw the drive, but nothing on it.
Put an album on a SanDisk 512GB flash drive and connected to the front.
Saw the drive and the songs, wouldn’t play them; play button wouldn’t work.
Put a song on a SanDisk 512MB flash drive. BDP-1 couldn’t see it.
Gave up for a day.
Went back and then I got the Error 09.
Opened it up, checked connections and they seemed fine. Gave them a push anyway.
Replaced the battery.
Hooked it up again and no Error 09!
Not so fast.
BDP-1 sees the drive, the album and the songs. Still won’t play.
The play button on the BDP-1 doesn’t do anything. The virtual front panel on my iPhone is the same.

Any thoughts?

Here is the menu progression:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
« Reply #1634 on: 12 Oct 2023, 07:53 pm »
Please e-mail Adam on this - atanner@bryston.com

JfTM

« Reply #1635 on: 18 Oct 2023, 03:26 pm »
Adam got it working again!

Need to reflash the CF card.

Thanks Adam and James

alegar

« Reply #1636 on: 24 Nov 2023, 07:48 pm »
Help, I have a problem with the BDP1 USB, as a rule when I turn on the BDP1 I get error 05. I turn it off and turn it back on and error 09 appears. I have to turn it off and on several times until the errors disappear but since yesterday error 09 always appears. and every time I turn it on I keep getting error 09.

Rod_S

« Reply #1637 on: 25 Nov 2023, 07:26 pm »
A question regarding these media players and the state of the A/V market at the moment.

It seems that a lot of stereo preamps and home theater products (receivers and SSP's) released these days now have network connectivity and from what I can tell a lot appear to be able to access home networks just like the BDP players can for locating and playing back music files. I'm not sure how many have built-in in-house created media browsing interfaces allowing the viewing of album cover art, filtering, searching, etc. like Bryston created with Manic Moose however if they don't I see many have support for Apple Airplay, Chromecast, Spotify, Bluetooth, Roon, etc. I'll admit as I don't use any of those services I'm not sure which if any or all support local files or everything has to be streamed and you can't own actual files sitting on a PC or NAS for example and expect it to be played back by these services. If at least some of these services support local file playback are we not then in the middle of the demise of the dedicated music player such as the BDP's? If the preamps, receivers and SSP's can access our local media then there would be no need for the BDP's, am I correct? As to continue to use them if your preamp, receiver or SSP has this ability that then is adding an extra step for no reason in the signal path i.e. having the BDP grab the local file and then the BDP is connected to the preamp, receiver or SSP for final playback. In that scenario I can't see how the BDP could be adding quality over simply having the preamp, receiver or SSP grab and playback the file from the network. Am I missing something here regarding the continued relevance of a dedicated music player in this type of environment??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
« Reply #1638 on: 25 Nov 2023, 07:46 pm »
I think you are correct Rod - less and less need for dedicated players. 
I use my Ipad a lot as a player and my BR-20 with the Pi4 as the streamer.
I download a lot of files from Qobuz and use a NAS for music I feel is important for me long-term.

best
james

Twiga

« Reply #1639 on: 26 Nov 2023, 06:53 pm »
Can you pls share with us which playback software you use on your iPad to play the music? Also, what is the sequence the files pass through - is it streamer to iPad to BR-20?

Thanks