LGK 2.0 Preview!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
LGK 2.0 Preview!
« on: 25 Feb 2022, 01:49 am »
Hi yall!

The LGK 2.0 kits are coming soon!
We just finalized the crossover design this morning.

Just in time too! as we're about to run out of the tweeters for the Mini's.

Some quick specs for those curious:
Cabinets are 9.5"x5.5"x7.5
Slotted port is tuned to 80Hz
~84 dB effeciency. +/-1dB
Nominal impedance of 6 ohms (4 ohm dip at 15KHz)

Back panel is removable to mount the crossover. Either to it or on top of the port shelf.

Crossover will use 7 parts in total. (8 if we include a bypass cap option)

Next step is to build out a test pair using some finished cabinets, and make some videos announcing them, as well as finalizing the prices for the kit/flatpack upgrades.

We should have everything ready to go within the next couple weeks! :thumb:
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2022, 01:28 pm by Hobbsmeerkat »

RonP

Re: LGK 2.0 Preview!
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2022, 02:12 am »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2022, 03:19 am »
I'll obviously will have to try a pair of these since I like the LGK 1.0 so much.  :thumb:

NoahH

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2022, 03:21 am »
Congrats guys!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2022, 04:40 am »

Sounds like my desk at work might get an upgrade this summer.

howard1818

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2022, 02:22 pm »
any plans to do another center? I can't remember the name slim 5 maybe?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2022, 02:47 pm »
any plans to do another center? I can't remember the name slim 5 maybe?

The center is the Flat 5 and the towers the Skinny 6

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2022, 02:58 pm »
I'm not sure. But I imagine we're going to eventually revisit a lot of the original LGK line, including the Wedgies.

la80vette

« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2022, 03:25 pm »
This will be my first entry into the Hi-Fi experience. I'm very excited to receive the LGK kit. It was a long wait but hopefully worth it. I'll be honest, I don't really know what to expect. I've listened to systems owned by friends (mostly vintage gear) and immediately noticed deficiencies in the systems or the room itself.
Having experience in the DIY PA world, I appreciate the terrific value of product offerings like this and would personally like to thank Danny, his team and the community members for their passion to continue the pursuit of excellence and the fun of Do It Yourself.
God Bless You Folks,
Stephen 

tubav

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2022, 03:44 pm »
For those of us who can build our own cabinets, will there be an option for drivers, crossover parts/schematic, and cabinet plans? Thanks.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2022, 04:07 pm »
Quite possibly! We've definitely still got some details to work out on that front.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2022, 05:11 pm »
For those of us who can build our own cabinets, will there be an option for drivers, crossover parts/schematic, and cabinet plans? Thanks.

Since the desktop monitor, tower, and center don't need any wave-guides machined into the baffle, I would expect plans for these.

The Wedgies do use a wave-guide so a CNC cut baffle might be a good idea as well as a flatpack like the NX-Studio. Then again, since the baffle of the Wedgie is thinner than the NX-Studio, 45 degree V-bits for hand held routers with a long enough cut length are available which would make a complete build from plans possible. Unless the final wave-guide shape is different than what a V-bit would make.

subsonic1050

« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2022, 06:36 pm »
I really hope you guys make the cabinet plans available. DIY people want to make as much of the speakers themselves as possible. I'll be purchasing a set if speaker cabinet plans are available, but will not if it's flat pack only.

tom739

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2022, 06:54 pm »
So for folks that my buy this, why this model over the XL-S encore? Do you just need a physically small speaker? I assume the XL-S is a step up in sound quality. And much better efficiency on XLS.

mkrawcz

« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2022, 07:03 pm »
So for folks that my buy this, why this model over the XL-S encore? Do you just need a physically small speaker? I assume the XL-S is a step up in sound quality. And much better efficiency on XLS.
These are designed to be desktop speakers. Mainly computer speakers. The Encores are still going to be the better sounding speaker for a typical room. These are more for near field listening.

NoahH

« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2022, 08:10 pm »
Weird question this triggered.

If there is only one driver, is it still a crossover?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2022, 08:28 pm »
Weird question this triggered.

If there is only one driver, is it still a crossover?

More aptly called a filter with only one driver. I'm pretty sure baffle step correction would be part of that.

la80vette

« Reply #17 on: 25 Feb 2022, 08:56 pm »

Several reasons actually.
Small nearfield system that i could take from office to other usually untreated spaces.
The spectral decay was pretty awesome.
I hope to incorporate these in my studio setup as a secondary monitor to check mixes.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 25 Feb 2022, 10:06 pm »
More aptly called a filter with only one driver. I'm pretty sure baffle step correction would be part of that.

It's actually just 2 notch filters, one parallel and one in shunt. Totaling 7 parts

The original design we started with used a baffle-step filter then 2 notch filters, totaling 10 parts.

I spent some time playing around with the network and managed to get a little better response with 7 parts.
The baffle-step compensation was converted to a parallel notch filter.

here's the measured on-axis response:

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 27 Feb 2022, 12:25 am »
Hobbs has been learning quite a bit about crossover design and he did do some tweaking on these to see how far he could take them. He did a great job and what he came up with may be what sticks in the final design.

He has also been learning about tweeter wave guides and has been 3D printing some prototypes that turned out really well. So you may see a few of his marks on some of our new designs.