Problem is - No Problem

MichaelHiFi

Problem is - No Problem
« on: 8 Feb 2022, 12:49 am »
I finally have my GIK room treatments arriving - in theory - this week.

So, having had a home built purposely with an audio room in the basement, here's where I'm at.

Had the idiot contractor perform a number of "treatments" to my 2 channel room. My room is 15' wide by 19' long with the backwall being a bookcase that houses vinyl and other props.

The walls were supposed to have rockwool which was ordered and placed in rolls in the room. Someone forgot to tell the installers that the rockwool was supposed to go in this 2 channel room. It went every else except for one wall. Also, the wallboard I presume are or were supposed to be  :scratch:  :duh: not connected to the studs, there's a name for it but I forgot. Getting old. Anyway failure there but the room sounds great. Mostly due I think to the open baffle speakers, Spatial X3's. They are located out into the room maybe 5 ft and the couch seating position is similar. We have moved and tested various positions and this seems to work.

I currently have a pair of 2' by 4' panels located behind the speakers. Also have some wool rugs located in strategic places. Looks nice and again, the room sounds great.

So why the GIK room treatments? Because the room is at least the 2nd if not the first determinate of SQ, period. So I at least ordered the bass traps. I also ordered 4ea 2' x 2' acoustic panels absorber diffusor type.

My first inclination is to place them behind the speakers and move my cheaper wool panels to the center. Looking for a starting point here. Thanks!

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
Re: Problem is - No Problem
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2022, 03:31 pm »
Hi Michael,

We can definitely help advise placement on your incoming panels. Did you work with a GIK designer when you placed your order? If so, email them directly and they will be able to help. Or if not you might get in touch with the design team with our Free Advice form and we can make suggestions.

jriggy

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2022, 04:01 pm »
One piece of advice would be to move your rack back as far as you can, so it is not forward and even with the plane of the speakers. This move will certainly give you better depth of imaging.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2022, 05:31 pm »
One piece of advice would be to move your rack back as far as you can, so it is not forward and even with the plane of the speakers. This move will certainly give you better depth of imaging.

Thanks but can't do that. I'm too old and creaky to slide in behind the rack for a cable change that happens easily once a day.

youngho

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2022, 07:55 pm »

Do you find that to be the case with dipolar speakers like Spatial? Presumably there should be a relative null in the plane of the speakers.

jriggy

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2022, 06:08 pm »
Do you find that to be the case with dipolar speakers like Spatial? Presumably there should be a relative null in the plane of the speakers.

I don’t own Spatials, but funny enough, I had originally typed ‘even though these are OB speakers’ but erased it for some reason.  Null there or not, frequencies still bounce back all over the place and all the flat surfaces even with the same of the speakers will surely have an affect on depth of stage.

I left some room for getting back there for my rack, along with some carefully planned foot-stance positions, for changing cables. A whole aisle way is not needed for me personally.

Even a few or handful of inches difference between the speakers front baffle and components front surfaces can make a difference…sometimes.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to waist an inch of space back there and would scoot the rack back as far as I could manage.

Spin Lps

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2022, 06:41 pm »
If you can't push your rack back, then move it to the side wall. You will hear a noticeable difference.