Candela - no sound from left channel

vinny1

Candela - no sound from left channel
« on: 20 Jan 2022, 05:38 pm »
Hi All,

Just got my brand new upgraded kismet monos from Klaus and hooked it up. Candela pre and Epiphony Speakers. Using Oppo BDP 105 as a CD transport. Got the dreaded hum..but solved the issue. But at some point during all the debugging to isolate the hum, one channel lost sound. Swapped left and right and the bad channel moved. So confirmed that amps are good and speakers are good. I do get a faint static hum on both channels (separate issue at this point). So I swapped inputs on the candela. Same issue. Swapped cables. Same issue. I hooked up the oppo with the front left and right of the 7 channel analog instead of the stereo analog, same issue .

At this stage, can I presume that the issue is with the Candela?

Thanks
Vinay

JMW73

Re: Candela - no sound from left channel
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2022, 09:37 pm »
Your post was a tiny bit hard to follow, but it sounds like a bad tube in the Candela.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2022, 09:47 pm »
If you can access the tubes in the Candela, you might try to swap them around to see if the problem follows the tube. 

vinny1

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2022, 10:06 pm »
Good idea. Will try that. I might have a spare set somewhere too.

vinny1

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2022, 06:35 pm »
Update : In fiddling with the volume pot, I realized that the sound was moving from one channel to the other as I increase the volume (0-40, sound on left channel, 40-60 no sound on either channel, 60-100 sound moves to right channel, volume doesn’t change).

Next, I swapped the tubes. Started with sound on right channel but with volume at 50%, both channels had sound but very imbalanced towards the right channel and the sound moves to left channel at max volume.

I am waiting on new tubes to complete the last check. Replace the tubes and see what happens. If the problem persists, then I have a bad alp pot and off it goes to Klaus for a fix.

Am I missing anything?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2022, 07:45 pm »
Update : In fiddling with the volume pot, I realized that the sound was moving from one channel to the other as I increase the volume (0-40, sound on left channel, 40-60 no sound on either channel, 60-100 sound moves to right channel, volume doesn’t change).

Next, I swapped the tubes. Started with sound on right channel but with volume at 50%, both channels had sound but very imbalanced towards the right channel and the sound moves to left channel at max volume.

I am waiting on new tubes to complete the last check. Replace the tubes and see what happens. If the problem persists, then I have a bad alp pot and off it goes to Klaus for a fix.

Am I missing anything?

If it's the pot, sometimes they get dirty and just need to be cleaned to start working properly again.  If I remember correctly most of the ALPS pots are self-cleaning.  Which means you should try turning the volume all the way up and the all the way down, and repeat that like 20 times.  Obviously with no music playing!  Haha.

vinny1

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2022, 05:27 pm »
Update 2 : switched out the tubes to a different set. Same issue. So it eliminates the possibility of bad tubes. Guess I will send it to Klaus for a checkup.

Thanks
Vinay

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2022, 10:48 pm »
Yeah...Alps poti...will be a quick one

GentleBender

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2022, 03:37 am »
It is nice that Klaus alway jumps in to help solve the issues that can pop up. I’ve yet to run into any issues with my Odyssey gear, but it is nice to know he is always there if I need him.

AnalogDog

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2022, 10:09 pm »
Before you send it back to Klaus, try spraying some electronic parts cleaner into the inside of the volume pot (disconnected from AC, of course), and working the volume pot back and forth vigorously. I had identical symptoms on a little Korean hybrid integrated that used (I'm sure) a much cheaper volume pot than Klaus uses. Fixed it like a charm.  :)