Win 11 PC with no microphone input

BobM

Win 11 PC with no microphone input
« on: 19 Jan 2022, 01:36 pm »
I just bought a new DELL PC but there's no microphone jack on the front or on the back (sound card). I picked up a Sabrent USB Audio Stereo Sound Adapter (AU-MMSA) off Amazon and tried that. It has an input for a mic and an output for headphones or a speaker, but when I plug it in it doesn't work.

The PC recognizes it as a USB device. I run the speaker test tone and I see it working on the PC, but I can't hear anything through thus USB adapter. I plug in the microphone and run the test and nothing is recorded. I have a ticket open with Sabrent but am not getting satisfactory answers or solutions. I can only surmise it doesn't work on WIN11 properly.

Anyone have another idea/option that I can try inexpensively?

Doublej

Re: Win 11 PC with no microphone input
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2022, 06:00 pm »
It's not obvious that this device is supported on Windows 10/11. If it is it looks like you might need to find a Windows 10/11 driver for it.

From the Amazon page: "Driverless for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP/Server 2003/Vista/7/8/Linux/Mac OSX". If you can't find a Windows 10/11 driver for it then I would purchase another device that is explicitly supported on Windows 10 and ideally Windows 11. Perhaps this?

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Headphone-Microphone-Aluminum-Compatible/dp/B00NMXY2MO

If you have not done it yet, you should download the manual and follow the setup instructions in it. It walks you through the Windows configuration items to review and confirm that they are set properly.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2022, 07:00 pm by Doublej »