Spikes or Isolators for speakers

Emil

Spikes or Isolators for speakers
« on: 12 Jan 2022, 03:23 pm »
Forgive me if this has been discussed.

I currently have my speakers spiked thru berber carpet to a cement floor and thought about using products like Gaia but don't think they will work well over carpet.
I was thinking over using stone or  wood as a platform for the Gaia

Thoughts?

dpatters

Re: Spikes or Isolators for speakers
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2022, 03:36 pm »
You could use the spiked isolation footers from Track Point. Available from Music Direct.

My speakers weigh 250lb each.

Don P.

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2022, 03:55 pm »

I currently have my speakers spiked thru berber carpet to a cement floor and thought about using products like Gaia but don't think they will work well over carpet.

Thoughts?

what is it about the sound you're not happy with ? Myself, spikes through carpeting to a concrete floor is what I like. Now a wood suspended floor, that 'can' be whole different matter depending several variables.

Emil

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2022, 04:03 pm »
what is it about the sound you're not happy with ? Myself, spikes through carpeting to a concrete floor is what I like. Now a wood suspended floor, that 'can' be whole different matter depending several variables.

Just exploring.
Never know what's better until you try

Emil

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2022, 05:13 pm »
You could use the spiked isolation footers from Track Point. Available from Music Direct.

My speakers weigh 250lb each.

Don P.

Thanks Dan but a bit to expensive for me unless I had James Franklin's contract :icon_lol:

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2022, 05:34 pm »
The option #1;
Purchase carpet discs, but I believe the speakers would become wobbly, unstable.Less work, but expensive.

The option #2;
Use existing spikes from your speakers for the stone or wooden platforms, install Gaia pads on your speakers.

The option #3; (my favorite, because I'm a heavy metal maniac, who woulndn't give a fuck about the carpet)
Make nice big stone or wooden platforms and screw those bastards to the concrete floor through the carpet, then place your speakers on stable platforms.

When I found my sweet spots for speakers, I took gently wet rug, tilted the speakers and wiped the bottoms of Gaia pads, they're sucked to the floor.If for some reason, you'll have to move speakers in the future, gently and slowly tilt them, until suction gives up, don't you force it!!!
Are Gaia pads worth it?HELL YES!!!!!(Sorry about my English)

« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2022, 07:16 pm by Mariusz Uszynski »

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2022, 05:39 pm »
Another option worth trying is using the carpet spike with Symposium Rollerblock’s and Svelte Shelf, this combination really work for me. Sounds amazing, I will not be without that setup under my speakers now.

jandrews

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2022, 07:02 pm »
@toocool4
Interesting use of the Svelte Shelf underneath the speaker stand itself.  I'm looking to do something similar with my bookshelf speaker stands.
Could the Svelte Shelf be used directly on the floor between the stand and the floor if on a hardwood floor?  or are the Rollerblock type footer necessary in that case too?

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2022, 07:24 pm »
jandrews sure you can use it directly on a hard floor, I just used the Rollerblocks because it just took what the Svelte Shelf did up another level. The combination of both Rollerblocks and Svelte Shelf, was better than just using either on it's own. The Svelte Shelf on it's own did a better job than the Rollerblocks own their own (in my situation anyway), but both together are just magical. Try it and see what you think.

I do believe Symposium recommends and make couplers for situations like this anyway.

Emil

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2022, 07:54 pm »
Just noticed this thread
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179973.msg1892352;topicseen#new

Last post:

I called IsoAcoustics and spoke with a very helpful person who suggested I put a slab of marble or butcher block under the feet  (not using the carpet discs of course) saying a number of customers have had success doing so. Not having either on hand I tried an 18" square of heavy porcelain floor tile which I had around and it works beautifully! The tile is quite stable on the carpet. And the tile even matches and blends with the carpet. The person also made a point of saying the Gaia feet are designed to have some give to them and not to confuse that with a wobble caused by an unstable base on which they are sitting. The speakers do have a bit of to and fro movement but the tile seems stationary so it is working correctly. I believe the addition of the feet have improved music's articulation somewhat. My initial reaction is that music sounds a bit clearer and crisper. Nice!!

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2022, 10:18 pm »

Thoughts?

Emil, another option are Cone / Spike Decoupling Gliders from Herbie's Audio Lab.
I used these with great success under my Dynaudio Contour S3.4 in my basement that had berber carpet over concrete. Besides improving the bass and over all resolution, they made moving these 70 lb spkrs very easy.

Steve 

Emil

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2022, 05:19 pm »
Thanks to all who have responded :thumb: