what should I have an electrician install for audio system

willief23

I am having an electrician come out to install some EP 2750 ground filters on my home theater and computer circuits. Besides having a dedicated line put in what else can the electrician do to either the breaker panel or in general to improve audio or reduce power line noise? I have heard of adding an additional grounding rod. Any other tips/suggestions?

WGH

Re: what should I have an electrician install for audio system
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2022, 05:14 am »
The electrician will have to follow your local code.

"Multi-grounding renders equipment susceptible to lightning induced transient over-voltages as well as steady-state noise caused by ground loop currents."
https://www.transtector.com/resources/blog/Grounding-Do-s-and-Dont-s

Here is what Michael Fremer did:

Analog Corner #315: The Electrical Cure
https://www.stereophile.com/content/analog-corner-315-electrical

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2022, 12:48 pm »
Install heavier gauge wire, standard residential is 14 gauge with 15 amp circuit breakers, my entire house is 12 gauge/20 amp breakers.  All boxes in our house are plastic.  I had dedicated circuits run to each of three audio hospital grade cryogenically treated duplex receptacles.  (Not a disciple of cryo, just did it based on a while I was at it philosophy and wasn't too expensive.)  And they were grounded together but separate from the rest of the house.  The only problem is needing a cheap grounding plug for the 3rd subwoofer that is plugged into a fourth receptacle. 

This scheme was recommended by an electrical contractor who was an AC member, sorry can't recall his name.

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2022, 02:19 pm »
i installed the EP-2050 right where the power comes into the box and also added a EP ground filter.
the picture will show the 2050 on the lower part of the panel but had electrician move it to where the power first comes into the panel.
Also some EP receptacle boxes forget what they are called.
basically created a bubble within a bubble type protection.
And to top it off I have two Torus 240v.
this has been in house since 07 I believe and no problems as of yet.
all 10awg wiring and 8awg for the two Torus

ric

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2022, 02:40 pm »
I believe standard residential construction is 12 gauge (not 14) for outlets and 14 gauge for lighting. Some people when they put in a new dedicated circuit use 10ga wire, but keep in mind it is a pain to put those wires in standard size duplex boxes, so check with your electrician. Double grounds are a no-no, as far as I understand.
   Once you get the wiring in, EVERYTHING, from audiophile outlets, to plate covers, to power cords affect the quality of sound. Good luck!

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2022, 02:10 am »
14 awg for 15 amp circuit, 12awg for 20 amp circuit.

Bonding the grounds together on 3 separate branch circuits is redundant as they are all connected together in the panel, on the ground buss bar. Any stereo system should carry only one grounded component (or none) to eliminate ground loops.

An extra grounding rod is just not necessary unless the existing one is poorly installed.

If all 3 circuits are not on the same side of the box, I can see a problem with the sound stage (personal experience).