A big topic I know: Audio signal cables, techniques, pros and cons

Sandbakk

• Dipole is my choice of speaker construction.
Hello to all of you knowledgeable people, a BIG topic; this topic has been discussed many times in countless places, I know, and there is no definitive answer either. After all, it comes down to the subjective listening experience, here as with all other types of equipment.

But:

I still address the topic, since I for my part have relatively little knowledge in the field of signal cables for "home audio use". I worked for many years, in the 80s and 90s, as a sound technician in television, so I am well acquainted with the use of balanced audio signal cables over long cable runs.

But all the different cable types and the technical properties of different plugs, cables and connections I am unfamiliar with. So therefore I ask for your opinions on analog signal cables with lengths up to, say, two meters (six feet), RCA or XLR:

What would be the best way to make an audio signal cable in terms of resistance, inductance, capacitance, EMI, RFI, or ESI? Advantages and disadvantages of different techniques:

Shielded cable vs braided cable with many braided conductors?

Foil Shield?

Braid Shield?

Foil & Braid Shield?
Triple shield, ie shield both on each conductor as well as on the outside of the cable itself?

Double shield twisted cable?

Braided multi-wire cable WITH shield on the outside?
PVC versus other materials in the insulation?
Using Conductive Tape?

Sorry if this does not fit here, is discussed in other threads or becomes too large to answer in one thread.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Either unshielded solid core or litz wire sounds best.  Now that that's solved, next.

ric

Check out Iconoclast cable, as far as what they offer about the subject:
https://www.iconoclastcable.com/speaker/index.htm

Doublej

Check out Iconoclast cable, as far as what they offer about the subject:
https://www.iconoclastcable.com/speaker/index.htm

Watch this for a great lecture from Galen. Unfortunately he did not address cable termination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3nZM2BP9Ew

navi

Hello to all of you knowledgeable people, a BIG topic; this topic has been discussed many times in countless places, I know, and there is no definitive answer either. After all, it comes down to the subjective listening experience, here as with all other types of equipment.

But all the different cable types and the technical properties of different plugs, cables and connections I am unfamiliar with. So therefore I ask for your opinions on analog signal cables with lengths up to, say, two meters (six feet), RCA or XLR:

What would be the best way to make an audio signal cable in terms of resistance, inductance, capacitance, EMI, RFI, or ESI? Advantages and disadvantages of different techniques:

Shielded cable vs braided cable with many braided conductors?

Foil Shield?

Braid Shield?

Foil & Braid Shield?
Triple shield, ie shield both on each conductor as well as on the outside of the cable itself?

Double shield twisted cable?

Braided multi-wire cable WITH shield on the outside?
PVC versus other materials in the insulation?
Using Conductive Tape?

Sorry if this does not fit here, is discussed in other threads or becomes too large to answer in one thread.

For 2 metre runs I would def. go Balanced XLR. just in case of picking up noise.

But you could do a 2 metre run of single ended RCA I would go shielded larger gauge wire at least 24gauge. I use a low capacitance cable and it's been the most neutral I've used (neutral isn't for everybody).

Solid core or Stranded? Doesn't matter.

toocool4

Borrow and experiment, go with what sounds best to your ears.

Sandbakk

• Dipole is my choice of speaker construction.
WOW! This is a much bigger topic than I could have ever imagined. So many theories, so many different cables and constructions. So much to choose from, so many choices to make. If one wants.

My purpose with this thread was to see if it could be possible to find a kind of common denominator to work from in terms of being able to make your own cables. It may seem that this is more difficult to achieve than first thought. Unless I relate to the fact that I'm not 20 years anymore, and my hearing is limited up to 13-14kHz, and that I may not even be able to hear the difference between different cables. But it could have been fun to try.

I have read about the Litz theory, about Iconoclast cables, watched Galen Gareis' video on Youtube, and also read Galen Gareis' papers on cable theory! I have looked at products from a number of manufacturers, such as Blue Jeans Cables, Belden, Mogami, Cardas, including Cardas Bulk Cables, which unfortunately are almost impossible to get in Europe / Norway.
Especially 1x21.5 Coax / Litz from Cardas could be well suited for a DIY RCA cable.
I have also looked at NORDOST ODIN 2 RCA or XLR, which in Norway costs $25000 (a pair)!!

And I'm even more confused than before. :D But I will eventually make my choices, and make my own cables. Just to try.

Thanks for all the great feedback so far.