Qobuz in Canada May 2023

gbaby

Re: Qobuz in Canada May 2023
« Reply #20 on: 1 Mar 2023, 03:52 pm »
Another nice feature in Qobuz is you can download the digital file for your library in full resolution - try this album if you like Blues !

An unfortunate consequence of this is that you are assisting in putting new artist out of business as they are not getting paid as much for their efforts.  :o

SlushPuppy

« Reply #21 on: 1 Mar 2023, 04:27 pm »
Not me. I want to listen to what I already own and I have now gravitated to vinyl, the ones I already own.

An unfortunate consequence of this is that you are assisting in putting new artist out of business as they are not getting paid as much for their efforts.  :o

And how is not buying any new music or listening to a streaming service contributing to the artists? At least they're getting something when we listen to Qobuz, Tidal, etc.

newzooreview

« Reply #22 on: 1 Mar 2023, 04:57 pm »
I discover new music through Qobuz and buy the music I like because it sounds better streamed locally. That's just me.

In the big picture, audiophiles and Qobuz don't matter much to artists. Most people listen via Youtube or Spotify, and 86% of people who listen to music do not buy it in any form, CDs or downloads. https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/online-music-listening-preferences

Artists make of their money through touring, merchandise, session work, licensing to TV and movies, and social media. Social media drives radio airplay and remuneration for sponsored posts:

"One fascinating case study here is this roundup of musician net worth, based on payments for sponsored Instagram posts before and after a song was dropped on social media. Here, we see how a single TikTok hit can dramatically multiply an artist’s net worth. For example, Olivia Rodrigo’s payment per Instagram post jumped 349% following the release of “Driver’s License,” from $22,514 to $101,085. Today, social media success will shape your success as an artist."

https://themusicuniverse.com/how-music-artists-make-money/

gbaby

« Reply #23 on: 2 Mar 2023, 02:57 am »
And how is not buying any new music or listening to a streaming service contributing to the artists? At least they're getting something when we listen to Qobuz, Tidal, etc.

I don't know the kind of work you do, but if folks you work for had this attitude and cut off or reduced your pay and say at least you are getting something, you'd be in bad shape. Have some empathy. Research why Prince disliked streaming. Research what artists get for streaming. I attend many concerts and talk directly to artists. They are hurting.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #24 on: 2 Mar 2023, 03:27 am »
The entire industry was 95% piracy before streaming. Young people that never bought a record or CD (and probably never will) at least stream everything now and pay for the service.

I stream mostly for background music and to decide what records to buy and then I BUY them. Like how we used to discover music by listening to the radio, but better. So they make money off me both ways.
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2023, 03:07 pm by Stefan_DR3 »

alanford69

« Reply #25 on: 2 Mar 2023, 11:41 am »
Another nice feature in Qobuz is you can download the digital file for your library in full resolution - try this album if you like Blues !

You know what's funny? This album is not available in Qobuz from Italy  :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #26 on: 2 Mar 2023, 12:44 pm »
Maybe order the CD then - its a great album !

james

newzooreview

« Reply #27 on: 2 Mar 2023, 04:35 pm »
For what it's worth, I don't see that album in the Qobuz discography for him in the US either.

I had to order it on Discogs from a seller in Norway. It was 8 Euros and did arrive in good condition.

It comes up as $44 on Amazon from a third party seller, so the Discogs route turned out to be the best.

Looks like there are still sellers on Discogs in the same 9 Euro price range: https://www.discogs.com/release/3463682-Hans-Theessink-Journey-On

They seem to list the third party sellers specific to each release, so the Austrian release and the German release have their own Discogs pages and market listings.

The Discogs page also has links to Youtube to check out the tracks on the album.

GSDaudio

« Reply #28 on: 27 Apr 2023, 05:38 pm »
FYI Canadians.....Qobuz is live in Canada a month earlier than promised.   I had submitted my email address to be notified when they were available....they didn't email me yet...stumbled into Qobuz Canada and they are up and running.   Cheers

Melting735

« Reply #29 on: 11 May 2023, 03:04 am »
I was waiting for this day for so long. I have tried so many things VPN, virtual Mastercard, virtual IS address, etc, jut couldn't make it happen. Finally, quobuz is here and no more MQAs. Cheers!

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2023, 08:40 pm »

Listening to the free trial I notice a consistent character in the sound. Presence, slightly forward sounding with prominent snare harmonics, tambourine, somewhere around 1-2k that makes you think that the lower to mid bass is lacking (even though it isn't). Because of this I keep hearing performers speaking during the intro on familiar songs when that kind of thing was completely inaudible. Those familiar songs sounded much the same no matter the listening conditions including the streaming source. Qobuz is different somehow. Other than that Qobuz sounds uncolored and neutral to a fault, in other words unmusical and not really involving. No wonder, I love that 320k mp3 sound.

jseymour

« Reply #31 on: 12 May 2023, 09:22 pm »
Qobuz on its own sounds good, but run through Audirvana Studio's audio engine it is superior to Roon IMO.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2023, 01:30 pm »
If you find an exceptional sounding recording on Qobuz maybe post it here.

If you like light blues this is a really great album

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #33 on: 13 May 2023, 02:41 pm »
Charles Lloyd “Tone Poem” 96/24
Absolutely stunning on my Bryston combo (BDP3/BDA3).

Sounds like pure analog, very dynamic and not forward at all.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 14 May 2023, 04:53 pm »
Great acoustic recording

stereoal

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jun 2023, 06:01 pm »
Has anyone in Canada subscribed to this service? Care to review it? I have Amazon Unlimited and am thinking of dropping it in favour of Qobuz.

PeterG

re Qobuz coming to Canada May 2023
« Reply #36 on: 9 Jun 2023, 01:53 pm »
I've had Qobuz for 2 months....coming from Apple Music and briefly Amazon Music.

Just casual listening and a few A/B tests with my files using a Bryston BDP3 player and logged into Qobuz on the BDP3 ....sound quality is very high....very close to my file quality...16/44 or higher....I perceive my file quality to have slightly more resolution....it's close enough that the diffs are almost immaterial and could just be my own perceptual diffs ...also pretty close to Apple Music even though you have to cast the signal, which is 24/44 max or plug in a player to get full resolution.

Selection looks good for what I listen too....rock/punk/new wave/jazz mostly.....a bit of classical.

Given the above, choice comes down to convenience...can log in on BDP3 and selection. The new Bryston software/app is imminent and could very well allow direct log in of Apple Music and Amazon Music, so convenience may no longer be an issue.

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #37 on: 9 Jun 2023, 04:23 pm »
Has anyone in Canada subscribed to this service? Care to review it? I have Amazon Unlimited and am thinking of dropping it in favour of Qobuz.

Yes a few posts up I commented that it sounds amazing. I just felt that it was perfectly organic and dynamic.
You could get the 30-day free trial and find out.
If there’s any difference between their streams and original files it is a very pleasing one.

GSDaudio

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jun 2023, 11:57 am »

I like the hi-rez playlists available.   I don't know if they sound better than redbook but they tend to be mastered/remastered with the audiophile in mind.   I had Tidal before and I would say Qobuz is better sounding.  Note I avoided any MQA files in Tidal.

The interface im the browser is much cleaner than Tidal.   Tidal seemed to "push" certain music aimed at the average 20 year old.   Qobuz is easy when looking for a classic rock hi-rez playlist compared to Tidal as well.   I sometimes build playlists in the browser because it's easy.  My BDP-3 automatically loads these playlists for easy playback.   

I use the search function in MM as well.   I tried to find the most obscure music to test the catalog.   Qobuz has "Disco Duck" but so does Tidal.   Qobuz has multiple versions of "Halloween" by The Ministry....Tidal does not.   

Bottom line:  I'm happy with Qobuz and now have an annual subscription.

Cheers!

sfraser

« Reply #39 on: 12 Jun 2023, 12:51 pm »
Signed up on the weekend for the free 1 month Qobuz trial. Will decide later if I am going to keep it. I am streaming it via a Logitech Media Server Qobuz Plugin.  Most of my listening thus far has been via a Max2play/Squeezelite  Pi equipped with a HiFiBerry Digi card feeding a Anthem AVM 60/Bryston 9BST/PSB Stratus Goldi.  In general it is pretty good. I am noticing a slight emphasis on mid range frequencies, but that may just be the tracks I picked or the mood i was in. I have listened to a variety of playlists (great way to get introduced to new music) and last night we played some Art Pepper, Chet Baker and Dr. John.  Thus far a favourable impression.