Poll

In Home Auditions: Your input is most welcome!

I like the idea of trying out gear in my home!
8 (80%)
Havn't participated in a tour, but would like to.
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 23 May 2010, 10:50 am

Making Auditioning Fun & Informative for Everyone

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Making Auditioning Fun & Informative for Everyone
« on: 23 Apr 2010, 10:50 am »
I changed the format of the poll to make it more of a discussion.

Auditioning equipment in your own home should be a positive experience.

If you have, have not or would like to participate in a tour, your thoughts are welcomed.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2010, 01:43 pm by Niteshade »

Wind Chaser

Re: Auditioning Equipment: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2010, 11:07 am »
I've never participated in a tour, but I've auditioned a lot of gear in my home.  The dealers that I've done business with will usually let me take home what I want without a deposit.  Dealers that don't know me have required a deposit.  A weekend is more than enough time for me, unless it's a keeper, then I make one last attempt to negotiate the price.  8)

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2010, 11:48 am »
What I like about a tour is that it lets you audition the piece in your room in your system.  Can't beat that.

I don't like the idea of a deposit, but would accept one.  I would feel like the feeling of returning a rental car.  How would you prove a broken tube for instance.  I think a mfg has to look at this as an advertising expense and the equipment may need some brush up work when/if it returns and to be sold at a demo price.  This leads me to:  I don't like the tour unit being sold and holding up the tour.  If the tour unit is available for sale and sold then a second one should be ready to go.

I would give the audition-er one week.  That way it covers a weekend.  I would hate to audition a piece from mon-fri with my schedule.

A tour should gather a list of users for 15 days then it stops and the tour starts.  The tour route is established and late comers get added to the end.

A cc # was required and held but not charged and refunded.

A separate thread by the users should be started for comments and reviews.

hope that helps

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Re: Making Auditioning Fun & Informative for Everyone
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2010, 01:46 pm »
Thank for for your answers so far! I modified the poll and the subject a little to be of better use to all of us. Tours should be a positive experience for all those involved, including the manufacturer. Everybody's input is welcome, whether you have or have not been part of a product tour.

Manufacturers are welcome to jump in as well.

K Shep

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2010, 02:24 pm »
I've auditioned cables, amps and an integrated amp at home.  As stated, you can't beat listening to a piece of gear in your room. 
I've also brought a pair of speakers to an audio shop to compare side by side with other speakers, that was very inlightening.

It's difficult to cull through individuals who just want to hear a different piece of gear and those interested in purchasing a new piece of gear.  In the end, for a manufacturer with a great piece of equipment all publicity is good publicity.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2010, 03:05 pm »
Your poll only has two answers, both of them what you want to hear, not what you need to know.

I don't get it.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2010, 03:30 pm »
Again nothing like comparing apples to apples in your home. The cottage industry can thrive on tours IMO.
   Showing at CES or other affairs can be very costly and not advantageous to direct sales companies. I believe we need to support the cottage industry as much as we can. A brick and mortar takes 40% at a minumum and if a distributor is involved another 20%. Yes they offer a fine service for a fee. Warranted in many instances, however not for all.
  So tours with NO deposoit on gear, and a review required from the recipients would suffice. I would much rather test a piece in my own system for a shipping fee to the next person. Exposure is key for the cottage industry. I cannot think of a better way to expose your wares. 
  Another way would be to finance ones system like a car. A manf. could work out a deal with a local bank to support the loans. Hey another monthly payment at a reasonable vig would be great. Access to more expensive gear. A trade in program as well . This would create another market for those who who desire not to buy new.
  The game needs a change. Just thinking out loud.

charles

Quiet Earth

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:37 pm »
cottage cheese
 :scratch:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2010, 09:56 pm »
What questions would you like to be added? If you have some good questions, I will be happy to add them.

Your poll only has two answers, both of them what you want to hear, not what you need to know.

I don't get it.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:17 am »
Ok, time for a confession. :angel:

I've never even heard of a "tour" until about two weeks ago when you (nightshade) mentioned it in another thread. Also, I had no idea that there is an entire cottage industry of working professionals thriving on the results of sending gear around the country. Where the heck have I been? I guess I'm still living in the 1970s. :oops:

I've never participated in a tour, but I've auditioned a lot of gear in my home.  The dealers that I've done business with will usually let me take home what I want without a deposit.  Dealers that don't know me have required a deposit.  A weekend is more than enough time for me, unless it's a keeper, then I make one last attempt to negotiate the price.  8)

This is the way it is for me too. I like to go into a store, hang around and meet different people in person. I like to see different set ups and hear things in different settings too. This keeps the fun factor alive and the creative juices flowing. Back in the heyday when there were at least 4 high end audio stores in our cow town, not to mention a dozen midfi stores (including department stores), it was all too easy to just walk in, hang around and listen. Talk and listen, listen and talk. Most of the time I could decide right there in the store if I really liked something, but if the item was pricey or quirky, then a home audition was usually offered.

I realize that times change and that audio dealers are becoming a dying breed. Everyone (including me) wants the lowest price and a free education. However, I fear that if we are not careful we may slice off one of the hands that feeds us.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2010, 06:19 am »
 Quiet Earth ....

Ok, time for a confession.

I've never even heard of a "tour" until about two weeks ago when you (nightshade) mentioned it in another thread. Also, I had no idea that there is an entire cottage industry of working professionals thriving on the results of sending gear around the country. Where the heck have I been? I guess I'm still living in the 1970s.

Never heard of an equipment tour...where ya been ??? :scratch:

There have been many tours here on AC....going all the way back to 2003.
Here's just a few companies that have made their products available to AC members....and tours that I was lucky enough to hear their equipment in my system.... 8)

SAS Audio - Preamp
Juicy Music - Preamp
GR Research - Speakers
Selah - Speakers
Bolder Cable - Cables ....JJAC Amp...DAC
Ridge Street Audio - Cables
SilverFi - Cables
Aspen Audio - Amp
IRD Audio - Preamp
BP Audio - Amp
Shamrock Audio - Speakers

And there have been many others..... :thumb:

dangerbird

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2010, 11:26 am »
I have auditioned a few pieces of gear in my home--accept no substitute whenever possible,,ie,, amp,pre, speakers,and cables,such as IC & SC,,just my humble .02.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2010, 04:22 pm »
There have been many tours here on AC....going all the way back to 2003.

SAS Audio - Preamp
Juicy Music - Preamp
GR Research - Speakers
Selah - Speakers
Bolder Cable - Cables ....JJAC Amp...DAC
Ridge Street Audio - Cables
SilverFi - Cables
Aspen Audio - Amp
IRD Audio - Preamp
BP Audio - Amp
Shamrock Audio - Speakers

Wow, I had no idea. I missed all of those. I vaguely remember seeing threads about guys sending stuff around, but I always thought it was a select group of friends sharing personal projects. I'll have to pay more attention in the future.