Sensation M451 mods- listening impressions

se-riously

Re: Sensation M451 mods- listening impressions
« Reply #40 on: 9 Nov 2010, 06:44 am »
I know that the AuriCaps needed some burn-in time. Does anyone know how much time the SoniCaps need?  I don't want to write a comparison if the SoniCaps haven't had enough time.

The Gen I cap takes about 100 hours.  The platinum bypass takes about 400-500 hours.   :slap:

wsturner

« Reply #41 on: 9 Nov 2010, 04:30 pm »
The Gen I cap takes about 100 hours.  The platinum bypass takes about 400-500 hours.   :slap:

OK then...My review will come out sometime during summer 2012  :|

dvenardos

« Reply #42 on: 9 Nov 2010, 05:22 pm »
I haven't tried the platinums with the sonicaps, but I like both the auricaps and the sonicaps. I feel that the auricaps add a slight coloration as the sonicaps with gen 2 bypass sound clean, detailed, and neutral whereas the auricaps sound warmer.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #43 on: 9 Nov 2010, 06:07 pm »
I know this is off topic a bit but my Two.2 has Auricaps and I'm wondering if I could upgrade them to whatever kind? I could mod a Two.2 correct?

Mama Virtue

« Reply #44 on: 9 Nov 2010, 06:43 pm »
I know this is off topic a bit but my Two.2 has Auricaps and I'm wondering if I could upgrade them to whatever kind? I could mod a Two.2 correct?

Yes, some people have upgraded to Sonicaps and done the upgrade themselves. Seth or Jason would have to answer for sure, but as far as I know as long as they are the same (2.2 uF) you can upgrade to whatever caps your heart desires  :D If you want to upgrade and want someone to do it for you please PM Jason T.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 9 Nov 2010, 07:04 pm »
Thanks Cami!!! :thumb:

wsturner

« Reply #46 on: 9 Nov 2010, 08:12 pm »
eclein,

You can see, from the picture, that I am currently running my M451 as follows:

Left: Sonicap with Platinum bypass
Right: AuriCap

My initial impression: The AuriCap is a fine capacitor AND the Sonicap is a fine capacitor. I would also agree with the earlier post about them having sonic differences.

I just don't want you to think that your current setup is lacking - it's not.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 9 Nov 2010, 08:23 pm »
I got that, I was just curious if it was something to maybe do down the road...I'm enjoying this little gem the way it is!!! The "auricaps sound warmer" was mentioned and thats what I like...Thanks!! :thumb:

dvenardos

« Reply #48 on: 9 Nov 2010, 11:38 pm »

wsturner

« Reply #49 on: 10 Nov 2010, 12:33 am »
You know...Seth should just sell us a breadboard - along with a box of parts and a schematic.

This would make it so much easier for us to replace the original parts with different parts   :)
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2010, 01:42 am by wsturner »

wsturner

« Reply #50 on: 26 Apr 2011, 06:29 pm »
I recently hosted a listening party. I started with a TrendsAudio TA 10 - with AuriCap upgrade - then moved to the M451. Needless to say, everyone agreed that the M451 blew away the TA 10.

The thing I enjoyed seeing, though, is how their jaws dropped when I powered the M451 with batteries - rather than the standard power supply. Virtue amps, on batteries, are truly amazing!!!

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #51 on: 27 Apr 2011, 01:07 am »
I recently hosted a listening party. I started with a TrendsAudio TA 10 - with AuriCap upgrade - then moved to the M451. Needless to say, everyone agreed that the M451 blew away the TA 10.

The thing I enjoyed seeing, though, is how their jaws dropped when I powered the M451 with batteries - rather than the standard power supply. Virtue amps, on batteries, are truly amazing!!!

I see by looking at the picture that someone need to contact me for some cables  :D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: 27 Apr 2011, 01:09 am »
I see by looking at the picture that someone need to contact me for some cables  :D

Why?  Do you sell cordless cables?

wsturner

« Reply #53 on: 27 Apr 2011, 05:08 pm »

Come on JT! There are a few Nirvana cables in the mix :)

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #54 on: 27 Apr 2011, 11:56 pm »
Come on JT! There are a few Nirvana cables in the mix :)

ok I'll give you a break :)