What is minimum acceptable tube power for highpassed Jaguars

Dozer

If I run Jaguars highpassed at 85Hz, can I get along with a 17wpc tube amp?   Or what is the minimum power I'll need?  room is med-large, and I have a single Titan sub to work with.

A different way of putting it - what kind of amp is most ideal, within a budget <1500 or so, to run highpassed Jaguars.   Obviously I don't need iron-fisted bass control of a Krell etc..  

Any advice for this kind of application?

Eric

« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2004, 08:45 pm »
Here is a review of the Jags / Titan with the high-pass filter. He was even able to use a 13 watt set amp with good results

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/aci_jaguar2000_followup.htm

Sfogg

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2004, 08:14 pm »
How loud do you like to listen and how big is your room and how far are you from your speakers?

I ran my Jag's with tube power for awhile but they were a pair of modified phase bridged Dyanco Stereo 70s which would have been somewhere around 70-100ish watts each. They were high passed to a sub as well.

My system did double duty for music and movies and this setup was almost enough power for all my listening but they got a little harsh on movies when played back at THX Ref level.

I ended up switching to an original Sunfire on the Jags and then to a Crown K2... the Jags loved the extra power and they were a nice combo with the Crown.

Gut reaction is that a 17 wpc tube amp just wouldn't be very satisfactory on the Jags... esp. if it was a high output impedance type tube amp.

Shawn

Dozer

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2004, 10:15 pm »
You're right Shawn.  I bought a 18wpc push pull Audio Note amp a couple days ago, hopefully.....

Not enough unfortunately.    But I really like the sound of the amp, so I am in a total quandry right now.   Both amps are for sale and I think if I can sell both, I will try to get a bigger tube amp.   Meanwhile I am just living with less than optimal slam.. there are worse fates I guess.

I don't need the movie power.. just need to be able to thump it when I play rock.

I do not have audio nirvana right now, but I think a costlier tube setup is the way to get there..

Thanks so much for the reply!

Sfogg

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2004, 02:05 pm »
Just based on the power needs I'd think you would be looking at tube amps like Dynaco MKIIIs. the larger Quicksilvers or things like a CJ Premier 11a and such depending upon budget. IOWs.. push pull 6550 or KT88 amps for the extra power.

Shawn