Trying to restart my Audio interests after 15 years

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Trying to restart my Audio interests after 15 years
« Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2019, 11:23 am »
OSHA says continued exposure to 85 dB or higher will result in permanent hearing loss and possible lifetime pain.  But most music is not a constant volume and from my experience most audiophiles keep averages well under 80 dB.  Agreed, hearing aids aren't cool, which is why I wear hearing protection when mowing. 

Those KEF maybe the latest, but not the greatest IMO.  Locks you into a questionable DAC.  Still has cords for power, connection between speakers, and sub(s).  And wired connections offer higher fidelity than wireless, which would be another cord/box.  Lifestyle still compromises sound quality. 

I use active monitors with a DAC/preamp and computer which for me offers the best compromise between sound quality and minimalistic goals.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 25 Apr 2019, 11:32 am »
SMT that Life Style systems are made with house decor in mind not sound quality, would be the life style systems aimed at the female market.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #22 on: 8 May 2019, 07:50 am »
:D. 25,000.00 bucks ????  Just for speakers ??  You do know we are in a recession ??   :D  :popcorn:

🤣🤣🤣🤣... :popcorn:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 8 May 2019, 09:59 am »
I neglected to mention two of my favorite topics: 

1.)  The room (next to speakers the most significant component in your system).  IMO nearly all systems are 'over geared' for the given room.  Bigger is better, but shape is more important.  Bass travels in waves, mids/highs in rays, so room shape determines bass behavior.  And because mids/highs are best generated away from walls in front of you and bass is best created almost anywhere else, the best solution is monitors with 3 or 4 subs carefully placed around the room.  Use of sub(s) also allow for tuning via absorption/diffusion treatments (the 2nd stage solution after room shape/size) and EQ/DSP (the 3rd and last stage solution). 

DSP is available via software in the form of REW (Room Eq Wizard, sophisticated freeware) or Dirac Live (easier to use), both require use of a calibrated USB microphone (but only works with digital sources).  DSPeaker 8033S is a simpler hardware solution that works for all sources (bass frequencies only).  Note with the use of Controlled Directivity (CD) speakers DSP is not required for mids/highs.  CD is gaining popularity (especially for studio monitors): Amphion, JBL 305/705/708, Kii3, and Dutch & Dutch 8C. 

2.)  Active speakers.  Actives use a low voltage crossover (that can include DAC, DSP, etc.) to feed one channel of amplification per driver.  Heard an A/B of passive versus active of the same speaker ($800/pair Paradigm Studio 20 v.2 versus $1600/pair Paradigm Active 20) 18 years ago.  No comparison, the Actives were way more dynamic (lively), offered flat frequency response (a revelation in itself), and unbelievably deep/tight bass with superior imaging/coherence.  No wonder way studio professionals almost exclusively use active speakers.  With the direct amp to driver connection efficiency goes up, each can be optimized to the other, and a direct/simple feedback (drivers are reactive) is afforded. 

Got my start with actives through a back door - single driver designs, which is a purist approach that's popular with SET amp owners that utilizes the one channel of amplification per driver concept.  Still have a commissioned pair of single driver speakers after 15 years, but since have also owned a couple pair of active monitors, Dynaudio BM5 Mk3 and now JBL 708P.