Is Magnepan going to sell direct online?

Saturn94

Is Magnepan going to sell direct online?
« on: 18 Nov 2023, 04:04 am »
Every so often I take a look at the Magnepan website.  This evening I noticed this

Is this an indication Magnepan is going to start selling direct online?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Is Magnepan going to sell direct online?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2023, 08:40 am »
It's hard to say, just about everything is saying Sold Out.
I know they've been fooling around with their price structure for the dealers: it went from this is the price to List versus Retail.
Maybe they're rethinking their sales model again.

They had a new speaker or two at the Capitol Audio Fest, a 2.7i and then there's a 2.7x.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-2023-capitol-audio-fest-alan-taffel/

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2023, 10:57 am »
I imagine the brick and mortar network is collapsing on them as well.  I know of only one dealer in all of Western PA.  Magnapan might have had one of the most stable dealer networks in America, but I can't imagine how even that could be maintained.  My guess is the sales model has been a customer calls the factory who finds the closest dealer to recommend them to and they route the sale through them.  I know Butch's Sound Shack in Natrona Heights sells Maggie's, but maybe only 50 to 100 others in the area do.  Great folks there btw.  So direct sales is where everyone is going, or through Amazon.

RonN5

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2023, 02:35 pm »
There is no doubt that they learned a lot from selling the LRS+ and the stands on line....shipping and damage issues....customer contact issues....etc., etc.....all of which would make it easier to go to a direct sales model...especially for their smaller speakers.

For their larger speakers which are obviously big and weigh a lot...where people may want to hear them before they shell out $10-20k...where people may want help with delivery and set up...this becomes an issue.  As a dealer, would you only want to carry their high end models...maybe?

One good thing is that their speakers are pretty bullet proof and don't require a lot of after sale service because someone blew something up...and are dealers really qualified to do this anyway?

So, what next...I think they will be selling more direct online...which is how younger people buy things these days....so all they need is more social media presence and endorsements and they should have another good 50 years.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2023, 04:54 pm »
They've done direct sales on the 1.7s before and then all those years with the MMGs.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the deal is with the new speakers, especially the $4000 price hike between the 2.7i and the 2.7x.
Also, is this list price or retail where you haggle?

RonN5

« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2023, 07:04 pm »
One thing we can say for sure....Magnepan uses mystery as a marketing tool.   :icon_lol:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2023, 11:07 pm »
What's behind the curtain?
I dunno, a Bose Wave Radio? 

Perhaps we'll see a revised line up before too long.

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2023, 05:49 am »
I see the page has been updated.  No “Pre Order” button, but there is an option to pay in installments.  It sure makes it look like Magnepan may be selling direct.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 4 Dec 2023, 09:53 am »
They're only showing prices on the little stuff (LRS+, stands).
All will be made clear by Summer 2027...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2023, 12:46 pm »
I dont understand how this manufacturer still in the business, since the 1980s I see they have the same product:
86dB and 4ohms (3 ohms most of the range) presence of a Crossover more 2 protection Fuses and more midrange and tweeter attenuators. This will require a monster huge amp stable at 2 ohms impedance for safe operation.

If they don't know how to improve the product should talk to someone who knows how to do like Bob Carver or Maggie could licence the great sound Carver Amazing Ribbon 48 or 60 inches tall, 88dB, 8ohms, range 200 to 40kHz as Gilmore Audio do in the past, Amazing dont needed a Crossover in 1992($2400 48inches). Too bad they are stagnant for so long.

RonN5

« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2023, 03:55 pm »
FullRangeMan

I have a buddy with the 3.7i....we have driven them with great success and sound with the Lyngdorf 2170 (digital class d?), Parasound A21, Orchard Audio Stereo Ultra (GanF class d), Sanders Stereo Magtech....all had no problem, all sounded great, albeit a little different from each other.  Somehow, I think Magnepan likes the reputation of needing big amps....so that people won't try them with $500 receivers.

Also, I think they have been quietly updating crossovers, tuning buttons, assembly techniques....without ever mentioning it because they really don't want to help the competition.

Now that Jim Winey has retired, it seems like they have new models in the works....but in the Magnepan way, they are slow to update.

In my own case, I have the LRS+ and have had zero issue driving them with a Wells Majestic and with a Pass XA-25

At any rate, I don't think monster amps are mandatory...but those who have Magnepans and have monster amps seem happy with the combination...but so did people driving them with Cherry Amps...and now with Orchard Audio Amps.

I guess one more thought...some say there is a Magnepan sound...and if that is so, it would seem that Magnepan doesn't want to stray to far from that sound....reminds me of Ohm...another company that has lasted 50 years.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2023, 04:27 pm »
The products have certainly been improved over the years, it's just the basic architecture that has stayed the same.
They may look like the older models but they certainly don't sound that way.

Saturn94

« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2023, 04:56 pm »
They're only showing prices on the little stuff (LRS+, stands).
All will be made clear by Summer 2027...

In time for the release of the new woofer system in 2030.  :lol:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 4 Dec 2023, 05:11 pm »
FullRangeMan

I have a buddy with the 3.7i....we have driven them with great success and sound with the Lyngdorf 2170 (digital class d?), Parasound A21, Orchard Audio Stereo Ultra (GanF class d), Sanders Stereo Magtech....all had no problem, all sounded great, albeit a little different from each other.  Somehow, I think Magnepan likes the reputation of needing big amps....so that people won't try them with $500 receivers.

The truth of the matter is that Maggies do sound better with a high current, high capacitance, high power amp.  You can use a $500 receiver to drive them, but you will shut it down at loud volumes on dynamic passages.  I have tried various receivers with my 1.6's and original MMG's.  They all went into protection mode at moderately loud volumes.  Even my Adcom GFR-700 AVR that cost $1500 (225wpc) 20 years ago went into protection mode at least 3 times with my MMG's.

Chops

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2023, 04:20 pm »
I know one thing, you gotta be smoking that wacky weed if you're willing to pay those "X" prices over the normal prices, even if you already own the Maggies and want to send them in for the "X" upgrades.

The same if not better performance can be had for pennies on the dollar getting one of Danny Richie's upgrade kits over at GR-Research. In fact, considering Danny's vast knowledge and experience over the many years of redesigning and tweaking crossovers for various high-end loudspeaker manufacturers, I'm willing to bet there's been a lot more engineering and tweaking that's gone into his upgrades than Magnepan's own upgrades, and thus more gains/improvements from Danny's upgrades.

If Magnepan wants to keep coming out with new updated models every few years like they always have, that's fine. But they can keep those overpriced "X" upgraded ones. I'll get my upgrades from Danny.

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2023, 06:04 pm »
I know one thing, you gotta be smoking that wacky weed if you're willing to pay those "X" prices over the normal prices, even if you already own the Maggies and want to send them in for the "X" upgrades.

The same if not better performance can be had for pennies on the dollar getting one of Danny Richie's upgrade kits over at GR-Research. In fact, considering Danny's vast knowledge and experience over the many years of redesigning and tweaking crossovers for various high-end loudspeaker manufacturers, I'm willing to bet there's been a lot more engineering and tweaking that's gone into his upgrades than Magnepan's own upgrades, and thus more gains/improvements from Danny's upgrades.

If Magnepan wants to keep coming out with new updated models every few years like they always have, that's fine. But they can keep those overpriced "X" upgraded ones. I'll get my upgrades from Danny.

“X” prices?  :scratch:

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2023, 09:58 pm »
The 1.7X is $4000 more than the 1.7i exc.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2023, 11:49 pm »
Are you talking about this new 2.7 model which made a brief appearance at the Capitol Audio Show?
Not 1.7, 2.7.
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-2023-capitol-audio-fest-alan-taffel/

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2023, 02:54 am »
Yes. 2.7. I couldn’t find the link to that article. Thanks!

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2023, 01:04 pm »
Until I find another speaker that sounds better to my ears and offers better value than Maggies, I'll stick with them.

Trying to think of successful speaker manufacturers who DON'T update their products incrementally as new engineering and manufacturing processes allow for significant improvements, and I'm having a hard time coming up with that list. (I admit that I'm not an expert on this, because once I landed with Maggies I haven't felt the need to do any speaker shopping.)

Magnepan makes models that sell from around $1,000 up to the top of the line at (I believe) around $27,000, every one of them offering great value at their respective price points according to reviewers.

As a side note, years ago I drove both my MMG's and 3.6R's with a 45wpc conrad-johnson CAV-50 with ZERO problems - nothing shut down and I didn't blow fuses (and best of all - the sound was GLORIOUS).