Evo dac filter setting

rird

Evo dac filter setting
« on: 4 Mar 2020, 03:17 pm »
Which is your favorite filter setting on Evolution dac and why?

rustydoglim

• Facilitator
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: Evo dac filter setting
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2020, 11:53 am »
I suggest don't change the setting. It came from the DAC chip, but the settings don't seem to affect the sound.

rird

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2020, 01:47 pm »
I also don't note much changing filter. My Wadia 381 was clearly different changing filters.
I run minimum phase slow now. Digital cables proves a difference and so does isolation platforms and feets.

rird

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2020, 04:14 pm »
I don't remember the original filter setting!?

I have had my girlfriend here to listen and listen more.
She is a schooled singer and have a very very good ear and sense.

Anyway, we played around with filter settings but we agreed, we couldn't note anything we could pick out in an A/B, when comparing the different filter settings.

What is more strange is when we used upsampling. I have a high degree resolving AES/EBU which clearly cuts above the HDMI cables i have here.
But on all upsampling there is an unnatural sting noted with AQ Raven (previously Audioquest best AES/EBU)
Some say it's better than Nordost Valhalla AES/EBU.
Anyway, if i set both dac and CDT 8 Pro at upsampling off, it yields a more natural sound.
I also have two settings on my Barefoot Sound MM27.
I have always used linear with my former Wadia 381. Now i have tried a less sharp.
Even with the MM27 softer setting and brickwall filter and no upsampling, i think i the top end is close to better.

The Nuprime combo is idiosyncratic talking leading edge detail.

Some may say i should remove the Raven cable, but thing is, the preciseness is like an unwanted addiction!
Simply put, the other cables (HDMI) has some slight sheen of the leading edge detail.

I feel am getting obsessed with this even though i wish i wasn't.

Maybe i should need to fart out the additional money for Nuprime amg pra.

rird

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2020, 10:53 am »
In response to my own findings, EVO dac in conjunction with Barefoot Sound MM27, extensive apparatus decoupling, treated room (flutter echo, bass nodes and specific reduction of 40Hz node) and a digital cable laying bare possibly too much, i wanted to find a solution or something that took some edge/ harshness off the sound.
Changing digital cable proves a softer/ smoother sound is ofocurse possible, but you also miss addictive microdetail (a sense of 3D).
So, one idea is to go for AMG PRA, another route is to try the DIY OP-amp change in EVO dac.
As suggested by Nuprime i inserted the 3 MUSE OP-amps.
So far the dac has been playing about 24-30 hours with the new OP amps and even though i use my AQ Raven cable, i find that the leading edges are softer,( a slight roundness if you prefer) and even so, not a same in your face when i do increase the level/ volume.
I would say, if you have a very detailed sound but it's tending to cause some fatigue, this is an update very worth doing.

sresener

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2020, 03:57 am »
So your using actively powered Barefoot Sound MM27,s?

You may be trying to fix something you can't as it could be your speakers, the built in amplifiers or there built in eq your not happy with.

I have tried different cables and the change in sound is subtle (if any), I have tried different dacs and pre-amps and that was more noticeable but by far the biggest change in my system was changing the speakers. (this was a night and day difference)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyaN5_t9VDs

rird

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2020, 09:29 am »
Correct, i use active MM 27 and I like the speakers, they sound superb with Wadia 381.
However, i have been told the Gen2 is more forward sounding. Never heard them myself, i have Gen 1 revision 5.
Which is the last update before Gen2.
I also like PMC IB2, but these would cost rather much more going active or with separate power amp(s).

Digital cables is quite a noticeable difference.
I know i should consider a pre-amp, but that's a rather huge cost.
I want something that boost dynamics, better controll and P.R.A.T.
I'm also certain we'll see Evolution series pre in due time

eosdigic

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2020, 06:56 am »
Hello, what MUSE OP do you use?

In response to my own findings, EVO dac in conjunction with Barefoot Sound MM27, extensive apparatus decoupling, treated room (flutter echo, bass nodes and specific reduction of 40Hz node) and a digital cable laying bare possibly too much, i wanted to find a solution or something that took some edge/ harshness off the sound.
Changing digital cable proves a softer/ smoother sound is ofocurse possible, but you also miss addictive microdetail (a sense of 3D).
So, one idea is to go for AMG PRA, another route is to try the DIY OP-amp change in EVO dac.
As suggested by Nuprime i inserted the 3 MUSE OP-amps.
So far the dac has been playing about 24-30 hours with the new OP amps and even though i use my AQ Raven cable, i find that the leading edges are softer,( a slight roundness if you prefer) and even so, not a same in your face when i do increase the level/ volume.
I would say, if you have a very detailed sound but it's tending to cause some fatigue, this is an update very worth doing.