DAC with CD changer?

mca

DAC with CD changer?
« on: 7 Apr 2004, 04:17 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has tried an outboard DAC with a CD changer. I am looking at getting a Pioneer or Sony 301 disk changer and hope mate it up with something like the Scott Nixon Tubedac to improve the sound.

warnerwh

DAC with CD changer?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2004, 02:39 am »
Adding an outboard dac on a changer will most likely be a significant improvement. I use a sony changer with a CIA dac. The inexpensive CIA dac is far superior to the dac in the Sony.  Nothing wrong with what you want to do.  I'm too lazy to get up anymore to change a cd everytime too.

tvr2500m

DAC with a changer - you bet; a DAC with just about anything
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2004, 11:29 pm »
Yes, a DAC with a changer is a great idea.  I also have a Channel Islands set up that gets used on occasion with a Marantz multiformat changer.  Dusty's DAC is MUCH better than the stock DACs in the Marantz.

It's been my experience that a good external DAC can outperform the DACs of many a one box player.  The only challenge is the jitter introduced by the cabling, but this is taken care of these days by good jitter filters, like the little Monarchy.

I believe that regardless of format, the final sonic product has to do with the analog stages of any audio system.  Comparing the economics and effort between most seperate DACs and most on-board DACs, the separate DACs are making fewer compromises and allowing for greater optimization than an on-board DAC.  Thats at least a large part of why in electronics separates, generally, out perform integrated units.

Some of the cost is simply the cabinetry, but not all of it.  There's much more cost/effort in a good simple external DAC like a CIA, Scott Nixon, etc., than a manufacturer can afford to put in a one-box player that might cost $1K or more.

I also believe that transports provide a much smaller contribution to the audio chain than the DACs.  In my reference system I've tried everything from cheapies to Stereophile Class A transports and I don't know that I can here a difference.  But changing DACs?  Instant difference.

- SJ

mca

DAC with CD changer?
« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2004, 01:14 am »
Thanks for the replies, it's good to know the the sound of a stock changer can be improved with a pretty small investment. Sounds like I'm going to have to add the CIA DAC to my list to have a listen to. The price is certianly right  :D