[b]"Modified by Van Alstine" stickers[/b]

Flatlander

« on: 13 Apr 2005, 01:52 pm »
Has anyone seen those clear vinyl stickers that say 'Modified by Van Alstine'? I saw one on an SCA-50 on ebay.

Do those have anything to do with Frank Van Alstine, or is it some other guy named Van Alstine who "modifies" equipment by slapping that sticker on it?

avahifi

« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2005, 05:45 pm »
This is an antique sticker of ours from old Dyna equipment we worked on more than 30 years ago.  It has no revelence to any of our modern products.

Frank Van Alstine

Zheeeem

Ouch!
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2005, 11:53 pm »
Jeeeeez, Frank.  I still own one of your old PAT-5s with that little sticker on the front.  You're making me feel old.

By the way, the T7/350 combo is very nice.  I've been meaning to send you a note, but moving back to the states has been, well, more than we were expecting.

Jim Willis

MGDeWulf

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2005, 01:03 am »
Hi Zhe...m:

Always nice to see a friendly face.  Three issue have been sent to you.  Enjoy.   :D

Marty

Zheeeem

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2005, 02:30 pm »
So Marty, when are you going to review some Van Alstine stuff?

I got started with AVA stuff (as Frank so kindly noted) some 30+ years ago with something called (IIRC) a "FET-5 Mark II" which was basically a PAT-5 with matched parts.  (Frank can correct me on this.)  It got a good review in TAS, and an audio-store buddy was selling his.  I liked it.  I got started reading Audio Basics and trying some of Frank's tweaks.  Then I basically established a pattern of making Hafler kits and running upgrades through Van Alstine every so often.  It's been pretty cost effective and the sound is good to great.

I have always found it strange that Frank's stuff, which has a dedicated cult following and a 30+ year history gets so few reviews.  It is stranger still because every review I've seen to date has been positive.

Thanks for the issues.  I'm camped out next to my mailbox waiting for them.

Jim

avahifi_lj

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2005, 02:40 pm »
Hi Jim:

We can take your PAT-5 and upgrade it with the latest OmegaStar circuits -- that will make you feel young again  :D

Larry

Zheeeem

Thanks, but...
« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2005, 02:49 pm »
I bought a pair of maggie MMGs and gave the PAT-5 and my old MOSFET 250 amp and Omega II (?) CDP to my wife for a HT setup.  I don't actually recall what upgrade versions any of these are (but I'm sure that's in your records).  It's fine for her.

I'm running a junky HK CDP --> Omega III DAC --> T7 --> 350 EXR --> biro L/1 and REL Strata III.  It doesn't make me feel young.  But it's really nice to have Sinatra in the room with me.

You guys sold my Omega amp/pre for me a few months ago...

skrivis

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2005, 02:58 pm »
Quote from: MGDeWulf
Hi Zhe...m:

Always nice to see a friendly face.  Three issue have been sent to you.  Enjoy.   :D

Marty

I ordered some issues recently. Do I get a personal notification too? :)

skrivis

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2005, 03:11 pm »
Quote from: Zheeeem

I have always found it strange that Frank's stuff, which has a dedicated cult following and a 30+ year history gets so few reviews. It is stranger still because every review I've seen to date has been positive.

If I'm a reviewer, reviewing the latest ultra-megabuck gear tells people I'm a force to be reckoned with. Price = status. Add in exclusivity too.

So once I get done with that, then I have to also review some of the stuff from well-known names to show I can review as well as everyone else, and also because people expect it.

What time, energy, and space gets left over can go to other brands, and that probably isn't much.

It's a bit like any journalism. If I have the pull, I can do a report on my interview with the President or other head of state. Or I can do my interview with Joe Dokes who runs the local bowling alley. Joe may have much more to say, and be more intelligent and lucid than the President, but my career sure will go farther if I go with the Pres. More people will probably read, watch, whatever if I do the Pres. too.

Not all audio reviewers are like this, but you can bet that some are.

skrivis

Re: Thanks, but...
« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2005, 03:17 pm »
Quote from: Zheeeem
I bought a pair of maggie MMGs and gave the PAT-5 and my old MOSFET 250 amp and Omega II (?) CDP to my wife for a HT setup.  I don't actually recall what upgrade versions any of these are (but I'm sure that's in your records).  It's fine for her.

I'm running a junky HK CDP --> Omega III DAC --> T7 --> 350 EXR --> biro L/1 and REL Strata III.  It doesn't make me feel young.  But it's really nice to have Sinatra in the room with me.

You guys sold my Omega amp/pre for me a few months ago...

How are those biro speakers? I've never quite been convinced that they're any good, but that's just me. (I didn't like the B&W stuff either.) :) Perhaps just a difference in philosophy.

Anyway, I was just curious to see what you think of them.

Zheeeem

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2005, 04:37 pm »
How are those biro speakers? I've never quite been convinced that they're any good, but that's just me. (I didn't like the B&W stuff either.) icon_smile.gif Perhaps just a difference in philosophy.

Anyway, I was just curious to see what you think of them.

I was running an old pair of Tympani 1(u)s which finally gave up the ghost.  I was living in France at the time, so shipping them back for repair was impossible.  A friend had mail privileges at the US mission, and each biro was under the weight limit.  Which explains why I bought them.

I like them.  Honestly, it is a simple design well executed and I haven't heard anything dramatically better in the "bookshelf" range.  With the ports plugged and coupled with a good sub, they really are quite nice.  (Plus I have a small listening room, so I'm not going to go with anything much bigger, in any event.)  When you consider the price, they are really good.

At some point I'm likely to upgrade.  But my house is currently under (self) renovation.  So the time's not right.

In the price range, this and the MG 1.6 would probably be my two top choices.  Both have limitations, which is normal for a $1,500/pr speaker.