Strong magnet's effect on small earphones

djklmnop

Strong magnet's effect on small earphones
« on: 5 May 2009, 02:09 am »
I have two sets of identical earphones. One I use for my ride to work on the trolley, the other I use in my laptop bag.. along with my laptop bag I also have a tv tuner with an external antenna which at the base has a huge magnet to attach to any metal surface.  Well, one day I changed out the earphones and when I listened to it, it sounded weak and almost constipated.  No full bass, just flattened out sound.  I really think the magnet got too close to it.  Does anyone know if this is the reason? or how I can fix it?  I've gone through two earphones of the same model and at first I thought I got a lemon, but now I think it's the strong magnet.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: Strong magnet's effect on small earphones
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2009, 02:54 am »
There's one i don't have a clue on  :lol:  :duh:

Ed

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2009, 02:43 pm »
I have two sets of identical earphones. One I use for my ride to work on the trolley, the other I use in my laptop bag.. along with my laptop bag I also have a tv tuner with an external antenna which at the base has a huge magnet to attach to any metal surface.  Well, one day I changed out the earphones and when I listened to it, it sounded weak and almost constipated.  No full bass, just flattened out sound.  I really think the magnet got too close to it.  Does anyone know if this is the reason? or how I can fix it?  I've gone through two earphones of the same model and at first I thought I got a lemon, but now I think it's the strong magnet.

It's certainly possible that the magnet in the antenna damaged your IEMs. However, it may only be temporary. Let that set sit for a few weeks and try them again. Make sure you keep them away from any other strong magnets.

RJ

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2009, 03:07 pm »
I would be careful of locating a strong magnet too close to my hard drive.

Ron

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2009, 03:54 am »
Thats one i hadn't thought about in his post and i dont have any idea how much magnetic shealding a labtop has. but i would be careful with it.

I would be careful of locating a strong magnet too close to my hard drive.

Ron

Watson

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2009, 03:56 am »
I've had what I suspect was the same thing happen to me. (But it's difficult to tell for sure with earbuds because it could also be sweat, water, or clogging from earwax.)