Digital Amps with VMPS speakers

azryan

« Reply #20 on: 2 Oct 2003, 05:34 pm »
"-Rup: Being a new technology I suspect the digital amps are still under development so to speak.-"

Spectron amps have been out for many years. TacT Audio like over 10 I think, with refinements I'm sure all the time.

THese systems ain't that new.
And a 'new' model analog amp is often of a fairly new design so that's not any better.

"-Therefore they will no doubt leapfrog each other and the technology will mature."

They keep making brand new SS and Tube amps too.

"-Until then the old fashioned technology will have to do."

That's fine. Your choice.

"-If the digital amps were really that much better than analog amps then people would be moving to them in droves by now as they've been out for a couple of years yet I keep seeing them for sale.-"

You can't just slap a power supply on them and Bam perfect sound. I'm no E.E. but many designers of these digital amps have noted that it's almost a whole 'nother animal and it takes a lot to get the desired result.
but those results have a gotten a lot of rave reviews from posters, mags, etc..

Certainly not 'hype', nor 'good idea, that's far from ready for prime time'.

"-I'm just too conservative I guess."

Guess so. You might see if you can actually try one. Personal bias... try Acoustic Reality's eAR amps.
You may not love it, but you'd have to lie to say it's not that good.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: 2 Oct 2003, 08:47 pm »
"If the digital amps were really that much better than analog amps then people would be moving to them in droves by now as they've been out for a couple of years yet I keep seeing them for sale.-"

Good one! :lol:   Yeah, hardcore gearheads never just sell something to try something else!  I see VMPS speakers and Theta Dreadnaughts for sale too, do they suck? :wink:  I've never thought that seeing Stratos amps for sale meant they arent' any good.

warnerwh

« Reply #22 on: 2 Oct 2003, 11:22 pm »
Good one!  Yeah, hardcore gearheads never just sell something to try something else!
Good Point Rob. It's just that the way people are talking about them they make the digital amps seem like they are a whole world above analog amps.  I was tending toward the Carver until I heard about the parts quality and was willing to give it a shot.  For less than a grand it seemed to good to be true for a new amp putting out 300wpc.  Not to mention it's ugly in my book but I would have been happy if it worked well and was made well.  I've heard the Ear amp and certainly could find no significant fault, if any.  This was at a friends house on his system though and it was playing through RM 40's which are of course quite revealing.  I'd have to hear one through my system to judge.  The digital technology is coming but like I said I'd rather have analog until the engineering has further matured.  It seems there are many improvements already with the several newer chips.  I hear Audio Research is coming out with an amp using digital technology. Maybe then I'll give it a shot.  This technology is still in it's infancy in my opinion.

fredgarvin

amp
« Reply #23 on: 3 Oct 2003, 06:14 am »
Wasn't Norh coming out with a digital switching amp? Oh.....never mind.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 3 Oct 2003, 01:21 pm »
Only the P/S was digital switching.  The LeAmp II is/was to a be a regular A/B analog amp.

Enrico

« Reply #25 on: 4 Oct 2003, 10:30 pm »
I've got a modified PS Audio HCA2 and a pair of 626's with TRT, FST and soundcoat. The sound is startlingly real, with excellent midbass and transparency. The HCA2 had some capacitors replaced with Black Gates and the output wiring replaced with solid silver wiring.

I have not auditioned any traditional top-flight solid state amps in my system, but the HCA2 simply kills what I was using before (Marantz 9200). In the next few months I plan to AB the HCA2 with something like a Pass, Gamut or Krell.

wshuff

« Reply #26 on: 5 Oct 2003, 01:41 am »
Who performed those modifications on the PS Audio?

dvican

just heard digital on my set!
« Reply #27 on: 5 Oct 2003, 07:18 pm »
kevin (from solar hi-fi) stopped by my house yesterday and brought his digital amp prototype to see what it can do. it definitely can play some music. the most outstanding character this amp had in tandem with my RM40-TRT was the integration of high end extension/detail with the smooth rich midrange (i like in my own setup so much) and low end control. we didn't have time to fiddle with the settings on the speakers too much... it still creamed my old setup w/o hesitation.

i am convincing kevin to make monos for me at the moment

david
(rm40-carySLM100/marantzMA6100 monos-HTcables-DWmoded P3A/pioneerDV333)

Enrico

« Reply #28 on: 5 Oct 2003, 09:57 pm »
Quote from: wshuff
Who performed those modifications on the PS Audio?

A friend of mine who is handy with electronics (I'm a non-DIYer).

wshuff

« Reply #29 on: 5 Oct 2003, 10:10 pm »
Thanks Enrico.  I'm using a Sherbourn 5/1500 with my stock cap, spiral tweeter 626Rs, but I'm really intriqued by these digital amps.  Your's sounds cool.  I look forward to reading what you think when you get an opportunity to demo some other amps.

Enrico

« Reply #30 on: 6 Oct 2003, 04:35 am »
Here's a URL with details on the mod I had done to my HCA2 amp:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=psaudio&n=5166&

I've heard that this amp does not deliver a lot of current despite having a good power rating (150 wpc). That's one reason I'm planning to try to compare it to some regular solid state amps. I'll try to pick one that does deliver lots of current, to see what difference I hear with the 626s.

jonbee

I've used both a BelCanto EVO 200.2 and a modded PS HCA2...
« Reply #31 on: 9 Oct 2003, 02:52 am »
(the HCA2 has had the coupling caps replaced with Black Gates) with my Auricapped 626Rs. I replaced a CJ 2300A w/ the EVO, and felt it was smoother and easier on the ears, but that the mids were recessed and had a "cool" overall character. It also didn't sound as good when you pushed the volume up. The HCA2 pushed the mids out in a more balanced way, and actually was better in fine details and dynamics. It also sounded just as good loud. I'm very pleased with the sound of the HCA2. It disappears to a greater degree than any amp I've owned, and lets the music out of the 626s in a very engaging, easy, yet detailed and dynamic way. The BG caps helped the transparency some; well worth the $ with this amp.  BTW, I always use a powered sub; I was using a Legacy Impact but recently went to a VMPS NOS with a Hypex HS200 amp(BIG SMILE!). In my medium sized room I find it easier to control the bass with a powered sub than with big speakers that I can't reposition very effectively. That also makes the bottom end of the amp less of an issue. It seems to have plenty of guts, but I haven't really given it much of a test with my setup.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #32 on: 9 Oct 2003, 03:25 am »
jonbee, welcome to the world of passive radiator tuning - once you get it dialed in and positioned, I don't think you will find a better sub for music than the New Original.  Those things are amazing, even ignoring their ridiculously low price.

Enrico

« Reply #33 on: 9 Oct 2003, 04:37 am »
jonbee, thank you for your post. The HCA2 seems to be a bit controversial but the proof is always in the pudding. I have heard from many sources, and now from you, that controlling bass is easier with a separate sub and smaller speakers. This makes me glad that I've gone with the 626s.