Apocalypto

PhilNYC

Apocalypto
« on: 29 Dec 2006, 03:13 pm »
Saw this the other night and enjoyed it very much.  A lot less "National Geographic" than I thought it was going to be...you could easily imagine the story and characters set in a contemporary and urban environment.  While it was "beautifully shot", it isn't a film that spends a ton of time on wide panoramic shots of the scenery...and even though it is 2 1/2 hours, it is riveting enough that I didn't look to my watch even once...

fredgarvin

Re: Apocalypto
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:37 pm »
I liked it a lot as well, as you said, the characters were very believable rather than portrayed as historical icons. It is basically an action flick and it works well in that vein. A simple story with riveting action. I had hoped for more in the story about the Maya, such as the religion/astronomy/King link-up with the sacrificial shedding of blood but you don't get that here. You do get a good action flick with a fair amount of bloodshed. I thought the ending was a little weak, but getting there was fun. All in all a good film. :thumb:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2006, 12:50 am »
I enjoyed this movie as well, forget what crazy press you may read and check this one out. My wife set me up good, stating that the people in the movie were not actors but ancestors of Mayan  peoples still residing in a small community.  I don't keep up with the Hollywood stuff, so i believed her and thought it was some super authentic deal Gibson had embarked on.

With the notion, I was all wrapped up in these characters and stunning by their "natural portrayal" and just kept saying "an these people are transcending."  I was in deep and the movie just went to near epic proportions with me thinking this way.

Now I was taken, which was easy because when I go to the cinema I drop my judgement at the door and try to really get what the film is conveying and try to appreciate all that I can about it.  Unless it's really, really bad.  I just don't know why people watch movies (entertainment) to judge and criticize at every chance.

Good film and far beyond a niche piece IMO.

Also I went with my wife to see Dreamgirls and enjoyed it alot.  Jennifer Hudson played the role she was born to play and should win whatever award she is nominated for.  Her performance ranks among the best I've ever seen, ever (think Jamie Fox: Ray.)  And this is from a first time actor, stunning, but this was a character that was very much (within) her.

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2006, 02:04 am »
Launche, another film of the genre that I think you would enjoy, if you have seen it, my pardon, is The Black Robe. Set in the early fur-trader, missionary incursions in the Huron nations. A little more plotting to the story with gritty realism and perhaps more complexity in thought.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2006, 03:14 am »
Thanks Fred,

I'll put that one on my list.

jermmd

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2007, 09:42 pm »
I just watched this DVD last night. My wife and I both really enjoyed it. The photography was excellent and the DVD transfer is the best that I've seen. There were scenes that were as lifelike as I've seen and that includes HD sources. It was really a startlingly good picture.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2007, 09:52 pm »
Is this on the "old" Panny or new JVC?  ;-)  How violent was this?  Is it worthwhile to buy or rent?  I saw this in BJ's the other day and was thinking of buying it, but I was afraid it would be a one-time viewing.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2007, 10:10 pm »
Is this on the "old" Panny or new JVC?  ;-)  How violent was this?  Is it worthwhile to buy or rent?  I saw this in BJ's the other day and was thinking of buying it, but I was afraid it would be a one-time viewing.

I just watched this a few weeks ago and I really liked it.   :thumb:

All of the above comments do a good job capturing my thoughts, and I am glad I bought it. 

I will certainly want to watch this again (especially once I get the dedicated HT finally setup).

George

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2007, 10:20 pm »
Thanks, George.  I'll pick it up then.

jermmd

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2007, 01:32 am »
I'm still using the Panny. I'm going to hold off upgrading my projector for now. I've been spending too much money lately and I'm perfectly happy with the Panny.

And the movie is pretty fierce. Sometimes the scenes are unnecessarily graphic. But not so bad that I wouldn't recommend it.

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2007, 12:59 pm »
Darn!  I was hoping to get the Panny for a song!  ;-)  I'm still deciding on getting a projector.  It'll happen one of these days, but right now my expenses are too high (i.e., baby crib, baby carriers, getting the bedrooms painted, installing closet organizers to maximize the tiny amount of space in these closets, the list goes on and on....).  I'll still likely pick up the DVD, as I think it should be an interesting show. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2007, 01:12 pm »
I'm still using the Panny. I'm going to hold off upgrading my projector for now. I've been spending too much money lately and I'm perfectly happy with the Panny.

And the movie is pretty fierce. Sometimes the scenes are unnecessarily graphic. But not so bad that I wouldn't recommend it.

Well life was pretty graphic and violent back then.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2007, 03:10 pm »
The only reason I asked is that most times I cannot watch graphically violent films.  For instance, Saving Private Ryan.  I bought the DVD because people raved about this movie, but the opening scenes are simply too much for me.  I realize that that's the way it was, and I think they've done a valuable service by not sugar-coating this material.  However, I've never watched this movie again and likely never will.  Similarly, I've never made it through Kill Bill for the same reason (even though I know Kill Bill is over the top). 

BobM

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2007, 03:20 pm »
I agree. Mel did a good job on this one. The sets were awesome, but I wish he would have delved a little more into the Myan reason for such brutality. The acting and portrayal of the times by the people involved was very good, I thought. Maybe Hollywood doesn't have to pay beacoup $$$ for star power - they just have to hire people who believe in the story. Do you think that would translate into lower movie ticket prices?

Enjoy,
Bob

Whitese

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2007, 04:37 pm »
I rented it last week and was very impressed....I enjoyed the extra features because they explain why they ended up shooting where they did...he wanted lush forest, but one where you could see more than closeup distance...very interesting.

I thought it was one of the better made movies in a long long time....I kinda want Mel to do a remake of Blade Runner...dont know why.

lcrim

« Reply #15 on: 7 Jun 2007, 05:09 pm »
I rented it from Netflix, still have it actually because it continues to pop into my mind unbidden.  I understand that until fairly recently in historical terms, the human condition was really quite brutal.  The fact that the Mayans didn't slaughter the children as well seemed to me to be a recognition of the unsaleability of such an event on screen.  Hitchcock always preached that such goings on hurt a film at the box office.  I don't think I could have watched it but it seemed unrealistic.  In any event, it is cinema not history and as such I was pretty affected by it.  In order to survive you had to be awfully tough.  Their context for humor was even quite nasty.  Sticks and stones not words. 
Mel is a complicated, not necessarily likeable guy.  Based on Apocalypto, he's a talented film maker IMO.

Ears

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2007, 02:13 pm »
I never saw this in theaters...but just watched the Blu ray....and WOW...reference HD with uncompressed audio.....and the movie was better than I thought also.  :)