Which Metal artists that have excellent sound quality recordings?

Jon L

Re: Metal artists that have excellent sound quality.
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2023, 09:03 pm »
IMO the greatest benefit of large streaming services is the remastered high resolution metal albums that sounded meh when they first came out.  I hate bad screaming, but there IS such a thing as good screaming :D
For those interested, I can recommend these, from Amazon HD in this case.

Dio "Holy Diver" "Last in Line" 24/96kHz
Anthrax "Antisocial" 24/96khz
Kix "Don't close your eyes" 24/192khz
Metallica "Kill'em All" album 24/96
Metallica "Ride the lightening" album 24/96
Metallica "Master of Puppets" album 24/96
Iron Maiden "Hallowed be thy name" 24/96
Whitesnake "Unzipped(Live in Tokyo)" album 24/96

GregC

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2023, 11:29 pm »
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Scorpions - Fly to the Rainbow

Huck

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2023, 02:49 am »
Can someone check my hearing,or maybe it's my 'music sense',or whatever.
I listened(streamed) to Ozzy's new title "Patient #9" in Ultra HD (Amazon Unlimited) just now and I am a little disappointed in the sound quality,so I thought someone here would be kind enough and give me a "Sound Quality" score from 1-10.I need to find out if it's me,my stereo or something else?!
I give it a sound quality score of 5/10...maybe 5.5. Thanks,Huck :popcorn:
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2023, 12:23 pm by Huck »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2023, 02:56 am »
It was recorded how ?
Usually this kind of rock are recorded in PCM 24/44 with commercial grade mikes.
PCM 24/88 - 96 are so so.
PCM 24/192 would be great sound quality.

Mag

« Reply #24 on: 15 Jan 2023, 04:06 am »
Can someone check my hearing,or maybe it's my 'music sense',or whatever.
I listened to Ozzy's new title "Patient #9" in Ultra HD just now and I am a little disappointed in the sound quality,so I thought someone here would be kind enough and give me a "Sound Quality" score from 1-10.I need to find out if it's me,my stereo or something else?!
I give it a sound quality score of 5/10...maybe 5.5. Thanks,Huck :popcorn:

Listening to it on the Main Rig, bass is heavy, seems transparent, but it is also coming through quite loud and I have the volume slightly below my normal volume setting. So there is probably compression playing this loud. I don't know, I'll rate it 8/10. Not finding the album anything special so far.

Keep in mind if you're using Amazon, connection speed is a factor. I have Settings on Ultra, fiber optics. Also if you want dynamic range then switch Normalization to OFF.

Mag

« Reply #25 on: 15 Jan 2023, 04:41 am »
As I listen more to Patient #9 the compression is becoming more obvious, and probably high gain. So I will bump my rating back to 6/10.

Huck

« Reply #26 on: 15 Jan 2023, 11:28 am »
As I listen more to Patient #9 the compression is becoming more obvious, and probably high gain. So I will bump my rating back to 6/10.

Yeah,one good thing about streaming and that is you don't have to waste money on a 'so-so' title...I still stick to my 5/5.5.
In my experience,if the title sounds bad via streaming,most likely it will sound worse or no better on CD. Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2023, 12:39 pm by Huck »

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #27 on: 15 Jan 2023, 12:49 pm »
Metallicas Black album, Tool Lateralus, or for something specific, Tool, Jambi

Huck

« Reply #28 on: 15 Jan 2023, 01:10 pm »
I have all those on CD.Huck :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2023, 03:29 pm by Huck »

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #29 on: 15 Jan 2023, 04:26 pm »
I have all those on CD...meh!
Your definition of "SQ" must differ from mine. I've been demoing those type tracks to audiences for a while, since most metal is abysmal. Each their own.

mr_bill

When I read the title of the thread I thought ‘oxymoron’ and it also reminds of the loudness wars.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Dream Theater has a lot of well recorded metal as well.  Even some on HDTracks.

Huck

« Reply #32 on: 15 Jan 2023, 08:01 pm »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2023, 02:42 am by Huck »

Huck

« Reply #33 on: 16 Jan 2023, 02:13 pm »
I have both CD versions of Youthanasia,original and newer version and the newer version sounds better to me.
Not sure which version of Youthanasia AMZ plays,but it is very close to sounding just as good as my newer version on CD.
I will try Ozzy (stream) tonight.Thanks,Huck

I tried to listen to #9 for the second time and it still seems to be another 'good music,bad recording',which seems to be the way it is nowadays,unfortunately.Huck

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
You could also check out Polyphia or Intervals. Both are more math rock than straight forward metal (older stuff more metal focused), but they are more instrumental with only guest singers.

Huck

You could also check out Polyphia or Intervals. Both are more math rock than straight forward metal (older stuff more metal focused), but they are more instrumental with only guest singers.
Never heard of them,but will try tonight.Thanks,Huck

nlitworld

Also want to again suggest Opeth. Listening to their Sorceress album right now. So good.

Huck

Also want to again suggest Opeth. Listening to their Sorceress album right now. So good.
I will listen to Sorceress tonight.
Which other titles would you consider to best their best sounding?. I will be streaming AMZ.Thanks,Huck :thumb:

nlitworld

I will listen to Sorceress tonight.
Which other titles would you consider to best their best sounding?. I will be streaming AMZ.Thanks,Huck :thumb:

Damnation is definitely a softer album (melodic sound and acoustic mostly) but SUPER well recorded and one of my deserted island pics. Sorceress and In Caude Venenum flirt the soft/heavy fine line. Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park are my favorites and balance more on the heavy swedish metal sound with phenomenal singing sections but would violate your no growling policy.

Huck

Damnation is definitely a softer album (melodic sound and acoustic mostly) but SUPER well recorded and one of my deserted island pics. Sorceress and In Caude Venenum flirt the soft/heavy fine line. Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park are my favorites and balance more on the heavy swedish metal sound with phenomenal singing sections but would violate your no growling policy.

I have all them in my playlist for tonight.I don't mind a little growling as long as it's not all the way through,then no.Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2023, 12:10 pm by Huck »