Help First time

Ragnar71

Help First time
« on: 2 Sep 2021, 10:25 pm »
This is my first system ever, and I’m 50 so my technological expertise died with the vcr so talk to me like I’m 5 years old please

I have a integrated to a cherry Dac to an ifi zen streamer . Sounds amazing. Speakers are silverline supreme sr 17

When I’m streaming sometimes I’m getting some popping on the top end. What could be causing this? I had a bitch of a time getting my XLR’s right , if they were crossed could that cause it? Or maybe some wires laying near other wires? Any help is appreciated

Mike-48

Re: Help First time
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2021, 12:02 am »
I have a integrated to a cherry Dac to an ifi zen streamer. Sounds amazing. Speakers are silverline supreme sr 17

When I’m streaming sometimes I’m getting some popping on the top end. What could be causing this? I had a bitch of a time getting my XLR’s right , if they were crossed could that cause it? Or maybe some wires laying near other wires? Any help is appreciated
OK, First, I hope you mean an iFi streamer running to a Cherry DAC running to an integrated amp (running to your speakers). Not the other way around.

I have been streaming for 10 yrs and not yet heard any "popping," but maybe if you say more, I'll think of something -- or someone else will. Can you describe it more fully and say more about when it occurs? Also, when you say "streaming," do you mean playing music from a streaming service (as opposed to streaming your own library of music files)? If so, which service do you use? How is it connected to the iFi Zen Streamer? Ethernet (wires) or WiFi?

Also, when you had a hard time getting your XLR's right, do you mean you assembled the cables yourself? What pieces of equipment are they connecting?

I hope that more info will help the problem "click" (not pop!) to me or someone else reading.

P.S. I hear those Cherry DACs (DAC DACs?) are really good.

DannyBadorine

Re: Help First time
« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2021, 01:19 pm »
This is my first system ever, and I’m 50 so my technological expertise died with the vcr so talk to me like I’m 5 years old please

I have a integrated to a cherry Dac to an ifi zen streamer . Sounds amazing. Speakers are silverline supreme sr 17

Slight popping sounds can indicate a clocking issue between digital devices.  Are there clock settings on the DAC and Zen Streamer?  Make sure that they are set the same.  It could be a different sample rate on one of them (44.1k, 192K, etc.).  They should be set the same.  I believe the sample rate is indicated on the front of the streamer by the LED color.  What color are you seeing?