Chord M-Scaler

Freo-1

Chord M-Scaler
« on: 17 Jan 2021, 01:22 am »
Recently picked up a Chord M-Scaler.   Talk about hi-res, the M-Scaler upscales standard CD to 705KHz with compatible Chord DACs.   The difference when using the M-Scaler is amazing.   Have tried the M-Scaler with both a Hugo-2 and Hugo-TT2.  Both sound amazing,  but the TT2 really sounds incredible with the M-Scaler at max setting.  Never thought CD could sound as good as hi-res, but CD becomes hi-res with this setup.   

The differences are major: Zero digital glare, Much deeper and wider sound stage,  time-domain that sounds correct.   You name it, it's better by a lot. 

With this setup,  CD becomes hi-res.  The key is how the M-Scaler works, as it winds up using one million taps (sample points) via FPGAs.

kernelbob

Re: Chord M-Scaler
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2021, 04:34 am »
I'm also using the Chord M-Scaler.  My DAC doesn't accept dual BNC inputs which is a requirement to get the most out of the M-Scaler.  My DAC can handle the M-Scaler's 705 or 768 KHz maximum frequency, but only via the USB input.

I've scanned the universe without success looking for an interface adapter that would convert the dual BNC data stream to USB.  I emailed Chord which responded that adding a USB output to the M-Scaler would double the price.  Personally, that would be worth it to me.  I suspect that Chord looks at the M-Scaler as a mechanism to increase sales of their DACs.  That may well be a good business decision, but I'm not willing to switch from my Lampizator Pacific DAC to a Chord Dave.

When I first auditioned the M-Scaler at a local dealer, he had a Dave DAC in house, so the M-Scaler output could be switched from 44.1 to 705.6 (16X).  I was sitting in a chair at the room's sweet spot.  When the output was switched from 44.1 to 705.6 (16x), I had an involuntary response of grabbing the chair's arms.  The sensation was similar to that of driving a car that is stopped at a light and having the car next to you start to move (drift) while the light was red.  When that happens you find that your foot has slammed on the brake pedal before you understand what's going on.

Yes the sudden increase in soundstage depth was such that I had a sense of movement.  If anyone has thoughts about the dual BNC to USB conversion issue, I'm all ears.  Even without being able to take full advantage of the higher upscaling, I find the improvement in my system to now be essential.

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2021, 05:10 am »
the m scaler is indeed an impressive piece, especially with its sister Chord dacs

doesn't work with NOS dacs though, obviously...

kernelbob

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2021, 12:04 am »
the m scaler is indeed an impressive piece, especially with its sister Chord dacs

doesn't work with NOS dacs though, obviously...

Just to be clear, an oversampling DAC isn't needed.  A DAC only needs to be able to handle higher input sample rates.  My DAC doesn't do up sampling and it could handle the highest sample rate from the M-Scaler on USB input.  Unfortunately, the M-Scaler can't output a USB data stream.  I have my M-Scaler set to output 176.4 or 192 from input rates of 44.1 or 48 which is the most that my DAC can handle on single BNC input.  The M-Scaler can output 352.8 or384 on a single BNC cable from 44.1 or 48 input.  Some DACs could handle that on a BNC input.

The improvement the M-Scaler makes isn't just higher sample rates.  It also uses algorithms to restore missing leading edge transients based on analysis of the associated waveform.  That distinguishes it from simple up samplers.  The improvement from M-Scaler output of 176.4 or 192 is definitely more subtle than the full throttle 705.6 or 768 rates, but once you're used to event moderately higher rates (and moderately corrected waveforms), listening to 44.1 or 48 is not acceptable any more.