SMSL M500 dac

Yossarian

SMSL M500 dac
« on: 31 Dec 2019, 11:17 am »
I am new to the forum but thought I would share my experience of the last 24 hours of having an SMSL M500.

First some background. (audio background is in introductions thread). I got into home cinema first but have started gravitating toward stereo more and more.  I did try a Cambridge audio DAC magic plus a while ago but could not tell a difference from my AVR Dac so I gave it back.

Recently I got a NAD T973 which reignited my love of stereo, suddenly vocals sounded more human and warmer, there was more detail in the music and the soundstage was bigger rounder and richer. I still felt like precision was missing, the room was filled with beautiful warm music but it was a little muddied or the instruments were not distinct enough.

Enter SMSL M500, I bought because I wanted to see if stereo would get better and if it didn't I would be happy to go down the headphone route.

So I got it yesterday and immediately connected it to a laptop and tidal account through USB and plugged in my one more quad drivers, immediately detail was improved from external USB DAC and mini headphone amp. Instruments were clear and better separated.

I then plugged in two RCA's and plugged them into my power AMP (pulled out L&R RCA's from AVR) and used M500 as a preamp (volume control and remote control make this very viable BTW), this goes to Dali Ikon 5 MK2.

Honestly, I was immediately amazed I played Coldplay The Scientist (Live in Buenos Aires). The soundstage was massively wider, the concert experience was so good I listened to two more tracks on the album. Instruments came into focus and were clearly separated, my lounge was alive with music :).

There was something else though that was different, the music sounded more real, the drums and voices suddenly reminded me of being in the high school band room with my friends (i didn't play, but I listened) or a live performance, the music became more visceral and more like music.

So yes really like it. not all perfect though, music if definitely brighter as well when listening to Birdy's Skinny Love Live at tabernacle the highs got a little uncomfortable where they didn't before. having said that I have absolutely no room treatment and the Dali's have ribbon tweeters which can be bright.

For me, it's a worthy tradeoff for now and other reviewers have said the DAC becomes less bright over time (not sure I believe in DAC Burn-in but I also thought all watts were equal before which I now definitely don't now Thanks NAD).

I also do want to mention that I moved from streaming music using Heos module in X4300h to power amp (using AVR Dac and endpoint ) to using separate MQA capable DAC directly into a power amp. So if it seems like I am waxing too lyrical about a $400 DAC I am, it is that good but my base was low.

HD660's are on the way so I will report on those and also if DAC gets less bright over time.