Netflix: What to watch?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #140 on: 3 Sep 2015, 10:25 pm »
Narcos is a great show :thumb: :thumb:

Half documentary and half Drug lords Gone Wrong.  Or should I say a theatrical docudrama?  It is a factual reply of the Colombian Cartel at it's start ( at least my take after four episodes.)  And the question comes up first thing. Did the CIA bring the crack to the USA to fund their campaigns?   Can ya say Ollie North :scratch:

This show will require you to pay attention as there is subtitle's for the Spanish dialog.  And there is a lot of Spanish dialog.

I mention this as you will need to check out the subtitle settings.  I found them on the PC visited website.  There are three font size's.  I used the largest (the original configuration of the show subtitle appears like you were watching a movie at home and not on a 40 by 60 screen).

I used a black letter with a yellow border as the original cream lettering over Pablo's yellow shirt would disappear.

And a 5+to Peaky Blinders and that perfect them by Nick Cave

ajzepp

« Reply #141 on: 15 Oct 2015, 05:26 am »
I love Narcos as well. Great show.

Also, there is a PBS Robin Williams special on Netflix now...also very good.

Lastly, "Gett: The Trial of Viviane Ansalem" was quite good. Completely dialogue driven. Essentially it's a courtroom hearing (series of hearings, actually) of a Jewish couple where the wife wants out but struggles to find justification for the divorce, and the husband is dead set on abiding by the Torah and not allowing the divorce. Really well done.

stlrman

« Reply #142 on: 15 Oct 2015, 11:48 am »
Nice write ups guys!! Nick Cave? Peeky Blinders will be next up.
I will check out the Gett movie , as I needed to get a Gett about seven years ago. No drama here though.

ajzepp

« Reply #143 on: 16 Oct 2015, 05:37 am »
Nice write ups guys!! Nick Cave? Peeky Blinders will be next up.
I will check out the Gett movie , as I needed to get a Gett about seven years ago. No drama here though.

Aww man, sorry to hear that...divorce sucks man!  Been there...got the t-shirt

dgrambo

« Reply #144 on: 16 Oct 2015, 06:38 am »
I thought Lilyhammer was really good. Little Stevie is a good lead player. (pun intended)  Also, guilty pleasure: Trailer Park Boys series. Granted, its an aquired taste but not easily forgotten.  Also, a bonus season of Arrested Development, not to be found elsewhere. (More Firefly..? Bring it Netflix!) Stay tuned folks.

fex02

« Reply #145 on: 16 Oct 2015, 09:42 am »
Streamed "The World Made Straight" last night. Gritty Southern tragedy with a muttering problem. Nonetheless, there is enough intelligible dialogue to keep you in the story. Story is good, concept intriguing, and soundtrack engrossing. Represents a workout for our subs.

i thought it sucked.subs????????

soundbitten1

« Reply #146 on: 16 Oct 2015, 08:09 pm »
Streamed "The World Made Straight" last night. Gritty Southern tragedy with a muttering problem. Nonetheless, there is enough intelligible dialogue to keep you in the story. Story is good, concept intriguing, and soundtrack engrossing. Represents a workout for our subs.

It was good. Took a while to recognize Steve Earle playing the heavy. I thought he did a good job.

I watched Narcos for a few episodes and then lost interest. I just started Californication ... wooah!

Phil A

« Reply #147 on: 16 Oct 2015, 08:26 pm »
Aww man, sorry to hear that...divorce sucks man!  Been there...got the t-shirt

Twice for me and brown hair once. 8)

JoshK

« Reply #148 on: 16 Oct 2015, 08:34 pm »
Once some 5 years ago.  Don't think I'll do it again anytime soon.  Much funner being a bachelor for now.

persisting1

« Reply #149 on: 17 Oct 2015, 12:04 am »
More Firefly..?

One can dream. Hopefully this will happen.

JoshK

« Reply #150 on: 21 Oct 2015, 04:38 pm »
This is going on my watchlist for sure.  Its Amazon Prime, but hope it comes out some other way.

https://youtu.be/zQhXKW5SwGA

ajzepp

« Reply #151 on: 24 Oct 2015, 01:41 pm »
This is going on my watchlist for sure.  Its Amazon Prime, but hope it comes out some other way.

https://youtu.be/zQhXKW5SwGA

Wow, that looks pretty damn good

Looks like eps 1 and 2 are available to watch now...I'm gonna check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Scott F.

« Reply #152 on: 24 Oct 2015, 02:39 pm »
That looks awesome :thumb: just added it to our watch list!

ajzepp

« Reply #153 on: 24 Oct 2015, 04:32 pm »
Just finished the first two eps...this show is very, very good, but also very, very disturbing. As someone who was raised in large part by extended family who fought in WWII, some of this is hard to watch. At the same time, it's very engaging and intense, and I will absolutely look forward to finishing the series when it comes out later next month.

stlrman

« Reply #154 on: 25 Oct 2015, 05:59 pm »
I look forward to seeing this mini series as well.
A friend told me Beasts of No Nation on Netflix is amazing !!
 Also the wife and I have watched a bunch of  Trailor Park Boys  :thumb:
And we have watched every episode of Portlandia .

stlrman

« Reply #155 on: 13 Nov 2015, 04:31 pm »
Bloodline ,
Wow!! The wife and I just finished the first and only season. It was a fantastic series! :thumb:
Here is a reviewer who gives five reasons it's the best Neflix series ever produced.
http://www.cinemablend.com/m/television/5-Reasons-Bloodline-Netflix-Best-Drama-Yet-70809.html

The wife and I both give it 5 out 5 stars.
Watch it. Fantastic acting, intense and exciting story line, great cinamatograhy !

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #156 on: 13 Nov 2015, 04:41 pm »
Bloodline ,
Wow!! The wife and I just finished the first and only season. It was a fantastic series! :thumb:
Here is a reviewer who gives five reasons it's the best Neflix series ever produced.
http://www.cinemablend.com/m/television/5-Reasons-Bloodline-Netflix-Best-Drama-Yet-70809.html

The wife and I both give it 5 out 5 stars.
Watch it. Fantastic acting, intense and exciting story line, great cinamatograhy !

+1

It's very well done. The mood, the tone, and yes the cinematography are all very well integrated with great acting. Ben Mendlesohn is an exceptional actor.

asliarun

« Reply #157 on: 13 Nov 2015, 07:25 pm »
+1

It's very well done. The mood, the tone, and yes the cinematography are all very well integrated with great acting. Ben Mendlesohn is an exceptional actor.

And of course Kyle Chandler. One of the most enjoyable TV series I have watched on Netflix has been Friday Night Lights (in which he is the head coach). I am also quite a sucker for sports based movies. Even the formulaic ones - I can just keep watching them one after the other. But Friday Night Lights isn't formulaic, and is in fact a very different kind of series.

stlrman

« Reply #158 on: 25 Nov 2015, 02:52 pm »
Do watch Beasts of No Nation.  :thumb:  It's gripping ! :thumb:
Nominated for five Independent Spirit Awards!

http://www.indiewire.com/article/carol-spotlight-and-beasts-of-no-nation-lead-31st-film-independent-spirit-awards-nominees-20151124

jazzcourier

« Reply #159 on: 29 Nov 2015, 11:59 pm »
A HARD DAY    Just went into streaming on Netflix. Black comedy?  Tense chase drama? Wacky Fargo like irony? This is a Korean film that bites down hard and leaves a mark with a few giggles.Check it out