LIO AVC/Tubestage combo module - coming August!

Vinnie R.

LIO AVC/Tubestage combo module - coming August!
« on: 26 Jun 2015, 03:14 pm »
All,

The LIO AVC/Tubestage combo module design is ready for production!  8)

Today I ordered the blank PCBs (they will be red, just like other LIO modules), Slagleformers,
and other parts.  I should have all the parts in hand around mid-July, and should be able to start
shipping early August.

We'll be adding this module to our website as soon as we can take pics.  As you probably know from discussion
on this forum, LIO AVC/Tubestage:

- combines LIO AVC module, followed by LIO Tubestage module - all on one module.
- will have jumpers to allow it to be ran in AVC-only mode, or AVC/Tubestage combo mode.
- cost = $2,195

Please refer to this announcement regarding pricing, effective August 1st:
http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=8732927ed821bd32f5f0fca4b&id=197b4a52c4&e=c5c4952066

What about LIO "early adopters" who already purchased AVC, RVC, or RVC + Tubestage modules?

I really appreciate the enthusiasm and support of our LIO customers so far, and have decided to allow for a
100% trade-up policy until 24:00 (midnight US EDT), July 31, 2015.   :idea:

What this means is that if you would like to trade-up your AVC, RVC, or both RVC + Tubestage combo for
the upcoming LIO AVC/Tubestage module, I will give you 100% trade-in credit for them if you pay for the
difference (securing your order), before 24:00 (midnight US EDT), July 31, 2015.  When we have your
AVC/Tubestage ready to ship, we will contact you to ship your trade-in module(s) and we'll ship the
AVC/Tubestage. 

After 24:00 (midnight US EDT), July 31, 2015, we will no longer offer this 100% trade-in of AVC, RVC, or RVC +
Tubestage towards the AVC/Tubestage module.  It is *possible* that we will still over some forum of trade-in
(e.g. 50%), but not at 100%.

http://vinnierossi.com/store/#!/AVC-Tubestage-combo-module/p/51938116/category=13223079

** Please note that this offer only applies to trade-up of AVC, RVC, or RVC + Tubestage towards AVC/Tubestage.  No
other modules are eligible.  :rules:

** Customer pays for return shipping of trade-in modules, and for shipping of AVC/Tubestage module.

** This trade-up does not mean that I'll be able to offer trade-ins on future modules (e.g. When we come out with
a low-power Class A output stage module, it does not mean we'll be offering trade-in of LIO MOSFET AMP module).  We
cannot always offer trade-ins, but will evaluate things on a case-by-case basis to see what might be possible.

I'll be posting more pics / details to this thread soon enough!  :hyper:

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2015, 02:22 am by Vinnie R. »

Big Red Machine

Re: LIO AVC/Tubestage combo module - coming August!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2015, 03:52 pm »
So is that on top of the base Lio price?

"- combines LIO AVC module, followed by LIO Tubestage module - all on one module.
- will have jumpers to allow it to be ran in AVC-only mode, or AVC/Tubestage combo mode.
- cost = $2,195"

Also, any date on the XLR outputs?

And, how much do we lose with the RVC over the AVC in quality of sound?  I'm trying to keep this under $3k out of the box.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2015, 04:46 pm »
So is that on top of the base Lio price?

"- combines LIO AVC module, followed by LIO Tubestage module - all on one module.
- cost = $2,195"

Also, any date on the XLR outputs?

And, how much do we lose with the RVC over the AVC in quality of sound?  I'm trying to keep this under $3k out of the box.

Hi BRM,

Current base LIO price is $1995 (and as noted in the link above, it going up on Aug 1st). 

This doe NOT include the AVC/Tubestage module ($2195).   

Still working on the BALANCED INPUT / OUTPUT modules... hoping for a release in August.  Might be later in that month, but they
are coming soon!

And, how much do we lose with the RVC over the AVC in quality of sound?

It's hard to quantify.  RVC is an excellent volume control - just as good as any high quality stepped attenuator (Goldpoint and DACT come to mind), but with 64 steps instead of 24, and with remote control and balance control built in.  And RVC is better than a stereo potentiometer used in most gear (even the good Alps Blue used in the RWA components). 

AVC is in a whole other league.  See this thread for more info if you haven't already: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132725.0

In the 6moons LIO review, the RVC and AVC were compared (along with AVC vs. RVC + Tubestage). 

All the best,

Vinnie

Timbana

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2015, 11:13 pm »

What this means is that if you would like to trade-up your AVC, RVC, or both RVC + Tubestage combo for
the upcoming LIO AVC/Tubestage module, I will give you 100% trade-in credit for them if you pay for the
difference (securing your order), before 24:00 (midnight US EDT), July 31, 2015.  When we have your
AVC/Tubestage ready to ship, we will contact you to ship your trade-in module(s) and we'll ship the
AVC/Tubestage. 

Vinnie,

Please count me in! How do I get in line to make the trade-up?

Thanks,

Charlie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2015, 02:22 am »
Hi Charlie,

I just added it in our store, so you can order it (and even select the trade-in option, if any):

http://vinnierossi.com/store/#!/AVC-Tubestage-combo-module/p/51938116/category=13223079

Details and pics on that store page coming soon...

Thanks,

Vinnie

Mitch751

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2015, 03:11 am »
Vinnie
If I only use it as DAC , will it improve the sound quality in general ?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2015, 03:14 am »
Vinnie
If I only use it as DAC , will it improve the sound quality in general ?

Hi Mitch,

If you are only using LIO as a dac (feeding into another preamp), then you would not need this module.

If you are using LIO as a dac + preamp to feed another power amp, then YES - it would improve sound quality.

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

Timbana

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2015, 04:51 am »
Thanks Vinnie!

firedog

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2015, 10:25 am »
Vinnie-

Jumpers? does this mean you'd have to open the box to switch between the 2 modes? Or an external switch on the back of the LIO?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jun 2015, 11:52 am »
Thanks Vinnie for the thorough answers.

So will the XLR module be one I can add later and be compatible with RVC and Tube stage? Based on the readings the RVC may be more to my liking to start.

Keep up the fantastic work Vinnie (and your lovely wife as well) - great team!

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2015, 01:18 pm »

What about LIO "early adopters" who already purchased AVC, RVC, or RVC + Tubestage modules?

I really appreciate the enthusiasm and support of our LIO customers so far, and have decided to allow for a
100% trade-up policy until 24:00 (midnight US EDT), July 31, 2015.   :idea:

First off, this is an incredibly generous offer for us LIO early adopters, especially as you've come to understand your true costs. Thank you again Vinnie  :thumb:

Despite this, I've ever so slightly struggled with this decision, perhaps for the reasons that wily BRM hints at. I've happily lived with a balanced TAP-X with Slagleformers for quite some time. It displaced a string of very good and considerably more expensive preamps. It is truly a terrific piece if you crave that crisp clean unvarnished and neutral window of sound (I do), knowing you're hearing every single nuance that is there. It leaves nothing to chance, yet does it without sounding sterile and thin, and messing up the music, no bad habits whatsoever. It has soul, dynamic drive, and jump factor where many passives do not. Quite a trick really. I'd describe it as very similar to the FirstWatt F5's I've built. Problem is, EVERY piece of my system does this to some extent, and it already sounded superb for my tastes.

But, here's the rub. When I inserted the LIO RVC/Tube stage configuration in my system, the result was a magical step forward. Not a giant leap, or a "killed it" sort of thing, but overall a much better vibe. It has stayed in place since the first day, other than a couple quick comparisons for sanity's sake. I suppose I could chalk it up to that whole "synergy" thing, which is a bit hard to understand in practice. It is certainly more than that though, as LIO is just extraordinarily well conceived and executed, a new benchmark product. As Vinnie said, the RVC is, compared to most VC's, already very special. That transparency and immediacy is still there. The LIO added a dash more soul, a slight pinch of sweetness, a wee bit tighter and more articulate bass, and it all works supremely well with my TAD E1's. No doubt about it, the sum of the parts is just mo' betta in my system. I could live with it for a long time or even call it done, none the wiser to this new option.

The LIO makes me smile every time I turn it on. So, do I take another leap and spoil the magic synergy? Here is the beauty of the LIO architecture! I can just plug the new module in and compare for it 30 days :D No need to sell the existing pre to fund the next one and wonder if I did the right thing. I totally blew this in a previous preamp cycle long before LIO, regretted it terribly, had to eat crow, lost some cash on the sale, you all know how that goes at times. It's part of the hobby.

Thanks to this offer and the modular approach, I'm going to order one up and listen and decide for myself, no risk at all. A little over $1k exchange and some listening time. I'm getting even more than I ever expected. You have to love it  :thumb:

Vinnie R.

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2015, 04:36 pm »
Vinnie-

Jumpers? does this mean you'd have to open the box to switch between the 2 modes? Or an external switch on the back of the LIO?

Hi firedog,

Yes, if you want to change from AVC/Tubestage mode to AVC mode (or vise versa), you remove the two thumbscrews and slide
the top cover off.  Then swap the two jumpers and you're ready to go.

So will the XLR module be one I can add later and be compatible with RVC and Tube stage? Based on the readings the RVC may be more to my liking to start.

Keep up the fantastic work Vinnie (and your lovely wife as well) - great team!

Thanks, BRM!

Yes, you can order the XLR INPUTS module and/or XLR OUTPUTS module later and swap with the standard INPUTS / OUTPUTS module.  They will be compatible with everything.

Hi TomS,

I can't think of anyone who loves RVC + Tubestage that will not love AVC/Tubestage even more.  I put in a solid listening session last night.  AVC + Tubestage is the perfect marriage and they really compliment each other.

Compared to RVC + Tubestage (which as you know is very impressive already), AVC/Tubestage:

- Even better transient response and dynamics
- More open and transparent sounding
- Finer low-level (low volume) detail retrieval. 
- Even better unraveling of subtle textures and nuances in the music
- Worth noting for those who have not tried the AVC:  It uses different relays (Pickering England)
that are virtually silent when you change volume level. 

Just configured as a LIO preamp (linestage, with INPUTS and AVC/TUBESTAGE modules only) - I don't know of
any preamp that comes close to sounding this good anywhere at this price point, and I'm talking Aug 1st prices.
At current pricing, it's a steal!   

30-day return policy lets YOU be the judge.  :singing:

Vinnie

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2015, 09:01 pm »
My order is in and I can't wait to hear it  :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2015, 09:03 pm »
So this is Autoformer wtih tubes?  Balanced?

schw06

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2015, 09:47 pm »
Me too!

TomS

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2015, 01:14 am »
So this is Autoformer wtih tubes?  Balanced?
Single ended AVC with the same topology tube stage all on one board. They wouldn't both fit before. Balanced I/O is a separate module though the LIO platform is single ended throughout internally.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2015, 01:21 am »
Balanced I/O is a separate module though the LIO platform is single ended throughout internally.
Right but for those that use balanced external amps and source it would be nice.  Maybe.

kngale1

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2015, 01:30 am »

Yes, you can order the XLR INPUTS module and/or XLR OUTPUTS module later and swap with the standard INPUTS / OUTPUTS module.  They will be compatible with everything.

Vinnie,
What's the XLR input and output modules retail price?

kngale1

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jun 2015, 01:33 am »
Right but for those that use balanced external amps and source it would be nice.  Maybe.
I agree!  No Maybe 8)

Vinnie R.

« Reply #19 on: 28 Jun 2015, 02:05 am »
I agree!  No Maybe 8)

All,

The BALANCED INPUTS and OUTPUTS modules should be out sometime in August. 

Pricing and details coming soon (next month).

- Vinnie