Maggie 3.7i's or 20.7's? Room Size and Power Questions - Need Your Expertise

Slapshot

Hello, I've been a major fan of Maggies for many years, and currently own a pair of .7's in my office system. I had been waiting for a day when I had more space, and could move up to 3.7i's for a long time, as I love those speakers. The day has finally come, as I have recently moved to a different home. I was quite excited, at first, because it was obvious from the day I walked through to view the new house, there was clearly enough room for the 3.7i's. Now I'm wondering if I couldn't manage to get a pair of 20.7's in there, instead. Granted, to afford those, I would need to buy used, but still, they do pop up for sale.

The new room dimensions are as follows - 19 x 14.5 (14.5 feet is to the listening position). The room is open at the rear, leading into the kitchen, dining room (it is all one open floorplan).

And so, the question is, will the space accommodate a pair of 20.7's and allow them to perform as they should?

In addition, I already two different amplifier solutions that I know will work with the 3.7i's. How much additional power is needed to drive the 20.7's optimally?

Any thoughts, expertise, or recommendations greatly appreciated. Even the inkling of possibly being able to own 20.7's has me excited.

Slapshot

Wow, this is the last place where I would have expected no replies or help after two days

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I owned 3.6 Maggies in a 11'8" by 28' room. I wanted to go for 20. 7 but was afraid too much bass, I bought the 20.7 and after a few years now can say glad I did. My main thing to say is they took a very long time to break in, the low level detail was just not perfect for about a year, and finally really came into it's own only after a year.. Basically it kind of vanished into the floor I listen to a lot of chamber classical, and never at high volumes. So taht may explain it a bit. I think if you play loud, they will break in faster.
Same amp from 3.6 a Bryston 4B-SST²
As for getting answers, LOL
People should be spending all day waiting for anyone to ask questions so they can rush to answer, No life allowed except in dedicated service to guys like you. Sorry we all let you down. I will see the offending minions get punished.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
14.5" might be a little too close for comfort.  If you look at the design the mylar doesn't start until it's around 20" or so up off of the floor.
Can you flip it around so you're doing 19 x 14.5 instead of 14.5 x 19? 
I can't see the room but I think that might work well for you.

I didn't find a need for more power with 20.7s over 3.7s but my amps are 300W tube monoblocks so power isn't an issue here.

I'd love to get another set but my room is just too small and they were overpowering - the trombone in the phone booth effect as Wendall put it.

mav52

Heck call Magnepan and ask them, after all they are the speaker manufacturer and they do know the setup and space required for their speakers. Toll-Free Phone: 800-474-1646

johnto

I would think you'd be fine you're basically adding deeper bass so you may not need a sub. I have 3.7i in a 12 x 15 room with a couple of subs and they sound great.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  IMHO you could use either. The 20.7 could use a bit more width however not choice killer. Power. Would recommend SS Amp with a minimum of 250W/ch. At 4 Ohms the SS amp doubles power. A tubed preamp if using SS Amp. Finding an affordable tubed Amp with juice may be cost prohibitive. I like Class "D" hybrid amp with 500W/ch at 8 Ohm and 1000Wat 4 Ohm. My 2 cents.

charles

Slapshot

I owned 3.6 Maggies in a 11'8" by 28' room. I wanted to go for 20. 7 but was afraid too much bass, I bought the 20.7 and after a few years now can say glad I did. My main thing to say is they took a very long time to break in, the low level detail was just not perfect for about a year, and finally really came into it's own only after a year.. Basically it kind of vanished into the floor I listen to a lot of chamber classical, and never at high volumes. So taht may explain it a bit. I think if you play loud, they will break in faster.
Same amp from 3.6 a Bryston 4B-SST²
As for getting answers, LOL
People should be spending all day waiting for anyone to ask questions so they can rush to answer, No life allowed except in dedicated service to guys like you. Sorry we all let you down. I will see the offending minions get punished.
Apologies, I do realize that people have other things to do with their lives besides answering questions here. I left that message after a particularly difficult day, yesterday, which I tried to block out with a significant quantity of wine last night. I believe the quantity of wine disrupted my normal sensibility about such matters.

Slapshot

14.5" might be a little too close for comfort.  If you look at the design the mylar doesn't start until it's around 20" or so up off of the floor.
Can you flip it around so you're doing 19 x 14.5 instead of 14.5 x 19? 
I can't see the room but I think that might work well for you.

I didn't find a need for more power with 20.7s over 3.7s but my amps are 300W tube monoblocks so power isn't an issue here.

I'd love to get another set but my room is just too small and they were overpowering - the trombone in the phone booth effect as Wendall put it.

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately, I can't make flipping things around work, as the speakers would be directly in the entryway to the home. I suppose 3.7i's just make more since, given the circumstances. And yes, your 300 watt tube monoblocks. VTL's if I remember correctly? Very nice amps.

Rusty Jefferson

...The new room dimensions are as follows - 19 x 14.5 (14.5 feet is to the listening position). The room is open at the rear, leading into the kitchen, dining room (it is all one open floorplan)....
Could you post a simple drawing of your floorplan with the dimensions, please?  I've taken this statement to mean the listening area is 19' wide with the speakers at 1 end, and the listening position 14.5' away with no walls behind the listening position as it opens to the kitchen.  That arrangement would easily accommodate the 20.7.

Elizabeth

The op floorplan is very similar to mine. My 20/7 speakers are at the window end on 11' 8" wall 42" from rear wall. 18" from side walls.
I sit about 8 to 9' away chair is about in middle of room and also my kitchen is to back on one side, a hall to front door on other back side. (with a 3' wide pair of closets between, so the wall of closet of about 7'behind my listening position, and the hall and kitchen extend an additional 9' to 10' more.
My Maggies are toed in a lot. the right angle axis crosses in front of my listening position. tweeter in.
I carefully dialed them in with female vocals to get the position best it can be with greatest clarity.
They are also up on 1.5x1.5  with varying lengths 24" 18" 6" (exotic wood) Bloodwood under the oval stock base. which improves clarity and midbass.
I tried other exotic woods and the Bloodwood was the best for my situation/ ears (the Bloodwood sits on small fingers of oak at ends so they do not get dampened in carpet.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  You did say optimum setup correct ? You can make the 20.7 work but not its best. Maggies need space around them for that period. Going sideways is not optimum. You need to hear Maggies in a large room and will know exactly what I am saying. Stick to 3.7i.

charles

jimbones

my buddy has the 20.7 in a large room, 22 by 19. Before he bought them we auditioned  both the 3.7 and 20.7. I preferred the 3.7i.The 20.7 is very good just a little thick on the low end. I think the 3.7 is the sweet spot in the line up.

Elizabeth

thick? LOL that is an associated equipment or room problem

I.Greyhound Fan

thick? LOL that is an associated equipment or room problem

Or positioning problem.  But E is right about equipment.  Maggies at least in my experience are really sensitive to changes in electronics and positioning.

Slapshot

Could you post a simple drawing of your floorplan with the dimensions, please?  I've taken this statement to mean the listening area is 19' wide with the speakers at 1 end, and the listening position 14.5' away with no walls behind the listening position as it opens to the kitchen.  That arrangement would easily accommodate the 20.7.

Rusty, you have the floorplan exactly correct.

dawkimi

Agree that 20.7s would with that room.  I didn't need to change amps when moving from the 3.6s to 20.7s, but have Threshold SA/1s which can power just about anything.  Good luck.