input level question for CI VPC-1 (long)

jk@home

input level question for CI VPC-1 (long)
« on: 9 Apr 2008, 02:36 pm »
I recently picked up a used VPC-1, to dip my toes into the whole passive preamp thing  :D

I am using it in a secondary two-channel system, consisting of just two digital sources (Squeezebox SB3 and the digital output feed from my cable box, for Music Choice). These go into a M-Audio CO3 for digital conversion and switching, then into a Behringer DEQ2496 unit, for EQ and DAC. The VPC-1 passive goes between the DEQ and my power amp, an Aragon 8002 modded with Jensen input trannys on the XLR inputs.

I checked the CI unit out by using some spare Kimber 3-conductor PBJ interconnects, with one end of each cable converted to XLR. On the Behringer end, I only used pin 1 and 2, (hot + and ground) which forces the EQ to output a lower than "full pro" voltage level (but still over 2 volts). The Aragon is set up so that the input XLR connector pins 2 and 3 feed the internally mounted Jensen transformers, which in turn feed the single ended inputs of the amp. Pin 1 goes to the Aragon's chassis ground (I originally did this Jensen mod the Aragon for another system/ setup, which involved long cables). The cables in this new setup only need to be 12-18" long, but I still may need proper shielding.

In this setup, the passive worked OK, with good output at the 12 o'clock setting of the volume control.

Now I am ready to make some permanent cables, using Belden 89207, which is a twisted pair w/ shield cable. I discovered that the CI unit does not ground it's RCA "-" to the chassis.
So I am thinking I can try using all three pins from the Behringer, which will output a higher voltage level signal. This will allow me to ground the shield of both the input and output cables to the chassis of the VPC-1, which means the shielding will go straight through from the Behringer to the Aragon, and not be in the cable's "-" signal path. I can then compare that with the Kimbers.

So...to my questions. First, will the VPC-1 handle a full voltage "pro equipment" signal? I am assuming I need to remove a jumper inside the unit, to reduce the level "seen" by the volume control? I didn't get a manual with this unit, what screws does one remove to access the internal jumpers? Also, what effect if any, does the Jensen input transformers (JT-11-P1) have on the output of the VPC-1? I'm thinking the tranny actually increases the input impedance a little, which would be a good thing, right?

Thanks
John

CIAudio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.ciaudio.com
Re: input level question for CI VPC-1 (long)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2008, 12:09 am »
You can't use the balanced signal into a single-ended passive (the grounds are tied together).
You can use a twisted pair connected to ground and the plus or minus phase signal(not both).
The shield can be connected to ground at one end of the cable, and left open on the other.

jk@home

Re: input level question for CI VPC-1 (long)
« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2008, 12:35 am »
Thanks, I'll hook them up like the Kimbers