Nissan radio USB setup

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Nissan radio USB setup
« on: 19 Jan 2021, 04:34 am »
Anybody drive a newer Nissan automobile? How do you format the USB drive (which format), as well as how do you set up the file structure of the MP3s? Is there a size limit on what drive you can use?

Mag

Re: Nissan radio USB setup
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2021, 05:07 am »
I don't drive a Nissan.
The format for usb stick is probably Fat32, your computer should be able to format a usb stick automatically.
As for size of drive, you can go any size but the larger size maybe a problem for your deck to load all the files. For a car 32 gigs should be plenty and being mp3 that should be more than enough, don't you think.

You could also probably use wav files if you want better quality. An 8 gig usb stick could probably hold about 10 albums or about 150 songs give or take.

As for Files you usually put them in a folder, label the folder by album name or genre like pop, rock, etc.. Your deck should show/list the folders and the you just click on one, select a song and it should play. You may also be able to select random, shuffle, repeat, sequential play.

GentleBender

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2021, 10:09 am »
I did a little digging and found this. https://www.nissanmurano.org/threads/usb-for-music.210057/
This post had the most information:
Here's what I found out by trial and error. The usb has to be formatted in Fat32 only. You can use MP3,MPE1, MPEG3, WMA, AAC. Use a average bitrate of 256. WMA uses 192 max bitrate. Sampling rate max 48 khz. Nothing else will play.

The problem with large usb's is the way the car reads the files. I wouldn't go more than 32MB because when you move the files to the usb, whatever was written first will be the first file/folder you see. Kind of weird. First clean up all the files, names folders (put albums in a folder of the artist. You can have many albums under the artest's name.} bit rates, khz, etc first. Then load the files on a usb in an order which you would like. Just grabbing a bunch of folders and dragging them to the usb will not guarantee that they will write first to last. Like a to b could be h to a. To get to folders/files you will have to scroll down to locate the folder or music you want to play. There is no voice activation/search as far as I have found out. To me that's very inconvenient. Nice idea, but somebody didn't think this through.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2021, 04:53 am »
It is a Scandisk Extreme Go USB 3.1  64GB. Original format was exFAT. Changed to NTFS. Added three folders to sort music (only 1.55GB right now).

Works fine, even with a Targus USB hub (used as an extension due to the location). Of course, music is all out of sequence.

Digi-G

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2021, 09:58 pm »
Any chance it's using the meta data embedded in the file?

I ran into this with my "new" car that's a 2013 model.  It actually doesn't want a folder structure (i.e. it will ignore it).  It doesn't care about the filenames - ALL of the music data comes from the meta data buried in the file.  Boy, that was a new experience for me to use that.  I think I've got it figured out now tho.

My car reads several formats but the only usable one for me is MP3.  It won't read FLAC or a couple of the other lossless formats that I really wanted to use.  I've been using WAV but wanted to get away from it so I could embed images into my music files.  Reliably, I mean.  WAV will do it if its the second Tuesday of the month and the wind is blowing northernly above 12 miles per hour.  Otherwise it's unpredictable.